lost 50 pounds but can't see it!

Options
Iam a man and I started at 358.8 I am now down to 309.8 and I can not see any results! I have lost 6" in the waist and 1" in the hip but that is all I can see! I would have thought after losing 50LBs I would look a lot smaller. I am 6'2'' and I took a photo of me when I started and one today and put them side by side the only thing I can see is my face is not a big but not too much.

When will I see more results? I have even ask close friends can you tell anything new about me? if they say no I just tell them I am trying to lose weight. all they say is Have you lost any??? so I do not get it I have lost 50 Lbs and that's big but it must not be if no one can tell!! I just hope I am not losing all musle and not fat as I am eating only 1,400 calories a day and walking 50 mins a day 5 days a week with light weight lifting on a Bowflix at my church as that is all we have and the closest gym is 45 mins from me.

Replies

• peanut387
    Options
    they say it takes 4 weeks for you to notice and 8 weeks for everyone else to. 50 pounds is great and you are tall so it may be harder to see. I am short so i lose weight or gain and the entire world notices. I would keep up the AMAZING job and know that it how you feel not how you look.
  • Sarahnade42x
    Sarahnade42x Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I struggled to see any differences after my first 50 too, and hardly received any comments until well after that. Now I see a HUGE change from when I started, and others (and myself!) are noticing changes much more frequently. At least from my experiences, the closer you get to your goal weight, the more apparent the weight loss is.
    The best thing you can do now is trust the scale and how your clothes feel. If you keep doing what you're doing, I guarantee you'll start seeing even more profound changes in the mirror. Just don't let yourself get discouraged. And congrats on your 50 pounds!!
  • Sashoi
    Sashoi Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I can tell u the first time I lost weight I was 364 at my heaviest. No one really noticed till I was down almost a 100lbs. Now this time around I started at 305 and everyone started noticing after I lost my first 30. Why you only eating 1400, seems so little and I eat way more than that and I'm still losing weight. Just don't get discouraged because before u know it you will be dropping sizes left and right.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    the bigger you are the harder it will be to tell. but if you took pics you should definitely be able to see changes in the pictures. thats where i see my big differences. keep up the good work and soon the whole world will see.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    1400 is way to low for a man 6'2", especially if you are not eating back your exercise calories. You could very well be losing a lot of muscle, which takes up less space than fat. If you want good results, you have to feed your muscles and work them hard. Did MFP set you up with 1400?
  • briandahawaiian
    briandahawaiian Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Keep killing it bro! 6" is a great loss! i remember the first time i lost weight it took like 60lbs till my coworkers were like, hey are you losing weight? LoL!! I'm a big boy like you bro so it take it lil longer to notice! keep doing what you doing and keep taking those pix!!!
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Iam a man and I started at 358.8 I am now down to 309.8 and I can not see any results! I have lost 6" in the waist and 1" in the hip but that is all I can see! I would have thought after losing 50LBs I would look a lot smaller. I am 6'2'' and I took a photo of me when I started and one today and put them side by side the only thing I can see is my face is not a big but not too much.

That IS results, its just that the bigger you are the harder it is to see. People will probably start to notice at about 260lbs and then notice smaller poundage changes after that. Good job, keep it up!
  • helpme8319
    Options
    Thanks For all of your help. One of you asked Why I was eating 1,400 for my size. well my bmr is 2,600 so I cut 500 from that to start and was eating 2100 a day and for 3 weeks did not lose anything.

so I dropped it down to 1800 and only lost .08 lbs in a week so again I droped it down to 1,400-1,500 aday and I have had a steady loss of 2 pouns a week, sometimes even 3 pounds. and that's what worked for me.

for breakfast I eat one bowl of oatmeal with OJ, snack I eat an apple for luch, I will have a 6" turkey sub no Mayo, for snack a banana, for supper a 60z baked salmon and a bowl of grenbeans, and I also walk 5 days a week. so this is what has worked as when I was eating 1,800-2,000 I was not loseing but. .05-.08 a week

And I feel great.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Yes, 50 lbs is a lot (congratulations!) but it's still less than 15% of your start weight. I've lost nearly 17% of my start weight, and I've only had one unsolicited comment that I looked like I was losing weight. (My sister also said she could see the loss in my face, but she already knew how much I had lost, so that's not unbiased testimony.) While the tape measure and my clothes (as well as the scale) said I was losing, it's only been in the last week that I've started to think I could see it myself. That's why it's good to have all these different ways of tracking the changes (scales, pictures, tape measure, clothes, how you feel -- I can kneel again comfortably, and tie my shoes by going down on one knee instead of finding a seat or putting my foot up on things! Celebrate all the victories!)

Also, instead of asking friends (who presumably see you all the time), you could try visiting someone who hasn't seen you since before you started losing weight. They're more likely to notice the difference.