How are we surviving the holidays??

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    What I was worried about was my husband's cookies. I ate probably 2000 calories a day of those last year, lol. So far I've managed to fit 3 in yesterday's calories, and I had 3 today for lunch... Not planning on having more today, but tonight we're going to a party so it's going to be fun... Will try not to eat until then (or just a quest bar) but that's going to be tough... I have 855ish calories left after lunch but it was an early lunch.. Usually there are healthy options but if there's kugel all bets are off.
  • LVCeltGirl
    Options
    Logging the food I eat, trying a bit of everything that I want (of course, I'm now a veggie fiend so I'll probably fill up on that), checking in with myself for feeling of comfortable (not exactly full so not overly full either), drinking my water so I don't confuse thirst with hunger and figuring out how to get some exercise in (I'm on the west coast and in the desert so no ice or snow storm here, a walk is always good). Also, planning a "beast" workout (at least 2 hours in the gym between cardio and weights) on Dec. 26th while my son is at Boys and Girls club (his request).
  • chopper_pilot
    chopper_pilot Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I didnt buy any crap!
  • kenyainez
    kenyainez Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    "Survive" the holidays by LIVING!

It's just one day. Live a little and enjoy your family and friends. I'm not saying pig out til your belly is about to explode but don't be so strict on yourself. Again, it's just one day. Breathe, relax, enjoy yourself and go back in the next day and going forward.

Merry CHRISTmas everyone! :0) \o/
  • Matt24442
    Options
    i will be working out and logging everything…

if you are that concerned about it…eat little or nothing for breakfast and lunch so you save all your calories for dinner and dessert..problem solved
    /end thread

jDxXf41.jpg
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    see the food....eat the food.....maybe log the food.....work it off after \m/

This is my plan... except you forgot about drink the booze... I am planning to drink a lot to get through the holidays.
    oh....thought the booze was implied, it's family after all.....\m/
    I'll be hanging out with ^^these cool kids.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Ok so this last week has been so hard! Everywhere I look there's cookies and chocolates! I have a major sweet tooth so it's hard to say no. Everything in moderation right? Well what do I do when I eat just a little bit, but do that everyday? That's not really getting me anywhere....

Tonight is going to be tough. Dinner at my Uncles complete with mashed potatoes and stuffing....and cookies, ooooh the cookies.
    Then tomorrow is lunch and dinner at my house, making sauce and chicken meatballs so It wont be too bad. SIL is bringing dessert (can't have christmas dinner without dessert right?)

Anyways what's everyones plan? How are we surving this holiday week?

Relax and enjoy your holidays. Christmas Eve and Day are 2 days out of the year. Just EAT DRINK, BE MERRY AND ENJOY! No one should be putting heavy restrictions on themselves for Christmas! Don't make your lifestyle change a 'dieting punishment'. Dec. 26th it's back to business as usual. As for your cookie in moderation question - as long as your logging them and it's fitting into your daily calories don't worry about it. I leave room for a small treat EVERYDAY. I just make sure it fits into my calories.

SANTA SAYS NO LOGGING FOOD ON CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options

This is my plan... except you forgot about drink the booze... I am planning to drink a lot to get through the holidays.
    I'll be bringing the booze.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

And wearing that thing I like?
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options

And wearing that thing I like?
    I was just going to wear a bow, but if that's what you'd prefer...
  • PolkaDot_Princess
    PolkaDot_Princess Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    TOPIC: How are we surviving the holidays??
    I am planning to drink a lot to get through the holidays.

It's not much of a holiday if we are just trying to 'survive' it.

Or 'get through' it, with booze.

Christmas really must suck.
    ^^^^^^^^
    OK first thing is first, you're an *kitten*!! Thanks for adding your two cents. I guess there's always one rotten apple in the bunch ;-)

Ok now that' that's out of the way.....

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR INPUT AND ADVICE!

My motto is always everything in moderation, however when that turns into days and weeks of "moderation" (really look at my diary i've been eating chocolate everyday!) then it becomes something more.

My aunt makes the best cookies so i can't stay away but i like what everyone said about how they get through these parties and events without having to roll themselves out of the house!

I had a light breakfast as well and did my workout this morning so i'm feeling pretty good about it I guess.

Anyways happy holidays everyone!!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

QFT!!!! Could not of said it better myself.... :drinker:
  • RealMarkD
    RealMarkD Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have a crazy sweet tooth, too, but have avoided them pretty well so far. The next two days will be a challenge at the parents house, but they keep a lot of fruit in the house, so I've been filling up on that, drinking plenty of water. I try to not deviate too much from my normal day, but it's tough.

