Running from glutes or quads

Options
2»

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I am no expert. But I been around the block a few times. Never heard this. I have heard that women tend to be more quad dominant. But, that is said in relation to the question of why they are more prone to ACL tears, not to any other running injuries or to their running with less efficiency. Anyway, that was back in the day when young girls did not play so many sports when they were very young; That tendency among women has probably changed quite a bit now.
    I do know that often when people have talked about the leg muscles used for different activities that they have tended to be wrong. For instance, people say that bicyclists who do not wear clip-in shoes tend to pedal in a quad-dominant way that is not efficient. And, it is true you feel the exertion in your quads. But, when they have actually measured, with electrodes, they have found that you actually use quite a bit of glute, particularly when you stand on the pedals, which makes sense because your hamstrings and glutes are the muscles that straighten out your hips.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Eric Orton, author of the book, "The Cool Impossible" explains and demonstrates it very well in his book, and he provides some great exercise routines and drill to build foot, ankle, knee, hip and core strength. Here is one of his videos on running form that shows why running using your glutes is ideal way to run (it is in fact key to fore-foot strike running, as opposed to heel-striking):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaYQwq6TnXY
  • Muzica1959
    Muzica1959 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Eric Orton, author of the book, "The Cool Impossible" explains and demonstrates it very well in his book, and he provides some great exercise routines and drill to build foot, ankle, knee, hip and core strength. Here is one of his videos on running form that shows why running using your glutes is ideal way to run (it is in fact key to fore-foot strike running, as opposed to heel-striking):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaYQwq6TnXY

Awesome vid and answered more than one of my questions. thanks for posting
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Sort of newish here. I apologize if this question has been covered - I looked through the forum and I don't see it so here is it:

I overheard some folks talking at the gym. They were talking about running and how regular runners, who might run several miles a week, run using primarily their glutes, whereas your average weekend warrior runs with their quads, and this is part of the reason why so many of these people get running injuries.

Is anyone here a runner? Is there any truth to this, and if so, how can you determine whether you are running using the glutes as compared to the quads?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Absolutely on the money.

New runners get "beach thighs" = they're "quad dominant". "good running form" is from the glutes and the vastus medius (the muscle on the inside of the leg just above the knee) gets larger than in a quad dominant runner.

A good way to practice is to walk up the stairs using your glutes instead of the quads. It takes a little practice. :-)

It's been a couple of years since I ran into this but there are probably You Tube videos on this.

You might want to post this in the Long Distance Runners forum here on MFP. Some of the folks there will be able to provide links.

[time passes]
    Excellent source is "Running Technique" by Brian Martin (I use the Kindle version). A detailed book that covers this topic as well as many others it "The Science of Running" by Steve Magness. Magness one of the fastest Masters runners in the world.

One item to keep in mind is turnover. At low cadence, it's easy to be quad dominant. As cadence increases, for a given speed you must land with the foot closer to the body and that' means that, for the same speed, you will tend to land on your mid foot. As you learn to run that way, you will learn - your body will learn - to engage the glutes instead of the quads.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I've been running for 15+ years and I've never heard of this. Searched Runnersworld.com for both terms and got nothing. Not sure what the overheard conversation was really about.

Most of runners world is aimed at new runners so that's not surprising. There's a lot of pablum there and lots of articles that deal in such generalities that they contradict established science. An example would be that they just recently brought their hydration information into line with what science has been telling us for a couple of decades. And I think they're still recommending stretching before running.

Running Times is more techie and then there are dozens of less popular but more technical sites and fora for folks who need more detail and/or accurate information.
  • Wanderer1234
    Options
    That's because the glutes is the second largest muscles after your abs. When you take a stride in running, it all starts with your glutes, then your hips and hamstrings. This is what produces your acceleration and deceleration. Your legs and quads only provide support and absorbs all the impact. That is why your legs, calves and foot are sore after a run or walk. There's a test called the “chair of death.” To do this test, stand facing a chair, with your toes under it, and your knees against it. Slowly lower into a squat. Are you able to squat with your quads parallel to the ground without pushing the chair forward or falling backwards? If so, you have successfully performed a squat using your glutes. If you knocked your knees into the chair, pushed the chair forward or fell backward, you are trying to use your quads to perform the movement. If you're a runner, you should google on YouTube, exercises to strengthen your glutes. You will improve your running. Also next time, look at some of their Olympic sprinters, they will all have big butts, because they need the power of the glutes for sprinting. Check out this article:

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/noglutes.html
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    That's because the glutes is the second largest muscles after your abs. When you take a stride in running, it all starts with your glutes, then your hips and hamstrings. This is what produces your acceleration and deceleration. Your legs and quads only provide support and absorbs all the impact. That is why your legs, calves and foot are sore after a run or walk. There's a test called the “chair of death.” To do this test, stand facing a chair, with your toes under it, and your knees against it. Slowly lower into a squat. Are you able to squat with your quads parallel to the ground without pushing the chair forward or falling backwards? If so, you have successfully performed a squat using your glutes. If you knocked your knees into the chair, pushed the chair forward or fell backward, you are trying to use your quads to perform the movement. If you're a runner, you should google on YouTube, exercises to strengthen your glutes. You will improve your running. Also next time, look at some of their Olympic sprinters, they will all have big butts, because they need the power of the glutes for sprinting. Check out this article:

Huh, that's going to have more to do with center of balance and length of limb segments, than what muscles are used.

I'd also love to see a video of a squat where your knees do NOT go forward at all - which is implied with toes under chair, but knees not pushing chair forward. Unless you are allowed to tilt upper body way forward and hold arms out in front to try to change center of gravity.
    And even then, above facts still apply.

That's like saying a guy with heels and rear against wall unable to touch his toes has something screwed up, compared to a woman being able to do it. Purely different anatomy.

But good points and link on glute usage.
    That's why good strong deadlifts have been found to be so powerful for distance runners.

Also point in above comment about cadence being faster, whether you really move faster or not, is just better form, almost automatically engages the glutes more.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options

I would definitely argue that the glutes, lats and quads are easily larger than abs in muscle size. But do agree that runners that use glutes to run will probably increase power and strength in running.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mandymack14
    mandymack14 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    This topic really interests me as I am just about to give running a go for the first time since I was at school, some 30 years ago. I started reading online and found this article which talks about the glute/quad issue and which has the glute test mentioned in a previous post (toes under the chair and squat).

http://powerofrun.com/2013/11/21/work-that-booty-activate-your-glutes-for-strong-running-form/
  • kaspatore
    kaspatore Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    there are absolutely no runners on this fitness website :P
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I don't run often anymore. I did a 5km fun run on the weekend. I have incredibly sore glutes now. I suppose that means I am a glute dominant runner. (I do have a big *kitten* :laugh:)