When do you put your food in diary?

Options
I was wondering if you put your food in your diary first, or add the food as you eat it (or after you eat it)?

I usually put it in after I eat it but maybe I should start putting it in before, like in the morning, so that way it will be more planned out.

How/when do you add your food?

thanx!

Replies

• iamdesiderata
    iamdesiderata Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    i usually snack all day long, and never know exactly what ill be eating, especially dinner, because it all depends on whether i feel like cooking or not :P

so i enter my foods throughout the day
  • JustAmy
    JustAmy Posts: 291
    Options
    I enter my whole day's food the day before so I know what to pack to bring to work :happy: and have no worries after work as to how many calories I have left for dinner and what I'm cooking, that seems to makes my life easier and less stressful:flowerforyou:
  • VeryKerri
    VeryKerri Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I plan my food for the day out in the morning so I log all the way through my pm snack first thing in the morning. That way I know what kind of dinner I can have. I eat all home prepared food Monday through Friday so it's easier for me this way. It also keeps me from snacking too much if I know exactly how many calories I am at with my "planned" food.
  • sallyLunn
    sallyLunn Posts: 381
    Options
    I do both. I put food in - in the morning so I can plan my calorie intake. If I eat something outside of my plan, I add it.

I like putting it in early because it lets me know if I have wiggle room, it also inspires me to get my behind to the gym so I get the extra calories from exercise.

And, yes, I eat my exercise calories. My usual calorie burn at the gym is around 600 and my allotment for the day is 1200. I would go into starvation mode if I didn't eat them.
  • bloblynda
    bloblynda Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have the iphone app so I like to put my food in as or just after I'm eating it. It's very handy when you're eating out or at work
  • CinderellaMom
    Options
    For me, I prefer to enter my food as I am going to eat it- but I have friends who do it in the morning and at the end of the day too..... :)
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I enter my food in throughout the day the majority of time (99%) but the times that I did add before I ate it did make me stick to it. So, I could see how it can make you stick to your menu.
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    I do it while I'm eating - - this way i don't inhale my food lol
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Put my food for breakfast, lunch and snacks up till dinner in the morning before I go to work, and then my dinner and snacks after dinner
  • RunnerMama262
    Options
    Just before I eat, just to be sure I dont go over.... its nice having the phone app too!
  • sallyLunn
    sallyLunn Posts: 381
    Options
    I find it nice to enter things before I put something in my mouth. Seeing how many calories there are in some things has really helped me make better choices about what to eat.
  • krislew
    krislew Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I add my meals in the day before..that way I know how many calories I can afford on snacks, if needed. If I added them as I ate then I would eat all my calories for breakfast!!!!

ETA: if needed I obviously make changes throughout the day.

Also I add my breakfast first...since it's the same every day. Then I figure out my dinner....and that is how I figure out what I can eat for lunch...because lunch is my most flexible meal.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I usually enter it as I go along. I have an office job so it's easy for me to do it that way. I might plan my lunch and supper early in the day and enter it in the morning. But usually it's just before I'm about to eat or shortly after that I enter in my food.
  • tmcowan
    tmcowan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I add my food as I eat it. Since I do my the majority of my exercising at night I have no problems staying below calorie intake but don't eat all of my exercise calories because it's too late.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    i entered my breakfast and my lunch first thing in the morning so i know where i am for the day....i pack my lunch everyday and we have been planning dinners for 3 weeks so i "know" what i am having for food every day....if things change through out the day but for the most part i have my journal "done" before i eat my lunch...but i dont close it out until the end of the day just in case i add a snack or change a food....
  • Rugbychick16
    Rugbychick16 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I put all my planned meals in in the morning. Sometimes if I don't know what were having I leave it blank until later in the day, but I leave enough calories for a meal. I also try to leave a few extra calories incase I want an evening snack! :flowerforyou:
  • jaylu
    jaylu Posts: 158
    Options
    i do it in the morning or sometimes the night before, this way i can pre make and pre weigh my lunch and snacks for work. it takes the hassle out of the day and knowing what food i can look forward to. if i ate and then logged at the end of the day i think i would over eat and be shocked and disappointed and then it would be too late to do anything about it and id have to go to bed feeling bad!
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Unless I am out and away from the computer, I enter it as soon as I eat it..=o)
  • alyssashoop
    Options
    I put mine down in the morning.That way, it helps me know how many calories I have left for the day or how many carlories I need to burn with exercise when I get home from work. It also makes me stick to what I put down and not stray when I am feeling like I want to eat something else. To each their own though. :-)
  • k2charmed4u
    Options
    I have the iphone app so I like to put my food in as or just after I'm eating it. It's very handy when you're eating out or at work

Me too. I have the iphone app and update it everytime I have anything. Keeps on top of it, nothing is missed and makes life so much easier. :bigsmile: