Gary Taubes

Options
Just wondering if anyone on here has

A) Read anything by Gary Taubes and done more of your own research after reading him and

B) wanted to share your thoughts on what his theory is.

It's backed up by scientifically sound research - just wanted additional thoughts from others.

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My thoughts on Tabues?

danger_scam_liar_animated.gif
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see the scientific research it is based on. From what I have heard, it is zero.
  • xoemmytee
    xoemmytee Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I do low carb but I don't worship Taubes. I believe everyone is different and some people can eat 300 grams of carbs and be perfectly healthy. I am skeptical of anyone who demonizes anything. I prefer Dr. Jeff Volek and Dr. Stephen Phinney who take a moderate stance on carbs--some people can eat lots, some people benefit by lowering them.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I've read one of his books (Why We Get Fat...), I wasn't impressed.
  • spirytwynd
    spirytwynd Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Who is Gary Taubes?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Check out James Krieger at weightology.net to get a good rebuttal to Taubes.

IMO: Taubes is wrong.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    My thoughts on Tabues?

This.

Taubes is FOC.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I'd say snake oil. Beware. In fact, ignore just about all the "gurus" --- especially ones who tell you to avoid entire food groups and those who tell you a certain oil or food will cure you of all ails from A to Z. Don't buy into all the stuff that's out there as much as you may want to.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    It's backed up by scientifically sound research - just wanted additional thoughts from others.

baby-laughing-hysterically-o.gif
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    My thoughts on Tabues?

Yup.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    ROFL

No
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

baby-laughing-hysterically-o.gif

Oh Lord, has anyone watched that video on youtube? It's a riot!! :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Some of the things Taubes says are just completely wackado...

"You don't get fat because you eat too much, you eat too much because you are fat."

Yeah, but, how did you get there in the first place?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options
    Taubes likes to sell you books. He's a good snake oil salesman.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I think Taubes will help a minority of people but for all the wrong reasons.

I think he sincerely believes in his message though.
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    So, what book(s) or articles have you read by him?
    He has 5 or 6 books and has written several articles in Science and other journals.
  • lisajsund
    Options
    And, what effect do hormones have on weight loss, which he talks about?
  • lisajsund
    Options
    I will check this out - thank you!
    Check out James Krieger at weightology.net to get a good rebuttal to Taubes.

IMO: Taubes is wrong.
  • KetoBella
    KetoBella Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Having switched to LCHF 4 months ago and keeping my daily carbs at 25 or fewer each day and losing 23 to date I can say I am more inclined to believe for some people dealing with an intolerance to carbs there is something to be said about his viewpoint.

You can say what you like as to his motives however selling books or making money is not his agenda. You can google his lectures and listen to him discuss his research without paying anything. Having gone the high carb and low fat route for years to only end up gaining more weight I don't know that doesn't work for me. It might not be right for everyone but it is unfair to call it a scam. Do your research before bashing another point of view.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Having switched to LCHF 4 months ago and keeping my daily carbs at 25 or fewer each day and losing 23 to date I can say I am more inclined to believe for some people dealing with an intolerance to carbs there is something to be said about his viewpoint.

You can say what you like as to his motives however selling books or making money is not his agenda. You can google his lectures and listen to him discuss his research without paying anything. Having gone the high carb and low fat route for years to only end up gaining more weight I don't know that doesn't work for me. It might not be right for everyone but it is unfair to call it a scam. Do your research before bashing another point of view.

are you saying that you ate high carb and low fat while in a calorie deficit and did not lose weight?

the key part is in bold.