Will my HRM be like my smart phone?

Options
I'm a technophobe. I did not want a cell phone. I did not want a smart phone. I eventually gave in and now, if I am too far from my phone for long, something bad happens.

Now, I do not want an HRM. I just bought a new IronMan for interval training, but resisted upgrading to and HRM with an interval timer included.

Now I'm wondering, will I give in eventually? Will my HRM become something that I CANNOT live without? (For now, my personal trainer has one that he straps on me every so often to check my range, but I don't feel the need to fool with it every work out.)

Has anyone out there tried one and not gotten hooked? Who else is living happily without one? Has anyone else resisted getting one, but ultimately become an enthusiast?

Replies

• TdaniT
    TdaniT Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I resisted getting a food scale and an HRM. Until recently. Have had a food scale for over a month and use it sporadically just to confirm what I already know. Just bought an HRM yesterday...Will see once it arrives.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I bought one a couple months ago. Really I wanted the Garmin GPS watch, and the HRM seemed like a good add-on while I was at it. I don't train at a level where I adjust my workout based on what my HRM says; more I look at the details after the fact. It's nice to have that data, but it's no smartphone for me anyway.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM for non-stepping cardio. I've had it for maybe 6-8 months. I played with it a lot right after I got it, like with any new tech toy, but It's not addictive in any way. It's another useful data source. Some people might check their pulse obsessively all day, or have a reason to use it more frequently, but it hasn't been that way for me.

The worst problem I've had with it was pausing my workout to adjust it when it lost my pulse.