Lifting for the inside or outside health?

Options
SCV34
SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
I have seen a lot of topics about heavy lifting and weight training. My question is for those of you that are doing the lifting is it for the health on the inside such as your heart and other organs or is it simply done to look good on the outside? This is a question I have wanted to ask for sometime now, but was somewhat concerned about the back lash I would receive. I had huge biceps and arms back in high school because of my job and I personally didn't like the way they looked. I understand that muscles protect our bones and joints, but what specifically does lifting do for one's heart?

Replies

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I'm sure I'll get corrected if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that weight lifting is for the bones, muscles, tendons, etc etc, and cardio is how you exercise your heart. Both are important, but it doesn't take the hours upon hours of cardio most people think it does to keep your heart healthy.

Now as far as other organs go...I have no idea how to exercise my gallbladder.

ETA: Also, lifting isn't just to look good on the outside...that's just the byproduct. :)
  • SCV34
    Options
    Thank you for the response. It is most appreciated and I agree they are both important.
  • the_dude00
    the_dude00 Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I think they both go hand and hand together to some degree, as most peoples sense of pride and esteem improve as well when their body is changing for the better
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Lifting has a profound effect on quality of life in almost every population. The longer you do it the greater the benefits.

There are no drawbacks, other than those embarrassing biceps bulges.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Both or neither. I lift because I enjoy it and the challenge of reaching a goal. For now. Until something else catches my interest. But I think that applies to most people and their exercise. Doesn't it?
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Both.

The health benefits are great, especially protecting bone density.

I can't lie, I love seeing muscle definition on my body...to think I never used to like 'muscles' much, lmao!!

I honestly thought I'd hate lifting, I am amazed how much I enjoy it and have mfp to thank for introducing me to it. :flowerforyou:
  • SCV34
    Options
    Lifting has a profound effect on quality of life in almost every population. The longer you do it the greater the benefits.

Bulging biceps aka guns on a girl in high school was quit embarrassing. It is something I don't aspire to, but for those who do I get it.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I do it for both.

I don't want to be old and fall and break my hip because my bones are weak. Weight lifting helps with that along with a lot of other things.

As for the outside...

Yah I like when I raise my arms the definition in my shoulders and arms, I like the tight butt squats give me, I love the definition in my back from lifting, my biceps...all of it.

As well it's great for mental health. I can having a bad day, go bench 110 (I hope tomorrow) and come out of my room smiling and not remeber why I was upset.

As well self confidence, imagine hitting a wall and busting past it...I did that this week, stuck at OHP @ 80lbs for weeks now, if I got them all out form was off or I failed. Imagine busting through that, it's like RAWR I knew I could beat your *kitten* Yes...

I see no down side to lifting...oh wait the callous on my hands...that could be one but who looks at them anyway...*shrugs* too busy looking at my tight bum.

edited for horrible grammer.....
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    "There are numerous benefits to strength training regularly, particularly as you grow older. It can be very powerful in reducing the signs and symptoms of numerous diseases and chronic conditions, among them:

arthritis
    diabetes
    osteoporosis
    obesity
    back pain
    depression"

http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/growingstronger/why/

"Strength training also helps you:

Develop strong bones. By stressing your bones, strength training increases bone density and reduces the risk of osteoporosis.
    Control your weight. As you gain muscle, your body begins to burn calories more efficiently. The more toned your muscles, the easier it is to control your weight.
    Boost your stamina. As you get stronger, you won't fatigue as easily. Building muscle also contributes to better balance, which can help you maintain independence as you age.
    Manage chronic conditions. Strength training can reduce the signs and symptoms of many chronic conditions, including back pain, arthritis, obesity, heart disease and diabetes.
    Sharpen your focus. Some research suggests that regular strength training helps improve attention for older adults."

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/strength-training/HQ01710

http://www.dukehealth.org/health_library/health_articles/the-unquestionable-benefits-of-strength-training

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14552938

And there are more research/reading if you do an internet search for the benefits of strength training.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Bulging biceps aka guns on a girl in high school was quit embarrassing. It is something I don't aspire to, but for those who do I get it.

