How to have fun with out putting on a ton!

Options
I am off to Ibiza next week YAY!! Tuesday till Thursday then when I get back I go straight down to portsmoth for my nephews 1st birthday party. We will be meeting up with my sister in laws family going for meals. They are having a huge buffet for his birthday with lots of people. Obviously in Ibiza I will be drinking but what alchol has the least calories any suggestions on how I can control my self and still have fun? I am worried that once I am not logging for a week it will go down hill I dont want to undo my good work but also don't want to be the girl stood in the corner saying no thanks im on a diet do you have carrot sticks anywhere?

Replies

• klloyd
    klloyd Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, Well 1st just have fun, then just remember to drink 2 glasses of water for every alcoholic drink you drink. (Not sure which have the least amount of calories, I'm not a drinker) Just stay away from the sweet ones.) As far as the buffet, just remember to stay away from the fried and saucy foods. Salad is always on the buffets and choose wisely. Oh and drink more water. Good luck I'll be thinking of you. Your doing awesome with the 17 pound weight loss.

Kristina
  • mhackworth
    mhackworth Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    A CNS gave me the tip that if beer is your drink, to drink a regular beer rather then light. You drink less because it's more filling and you get the effects better and drink a glass of water between each to keep hydration and a full stomach so you drink and eat less. Also try to eat proteine like a chicken breast rather then carbs while and after you've been drinking. As for the buffet, those are the worst places for someone watching their nutritional intake. I can only suggest sticking to any lean meats they may have that are not fried and the salad bar. Remember that your stomach is about the size of your palm, so you can use your hand to eyeball how much to eat, seconds should be veggies. Good luck, and have fun.

Michael
  • dale49
    dale49 Posts: 37
    Options
    I think we have to get away (somehow!) from the idea that if we are not drinking and eating up a storm we can't have fun. What got us to the point of overweight WAS the notion that every event has to be treated like an eat-fest.
    A Weight Watcher leader did an interesting exercise last year that demonstrated how fat we can be if we 'treat' ourselves at every vacation/party/event. She asked us to put up our hand if we had a special occaision that month, then that week. Then she went through the whole year recording birthdays, vacations, family gatherings. It became obvious that our lives are FULL of reasons to over-eat and drink and that if we act on them....well, we know the result.
    So now I try to think of a vacation in a non-food way by concentrating on food as fuel for my body as opposed to an on-going party. That said, you do have to eat so choose seafood, non-saucy foods, freshly grilled veggies and think of walking and swimming and the sun, sand and sea as the fun and the food as a bit incidental.
    And have fun! Just not with food.:flowerforyou:
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Try to fill up on veggies first. Then have a small portion of a dessert so you aren't depriving yourself.

Now for the alcohol.. I have tried Mike's Hard Lemonade Light.. they are only 100 calories per serving and are actually quite good. So you could opt for something like that while staying in your calories for the day.

If you can.. go swimming! It is fun and you burn so many calories doing it.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Vodka soda or white wine!!
  • Maggie1960
    Maggie1960 Posts: 322
    Options
    I think we have to get away (somehow!) from the idea that if we are not drinking and eating up a storm we can't have fun. What got us to the point of overweight WAS the notion that every event has to be treated like an eat-fest.
    A Weight Watcher leader did an interesting exercise last year that demonstrated how fat we can be if we 'treat' ourselves at every vacation/party/event. She asked us to put up our hand if we had a special occaision that month, then that week. Then she went through the whole year recording birthdays, vacations, family gatherings. It became obvious that our lives are FULL of reasons to over-eat and drink and that if we act on them....well, we know the result.
    So now I try to think of a vacation in a non-food way by concentrating on food as fuel for my body as opposed to an on-going party. That said, you do have to eat so choose seafood, non-saucy foods, freshly grilled veggies and think of walking and swimming and the sun, sand and sea as the fun and the food as a bit incidental.
    And have fun! Just not with food.:flowerforyou:

What a brilliant way of looking at things - I have been getting nervous about my niece's wedding on the 18th September, but I can see now that I can still enjoy the day without downing my bodyweight in alcohol and food. it's a great idea not to concentrate on the food and drink - I shall make the most of catching up with relatives I haven't seen for sometime and make healthy choices from the wedding buffet.
  • frogmommy
    frogmommy Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Red wine is not too bad to drink. Just have one glass of water for each glass of wine you drink :) I find that works well for me!
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    Vodka and diet coke has few calories.

I came back from magaluf on monday and spent most of sunday dying in the sun.

The buy one get one free offers with a couple of free shots to get you into the bars maybe were too tempting :bigsmile:

Most importantly drink lots of water before you start drinking, drink as much water as you can when you get in from your nights out.

Severe dehydration is horrible, i found out the hard way.

And have fun :drinker:
  • loopybec2002
    loopybec2002 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!! Salad and Veggies I love and can do. I just have to remember that chicken is good without all the sauces. Water I always forget but this holiday it will be one of my goals drink more water and always ask for a diet mixer. I am so worried about undoing all my good work because it has taken me so long to find a program that actually works for me and I think this one is working!