Too Fat to be a Cheerleader

Options
So I tried out for a cheer squad and I made it. However the uniform is a bare midriff top and my fat will hang out and be out there for everyone to see. I talked to my team and they don't want to change the uniform. They said I'll be fit in time to wear it but I have so much weight to lose that I'm doubtful. Should I quit?

Replies

• iwantniceabs
    iwantniceabs Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    ooh, that's tough! My initial response is to say No Way! You made the team so you deserve to be there! However, I don't know how it feels to basically have to wear something you don't feel comfortable in (I tried out for the dance team in HS and wasn't coordinated at all...didn't make it, so I never had to worry about the uniforms!) I'm sad that the team won't change the uniforms :( I guess the best advice I have is to think about it this way....at the end of the school year - will you regret not doing it?

Good luck with whatever you decide!
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Gotta make the call yourself. If you really like cheering then do it. If you are on the edge, then you might want to move on to something else. It is a tough situation you are in.

How much time you have before you'd need to wear it?
  • xxcatyxx555
    Options
    I have no clue. I mean I'm gonna work out everyday and try my hardest but it's like what if I don't lose enough in time. People will laugh at me because of my body and I don't think I can handle that kind of humiliation. But i LOVE cheering, it makes me feel powerful
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Youll regret letting fear and doubt keep you from doing something you enjoy. Don't let your self confidence keep you from a great experience. Trust me I'm old and filled with regret.

And ESPECIALLY if it makes you feel powerful! Cheering can open doors for you that you may not be able to imagine.
  • Shannon3075
    Shannon3075 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    First try to tone up and make a workout schedule, ask your fellow squad members for tips on tightening up and healthy food choices to keep you going. This will show the squad you are committed and willing to ask your team for help. If you still have a bit to go the first time you have to wear the uniform, ask if you can wear a sleeveless underarmor shirt in the same color as the uniforms main color (or white) until you are there. Usually this is allowed, especially since some squad members may have insisted this for modesty sake or have religious reasons to abstain from baring their midriff. Hope this helps! Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    If you really were too fat to cheer lead, they probably wouldn't have let you make the cut. Just sayin. You're fine. :flowerforyou:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    If you made the squad now, is this to cheer in the fall of next year? That's plenty of time to slim down. Just go for it and everything will be okay. If you made the team you belong there and don't let some stupid top stand in your way. You can always wear your sweater or jacket over and when you are on the field everyone will be too far to notice your tummy, if it's even still there by that time.

You thinking you are too fat is obviously just your perception not theirs. May I politely disagree with the girl who said talk to your team for "tips" on weight loss? Don't hand your power over to a bunch of girls. You will learn to work together for stunts and routines but don't hand your entire being over like that. Take your health and weight into your own hands and lose weight in a safe and controlled manner and don't let others into your business like that. You had what it takes to make it on the squad, you have what it takes to make your weight loss/fitness goals a reality.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I have no clue. I mean I'm gonna work out everyday and try my hardest but it's like what if I don't lose enough in time. People will laugh at me because of my body and I don't think I can handle that kind of humiliation. But i LOVE cheering, it makes me feel powerful

I suppose being a cheerleader does have some power. I wouldn't know. I was the school dork. But I do know this- don't reach for any power you aren't willing to defend.

So if you go for it, be prepared to confidently deal with snark from others regardless of your appearance and be prepared to deal with it in a way that doesn't get you in trouble or make you look bad.

Are you friends with any of the other cheerleaders? Maybe some of them can tell you what it's like and how to deal with any pressure self-esteem problems or conflict caused by it.
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Options
    you could wear a longsleeve white t shirt under it if you can. don't give up and don't quit!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Just continue to work on your fitness and calorie counting in a healthy way. Try not to worry about it now. Wait and see when the time to wear it arrives.

Have you had a personal talk with the person in charge? Is there some other option or back-up plan? Could you wear a leotard underneath the uniform (even one that matches your skin color)? While you are continuing to work on your weight loss.