Do you have pictures of this? How was your body fat % and weight during this time?
  • Sonmi429
    Sonmi429 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think it's about what you said and more.

As it was stated above, lifting is good for your bones and joints, it also looks good up to a certain amount.

But also, at least in my case, it gives me a sense of ability or usefulness and opens opportunities to practise other sports, like parkour.
  • SCV34
    Options

Do you have pictures of this? How was your body fat % and weight during this time?

No pictures and I have no idea how much body fat % I had as it was 20 plus years ago. But I did weigh between 135 and 138 at 5'4. As a nurses aide my job required a lot of dead weight lifting of patients, so my arms just naturally got very muscular. Guys would always ask me what I was doing to get them that way.
  • SCV34
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's input and for answering my questions!
  • SCV34
    Options
    I do it for both.

I don't want to be old and fall and break my hip because my bones are weak. Weight lifting helps with that along with a lot of other things.

As for the outside...

Yah I like when I raise my arms the definition in my shoulders and arms, I like the tight butt squats give me, I love the definition in my back from lifting, my biceps...all of it.

As well it's great for mental health. I can having a bad day, go bench 110 (I hope tomorrow) and come out of my room smiling and not remeber why I was upset.

As well self confidence, imagine hitting a wall and busting past it...I did that this week, stuck at OHP @ 80lbs for weeks now, if I got them all out form was off or I failed. Imagine busting through that, it's like RAWR I knew I could beat your *kitten* Yes...

I see no down side to lifting...oh wait the callous on my hands...that could be one but who looks at them anyway...*shrugs* too busy looking at my tight bum.

edited for horrible grammer.....
    Thanks for the input! Great read!
  • pcastagner
    Options

No pictures and I have no idea how much body fat % I had as it was 20 plus years ago. But I did weigh between 135 and 138 at 5'4. As a nurses aide my job required a lot of dead weight lifting of patients, so my arms just naturally got very muscular. Guys would always ask me what I was doing to get them that way.

No, seriously, I was being sarcastic.

Vague stories aside about how 20 years ago you accidentally had bulging biceps, but don't remember a single other detail about your physique, nobody gets accidentally ripped.

There were tons of cameras in 1993. Let's see these bulging biceps. My bet is: either they never existed, or they were attached to so someone with rather high body fat who accidentally ate a lot while accidentally building muscle.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Vague stories aside about how 20 years ago you accidentally had bulging biceps, but don't remember a single other detail about your physique, nobody gets accidentally ripped.

There were tons of cameras in 1993. Let's see these bulging biceps. My bet is: either they never existed, or they were attached to so someone with rather high body fat who accidentally ate a lot while accidentally building muscle.

This!... No one accidentally gets "bulging biceps" from random lifting. :noway: :huh: :yawn:
  • Jamie22184
    Jamie22184 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I do it for both but also for a vain reason as well.....I work a physically demanding, male dominating job and it gives me a sense of pride that I can keep up with and in some cases beat the pants off of the guys at work.
  • pcastagner
    Options
    I do it for both but also for a vain reason as well.....I work a physically demanding, male dominating job and it gives me a sense of pride that I can keep up with and in some cases beat the pants off of the guys at work.

Mmmm... Male dominating... Always wanted to experiment with that. Not sure if it's my thing but they have cool outfits.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I lift for several reasons: to be stronger, to suppliment my running and to look good. So I do it for both. I like the looks I get when I can just pick up and toss that heavy case of bottled water into the car. And I like the fact that my lifting routine helps to support my running by making my core stronger. A strong core is a happy core when running, and that leads to proper form support during my half marathons or long training runs. And of course it is to look good. I want to be able to flex my arm and be like, "Bam! That just happened!"
  • SCV34
    Options

Your sarcasm was lost on me, but that's ok. It doesn't really matter to me if you believe the story or not. Have a nice life with all that lifting! For those of you who have been nice enough to answer my questions with knowledge and your own personal experiences I thank you.