treading water - 164 cal vs 411 cal?

Options
When you tread water, do you use "moderate" or "fast/vigorous" to log the exercise?

I've been using moderate because I mean, I'm not thrashing around, I'm just staying afloat :smile:

But this morning I tread(ed?) water for 40 minutes and if I put in Moderate it's 164 cals, if I put in Fast/Vigorous it's 411 cals!!!!

Doesn't that seem like too big of a difference?

And isn't treading water just kind of treading water......I mean......you stay afloat, keep your head above water.....I was busy watching my little one so I didn't notice till the end that I was POOPED..I'd love to score 411 cals but...really?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Treading water in a pool would be quite different than treading water in the ocean with rough surf. I'm assuming you were in a pool.
    I really thinking that 411 is way too high. Sorry.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Well, there is a big difference between simply treading water fast enough to keep your head out of the water, and treading water for synchro/waterpolo/lifeguarding. 164 is about right for simply treading water
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    there is no way you burnt 400 cals treading water... you said yourself its barely more than keeping yourself afloat!
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    It's the lower burn. Even doing laps at a moderate pace continuously in the pool, I'll only burn 600 or so calories for an hour as measured by a heart rate monitor. (Swimming fast laps, I can push it up to 850 an hour, but that's booking). Sorry to burst your balloon!
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Does it matter that much???? Personally, I would book the lower. If you are wrong, so what . If you book the higher and are wrong, then you are over by a dessert!
  • super_secret_spy
    Options
    Thanks all. Yeah, I'm sticking with the lower count. Now that I've been at this a few more days, I can see it's definitely not the higher number. That would be some kind of Baywatch situation!