Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Complete mental breakdown this morning

Im losing it folks. This morning I hopped on the scale just to take a peek even though I said I wasn't going to until jan 28th ( my 1year weight loss anniversary) I had recently upped my cals for two weeks in order to try to break this plateau and made some changes to my workouts as well. Basically from Sunday to Friday I was down 8lbs, it was working. Saturday I had family over for an early Christmas I ate fine nothing stupid but I indulged in alcohol and had a good time. Well here are Monday morning and all 8 lbs found there way back home. I don't know why but I just lost it, a grown *kitten* man crying in front of his wife because he gained back some weight after one night of partying. I don't know if its the stress of the holidays, a long weight loss plateau, the realization that one night of drinking will set me back 3 days or the feel of being like a dog chasing its tail constantly.

I decided that maybe I just needed a good cry. After that I went to the gym had a really good workout and before I got home told my wife to please hide the scale until jan 28th. I'm done with it.

Mental health Monday
Thanks for listening

Replies

• You are doing great!!! It will happen. Hide that scale like you said and don't worry. Stress will do lots. I cry alot!! Stress does that to me. Two small kids put alot of stress on my shoulder. You will lose it and feel great.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    You'll be OK. Keep your head on your shoulders and realize that you're going to have ups and downs. The main goal is to make a change over the long term. As long as you stick to your goal of living a healthier life and keep pushing for it, you will succeed.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    I think the general concensus is that alcohol makes you retain. Give it a few days and then weigh again. Just about everyone goes up after a night with alcohol. Just one drink for me can add about 3lbs to the scale. It will go away if thats all it was, give it time.
  • You did not gain back all 8lbs after one night of partying. You would have had to consume 28,000 calories in one night to gain 8lbs. Even on my worst eating and drinking night the most I've consumed is over 2k calories.

I bet you are retaining water from the drinking and whatever you ate.

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! After a few days you will see that your weight will be back down to normal.
  • SamanthaD1218
    SamanthaD1218 Posts: 303 Member
    Losing weight is frustrating! It's a long and slow journey. But I can almost guarantee you that you did NOT gain 8 pounds overnight - give it a little time and I'm sure you'll see a more accurate weight.

Also, sometimes you just need a good cry! Nothing to be ashamed of. Sounds like you had a great workout and are back on track. Keep up the awesome work and don't get down on yourself!
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Dude, you've lost 82 pounds! That's amazing.

This is a tough time of year, and most people either plateau or put a bit of weight on. But looking at what you've accomplished so far I have no doubt that you're going to make it to your goal.

Cut yourself some slack for the gain, and for your reaction to it. /hug
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 728 Member
    Probably water loss and water gain. Happens when you change your diet and routine sometimes. But, there are days that we all just need a good cry. I'm glad to hear that your wife was supportive. Silver lining, you appear to be well loved.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Wow! I'm so happy you posted this, but not happy that you feel the way you feel. I feel, as a woman, that we are the only ones that reach a point of helplessness and stress when it comes to the holidays and losing weight. I've cried. Not recently, but I have cried. It is hard to have control over what you consume and what you expense in exercise...and then see your body NOT react the way science tells you it should. The thing is you can't give up. People give up after times like this, because they think "Why bother? It isn't working". If you continue to maintain calories and exercise--and it doesn't break the plateau after a month or two--then you should evaluate what you are doing. Change the food you eat or change your exercise. I can't speak for everyone, but I can speak for myself--mental breakdowns happen. Luckily for you--you probably have a wonderful and supportive wife that thinks you are great and thinks the world of what you have accomplished. Be happy, not sad :)
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Can't believe no one has suggested pooping yet...LOL

It is not physically possible to gain 8 lbs in 3 days. Water weight fluctuations, maybe <--Probably....Also could be that your previous weight with the lost 8 lbs was incorrect. Maybe you were dehydrated when that one occurred.

Either way, it is all good; keep pushing and it will all workout in the end. Even a dog chasing it's tail will lose weight eventually!
  • Vicxie86
    Vicxie86 Posts: 181 Member
    That has happened to me too. The first time, it appeared i had gained 4lbs, ugh, i was a bit sad but not discouraged and within 5days, it came off. The second time, 5lbs, i knew the routine this time, so i didn't bat an eyelash. It all dropped back off within 2days this time. So, don't worry at all. Your body got super happy when it saw all that extra alcohol and wanted to save some for christmas.

Have a Merry Christmas and don't let it stop you from enjoying yourself, this is what everyone here has thought me when i almost freaked out over a christmas lunch at work.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    To be honest, it might have had something to do with your upping your calories in order to try to 'break' your plateau. If you are not losing, the answer is seldom to eat more calories.
  • Vicxie86
    Vicxie86 Posts: 181 Member
    To be honest, it might have had something to do with your upping your calories in order to try to 'break' your plateau. If you are not losing, the answer is seldom to eat more calories.

He said he lost the 8lb AFTER upping his calorie
  • mgorham13
    mgorham13 Posts: 168 Member
    A lot of good stuff coming from all of you! Thank you. I am on board with the fact that it's most likely temporary water weight etc. I was just floored by my reaction. I clearly needed to just exhale have a good cry and get back to work. My wife is the best, super supportive I just know that it was scary for her. You know that feeling you get when a big dog comes running up to you and the owner is like "don't worry he's friendly, he's trained" I'm pretty sure my wife has questions as to whether or not this dog is fully trained. (she knows I'm friendly which is good). There's no way I'm going to give up. I'm stronger than I was in college , I feel great and I need clothing every two months it seems. If I need to have a mental health day every now and then so be it, that why I like MFP.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member

He said he lost the 8lb AFTER upping his calorie

Thank you. I can read. :flowerforyou:

Nonetheless, weight loss is not linear. People often continue to lose weight for a short time even after they up calories. In fact, figure competitors often take advantage of this effect in order to look extra shredded for their show. But in the long term, it will cause weight gain.