I'm a dancer and when I was younger (due to severe trauma in my past) I had body image issues (like BDD), and waiting to find out what dance costume I was going to have to wear would sometimes cause me a lot of anxiety. I eventually decided to talk to the people that decided on costumes and it helped me a lot. I know this is a different issue, but I had extreme anxiety about it. I mention it because I realized that talking to the people in charge of costumes helped me, instead of dealing with it on my own.
  • JlSimon22
    JlSimon22 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Youll regret letting fear and doubt keep you from doing something you enjoy. Don't let your self confidence keep you from a great experience.

And ESPECIALLY if it makes you feel powerful! Cheering can open doors for you that you may not be able to imagine.

I completely agree with this. I know its easier said on a message board, then done in life, but take that powerful feeling and use it towards being an incredible cheerleader with great confidence. I am sure without even knowing you will inspire other people who didn't think they could do certain things because they don't fit a certain idea in high school. Ignore the haters, there will sadly always be jealous people trying to hurt people instead of being supportive of them. You can do this. You are beautiful the way you are and clearly talented, or you wouldn't have made the team. I know cheerleading outfits can be skimpy and intimidating, but don't let it stop you from what you deserve. GO YOU!
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel more confident, ask if you can wear a leotard or tank top or something like that under the uniform so that your stomach doesn't show. Don't quit!
  • bellaiabello
    Options
    Remember, other people probably pay you as much attention as you pay them. We always tend to think of ourselves as the protagonist (because from our point of view we are) but for others you are just a secondary character.

My point: Other people probably won't notice it, so, especially if you do lose some more weight, you'll be fine.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    they make mesh leotards that are skin tone- from about 15-20 feet away- it's not really noticable. It will help smooth you out and reduce extra 'jiggle'

will help keep the muffing top in check too.

Diet and exercise will obviously be important but if you are really uncomfortable with baring your midriff I would try those. Let me see if I can find the ones I'm talking about- some of them even have little crystals on them so they are flasher and don't look tacky.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/hipbazaar

also sugar petals

http://www.sugarpetals.com/leotards.asp
  • JuliRamone
    JuliRamone Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I think you should do it! :)
    Take it as motivation to really work the hardest and achieve your goals! :) You can do it!
  • Rooooose
    Rooooose Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Just do it! Cheerleading is not just for thin girls. They let you in because they like you, because you have talent, and because they believe you fit in!!! If this is what you want, work hard for it. I believe you can do it and get fit(ter) in time, you'll be an awesome cheerleader!
  • Niccidawn092
    Niccidawn092 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I remember in high school there was a girl that was on the bigger side that wore a leotard underneath that matched the uniform, but covered/held in her stomach. No one thought it was a big deal at all. Definitely continue to work on getting in shape, and do NOT give up the team! You will definitely regret it!
  • la8ydi
    la8ydi Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Just do it! Cheerleading is not just for thin girls. They let you in because they like you, because you have talent, and because they believe you fit in!!! If this is what you want, work hard for it. I believe you can do it and get fit(ter) in time, you'll be an awesome cheerleader!

This. You made the cut. You can do it. Agree with everyone saying to get a bodysuit until you feel comfortable. :-)
  • KimberlinaB
    KimberlinaB Posts: 4,017 Member
    Options
    As a cheer coach and former overweight cheerleader, you can not let something as trivial as a uniform hold you back if you made the team its because you deserve to be there! Try looking on cheer uniform sites (Varsity.com is a good resource) and you may be able to find a body suit that will totally match your uniform. Your best tool is CONFIDENCE! That's something only you can work at, practice your sport and if you're secure in your routine you will shine! :D Best of luck to you, but whatever you do, don't quit for that reason!
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Remember, other people probably pay you as much attention as you pay them. We always tend to think of ourselves as the protagonist (because from our point of view we are) but for others you are just a secondary character.

My point: Other people probably won't notice it, so, especially if you do lose some more weight, you'll be fine.

People notice cheerleaders, but this girl has plenty of time to lose weight if she wants. The fall is still months and months and months away.