Whey Protein with just milk?

Options
I haven't tried it yet cause I'm kinda nervous it will taste disgusting.

Normally, I will put Whey Protein in a shake, but if I just wanted a cup of milk and put a scoop of whey protein in there, would it taste okay?

Does anybody else do this?

Replies

• delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Im not sure what the best thing to do is in a situation like this. If it's nasty you'll have that taste in your mouth *and* you will have wasted both milk and whey powder.

I hope someone comes in with a solution. Sophie's Choice, or Catch 22, you know?

I support you, OP!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I do it, and yeah it can be pretty gross depending on your protein powder. I have to choke mine down, but if I don't have enough calories to do a real shake and need the protein, I'll do it.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I decided to push the envelope and mix whey powder with milk this morning.
  • delicious_cocktail
    Options

Are you okay??
  • Just_Jon
    Just_Jon Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I normally use chocolate whey protein with water, but I add some unsweetened cocoa and cinnamon. I tried milk once but it didn't taste much different and I didn't need the extra calories.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Ok, here's what you do:

1 - Grab a glass. Any old glass will do, preferably a clean one, but the type doesn't really matter.
    2 - Get some milk out of the fridge. Make sure it is not expired. It will NOT taste good NO MATTER WHAT if it is expired. Check the expiration date. If you cannot find the expiration date, sniff it and see if it smells weird (like other than fresh milk).
    3 - Once you have determined that the milk is good, pour it into the glass. Do not overflow, keep the milk inside the glass. This is important.
    4 - Add one scoop of whatever whey protein you normally use to the glass of milk you just created.
    5 - Mix it really well. Hopefully you have not overfilled the glass, you don't want to make a mess.
    6 - Now, very carefully, take a sip of the milk mixed with whey protein.
    7 - If it tastes good to you, outstanding!! You have just created a drink you can enjoy and get a healthy intake of protein to boot. CONGRATULATIONS!!
    8 - If it does not taste good to you, stop drinking it immediately and never make this drink again. This is something you will not enjoy again in the future. Pour any unused portion down the sink and wash the glass.

I hope this helps. Good luck!
  • jwdieter
    Options

Are you okay??

Yes, but I didn't add banana and ice, so I feel like my shake wasn't all it could have been. Lingering regret that may never be resolved.
  • stefaniemazz
    stefaniemazz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Ok, here's what you do:

1 - Grab a glass. Any old glass will do, preferably a clean one, but the type doesn't really matter.
    2 - Get some milk out of the fridge. Make sure it is not expired. It will NOT taste good NO MATTER WHAT if it is expired. Check the expiration date. If you cannot find the expiration date, sniff it and see if it smells weird (like other than fresh milk).
    3 - Once you have determined that the milk is good, pour it into the glass. Do not overflow, keep the milk inside the glass. This is important.
    4 - Add one scoop of whatever whey protein you normally use to the glass of milk you just created.
    5 - Mix it really well. Hopefully you have not overfilled the glass, you don't want to make a mess.
    7 - If it tastes good to you, outstanding!! You have just created a drink you can enjoy and get a healthy intake of protein to boot. CONGRATULATIONS!!
    8 - If it does not taste good to you, stop drinking it immediately and never make this drink again. This is something you will not enjoy again in the future. Pour any unused portion down the sink and wash the glass.

LOL...thanks..
  • delicious_cocktail
    Options

Are you okay??

Yes, but I didn't add banana and ice, so I feel like my shake wasn't all it could have been. Lingering regret that may never be resolved.

I've reflected on your situation. Could I be so bold as to provide you some advice?
  • jwdieter
    Options

Are you okay??

I've reflected on your situation. Could I be so bold as to provide you some advice?

I've noticed your thoughtful responses to other topics, and I'm sure you could assist me, and through me, the rest of MFP.
  • ZoeLifts
    Options
    Ok, here's what you do:

LOL...thanks..

You are welcome.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    ignore the H8ers OP, they're just jealous.

you were right to ask this question here. you need experts to help you navigate this minefield. a bad tasting protein shake could conceivably land you in the hospital for a lengthy stay.

i can't help you because i haven't stayed in a Holiday Inn Express for many years, but good luck with your journey!

PS - i drink whey powder mixed with 2% milk all the time and it tastes good to me.
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I love strawberry protein with milk. I look forward to it every night after my workout. I will also add a scoop of black raspberry ice cream if I have left over cal room and that makes it even more delicious.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    wait....you can mix it with milk?!

i mix mine with water and it tastes great!
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    The-Rock-Confused-Smile.gif
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Ok, here's what you do:

i disagree with #8 above. there are poor starving brahs in china who are making their protein shakes with dirt. wasting whey powder by pouring it down the drain should never be an option. >:(
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I do it, and yeah it can be pretty gross depending on your protein powder.

Same here. Chocolate generally does okay for me and I tend to use it because it will still be tolerable if I add it to just water, but I REALLY have to work to choke down vanilla, especially if I'm only doing it with water.
  • delicious_cocktail
    Options

Are you okay??

I've noticed your thoughtful responses to other topics, and I'm sure you could assist me, and through me, the rest of MFP.

Thank you for your kind words. Before I go on to provide my thoughts on your predicament, I would like to take the opportunity to express my gratitude for your acknowledgement of the broader population of the site. Not everyone comments on every thread; oftimes there will be what are called "lurkers" who read the forums but do not contribute. These people might also benefit from thoughts generated by others including, if I may be so immodest, myself.

On to your problem! I understand the sense of loss you have. By making a beverage that you know wasn't all it could have been, it's perfectly human to be left with the sense that there was insufficient resolution. Resolution is very important in all of our endeavors; after all, without closure, all remains open. We would be destroyed by the weight.

I suggest that at some time in the near future, you endeavor to make yet another beverage, this time including the frozen water and bananas, as well as the other ingredients. I must warn you that it may fail to meet your expectations, but when that occurs, you can at least rest well at night knowing that you did everything you could.

Good luck, and God speed.
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened almond milk and ice. And for some flavors, I will at 1 packet of no cal sugar substitute to add a little sweetness.
  • ZoeLifts
    Options
    Ok, here's what you do:

i disagree with #8 above. there are poor starving brahs in china who are making their protein shakes with dirt. wasting whey powder by pouring it down the drain should never be an option. >:(

This is a good point. Thank you so much for pointing out my error, I was rather close minded. I apologize to any starving brahs out there that do not have milk and whey sufficient to their bulking needs.

OP, If I may amend my previous instructions?

8 addendum - If it rides heavy on your conscience to waste the unfinished drink, please mail the unused portion to china to the attention of starving brahs.

or

8 addendum b - alternative to the above instructions are to make a very small portion of the above mix to sample. I would reduce amount of whey in the scoop as well, so as not to overpower the milk.