I keep telling myself "everything in moderation" and "it's all about the big picture." We can splurge, as long as we don't fall in to bad habits. Enjoy the Holiday and just remember to balance things out over the course of the week/month!
  • Whyareyoumad
    Whyareyoumad Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Since I am the cook I get to decide what we serve. LOL, I plan to eat like I normally do and log stuff. Doesnt mean I cant have one of those awesome brownies my wife brought home from her office yesterday. Also going to the gym a little later today since I have not been able to go all weekend. We can eat and have fun cant we? Have a great day everyone.
  • JANETBPRICE
    Options
    Well, i was sleeved on Dec 10. just got on to solids on the 20th (chewed to death solids, but hey it's progress!!). i am actually having a hard time getting in even 30% of what i'm supposed to be ingesting. I DO NOT WANT TO EAT!!! i NEVER EVER EVER thought i would say those words. i started at 357 and today i'm 321 since my process began with the liquid diet the day after Thanksgiving.
    soooo my goal for the day will be to eat more...LOL i've had a bit of head hunger, but when the thought of eating whatever it is my brain thinks would be awesome actually gets to my stomach, she says "ehhhhh NO".
    I'll be eating my two ounces of turkey and 1 oz of sweet potatoes for dinner. :-)

Janet
  • pattycakes80
    pattycakes80 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    i have behaved decent with the parties throughout the season except this last week was a doozy! dinners out, work christmas parties, lunches. i tried my very best but i will admit i indulged more so than i have since starting MFP in may.

i recently quit drinking (blasphemy, i know, but had to) and i am trying to navigate through all the changes that sobriety brings at parties, holidays, celebrations. it might mean munching on snacks at functions, snacks that i previously ignored, but again, this is so new i am allotting myself a slight learning curve. i am being so careful not to replace alcohol with food, but i am waving a flag for the holiday season (and my very first sober holiday season).

i made a vow last week that i am not going to self-induce mania over calories until the day following christmas. that being said, i still follow my previous exercise routine and i am weighing myself once weekly, just as i always did, gain or not.

hell, i ended my thanksgiving feast with a cupcake in bed and still lost four pounds that week. this is life. live, enjoy and make the best memories possible. i am grateful that i will actually have memories this year, as i usually drank until i could not remember. it is the little things, folks. i am appreciative, i am a slimmer 70 pounds than i was last christmas and i am very humble.

happiest holidays!
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^^
    OK first thing is first, you're an *kitten*!! Thanks for adding your two cents. I guess there's always one rotten apple in the bunch ;-)

Wow.... Generally, I can't be offended. But, congratulations, you just managed to offend me. So, Since you called me an *kitten*... I guess that means I'm allowed to retaliate any way I see fit. Let's just say, that I offered a sincere opinion... and you replied by attacking me personally. I'd say, I have more !@#$%?! Xmas spirit than you do.

I am going to repeat what I said before. If Xmas is nothing more than a time to 'survive....' then why bother with it? Ergo, it sucks.

Merry Xmas to you, too.

bad-santa-300.jpg
  • FitNurseLex
    FitNurseLex Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I plan to eat, and workout. Period. I decided to adjust my calorie goal to just .5 lb loss per week until year-end so that I could freely enjoy the occasional chocolate or cookie that seems to constantly appear at every corner you turn during this time of year and still be eating at a small deficit. So far, I've been doing well with that. There have been no major binges or slip-ups. However, for today, tommorow and New Year's Eve, I'm going to eat (and drink-HANDS UP for egg nog and spiced rum!), whatever I want and feel no shame about it. I'm okay with just maintaining my weight until the end of year. I'm not planning on losing anything else until Jan 1.
  • chopper_pilot
    chopper_pilot Posts: 191 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^^

Ok now that' that's out of the way.....

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR INPUT AND ADVICE!

My motto is always everything in moderation, however when that turns into days and weeks of "moderation" (really look at my diary i've been eating chocolate everyday!) then it becomes something more.

My aunt makes the best cookies so i can't stay away but i like what everyone said about how they get through these parties and events without having to roll themselves out of the house!

I had a light breakfast as well and did my workout this morning so i'm feeling pretty good about it I guess.

Anyways happy holidays everyone!!

I cant quite understand someone who calls people names like a child while simultaneously wishing other people a happy holiday.

o wait religious holiday
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    One reason some of us may still need a plan to get through is when the indulgence isn't just two days but that whole ~2 week period surrounding the holidays. I've already stuffed myself silly :|