Dumb question but...

Options
2»

Replies

• Grumbers
    Grumbers Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I think as suggested above, you need to be hitting your calorie target and personally when I eat makes a big difference.

I'm never hungry when I wake, so I always leave it a couple hours until I have breakfast. Usually about 0930. I then have lunch approx. 1230-1300. Afternoon bite about 1500-1600 then dinner around 1930. I then go to bed on average 2230.

That way I find I'm eating regularly enough to keep my metabolism going, I'm eating on average every 3-4 hours during waking time, and most importantly for the evenings sat on the sofa when I think it's easiest to crave foods, I don't have my evening meal too early. If I was awake 5 hours after my evening meal I'd certainly be hungry. Certainly don't eat just before bed, I'd suggest 3-3.5 hours approx.
  • playful1510
    playful1510 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Eating every 5 hours (or less) is normal....

Including plenty of protein and fat in your meal will keep you satisfied. Your meal was low in fat!
    I grew up thinking fat in = fat on (self)... It's kind of hard, even now to break that, even though logically I know that fat is simply a more compact storage medium for calories...
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

Including plenty of protein and fat in your meal will keep you satisfied. Your meal was low in fat!
    I grew up thinking fat in = fat on (self)... It's kind of hard, even now to break that, even though logically I know that fat is simply a more compact storage medium for calories...

Noooo!! :) fat is great for health, and keeps you satisfied.
  • amyfullbrook
    amyfullbrook Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    How can I keep from feeling hungry? For example, I ate a reasonable sized homemade salad for dinner this evening (appx 3 cups of salad mix, w/ light dressing), which included a drained can of tuna, and 5 hours later, I'm already hungry again. I just started dieting if that affects anything... Is this just a "suck it up, stop whining, and live with it" thing?

5 hours later?! OF COURSE you'd be hungry 5 hours after eating some leaves and a tin of tuna! It's time for another meal, so why wouldn't you be hungry? If it was an hour later then the question would be more valid, but that amount of time is normal for you to feel hungry again.
  • playful1510
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your helpful responses! I just got some peanut butter toast to get a little cal/fat bump... Hopefully will last me until bed!
  • playful1510
    Options
    5 hours later?! OF COURSE you'd be hungry 5 hours after eating some leaves and a tin of tuna! It's time for another meal, so why wouldn't you be hungry? If it was an hour later then the question would be more valid, but that amount of time is normal for you to feel hungry again.
    Sorry! I took so long to post that I didn't see that you had posted. Growing up, I ate when I was even slightly hungry, so I never really figured out that 5 (now 6) hours was too long between meals...
  • amyfullbrook
    amyfullbrook Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Sorry! I took so long to post that I didn't see that you had posted. Growing up, I ate when I was even slightly hungry, so I never really figured out that 5 (now 6) hours was too long between meals...

So did I so completely understand, I eat every 4/5 hours so breakfast, lunch and then dinner is usually 5/6 due to me being at work. But I'm always famished by the time dinner comes around. Obviously try not to snack (alot harder this time of year) but sometimes a 6 hour gap is a bit too much!!! x
  • staveshabr
    staveshabr Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    How can I keep from feeling hungry? For example, I ate a reasonable sized homemade salad for dinner this evening (appx 3 cups of salad mix, w/ light dressing), which included a drained can of tuna, and 5 hours later, I'm already hungry again. I just started dieting if that affects anything... Is this just a "suck it up, stop whining, and live with it" thing?

it took me two months to stop having the hunger pain and being able to last hours without eating, but after just a salad probably like and hour and a half two hours later ill be eating again
  • Whereismycoffee
    Whereismycoffee Posts: 130 Member
    Options

Hi and welcome to MFP .... keep reading and learning and logging and you will do fine. :)

It maybe a compact storage medium for calories, but fat is also has a very important nutritional use. There have been studies done (google ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15277161) that show you do need some healthy fats with your salad, or your body will not be able to absorb or utilize many of the nutrients that are in your typical veggie salads.
  • focuseddiva
    focuseddiva Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have some go-to food when the hunger pains don't go away:

• Sugar-free jello (you could eat a huge bowl; only 40 calories or so)
    • Scramble two egg whites, add some steamed mixed veggies (60 calories for a big bowl)
    • Cucumber slices dipped in salsa

I've eaten all three of the above to stave off the hunger. It takes the edge off.