Old Soldier Tired of Being Fat

Hi there. I'm a US Soldier and I decided to start tracking my incoming and burned calories and I found mfp a good resource that has helped me immensely. My wife had been using it on and off over a year or so, but because I wasn't going along with it, it didn't work for her. Well we've been at it for over a month now and I've lost 15 pounds and she's lost about 5 or so.
Ever since I joined the Army nearly 25 years ago, fitness has been part of my profession. When I decided to go more beefcake style, I hit the weights and increased my diet. Well because I was doing it wrong, I gained lots of muscle, but I also gained fat. I stayed that way for ten years until I got tired of it. Since I started with mfp, my motivation to hit the gym has increased so I've gone from 3-4 days a week to 5-6 days per week. The walks with the dog have gotten longer and more vigorous. More importantly, I've learned portion control which has been a great help. I'm about half way to my goal and I've showed no signs of slowing.
I'm proud of how far I've gone and I'm interested to hear other people's perspectives on their journeys as well.