barley recipes?

Options
acpgee
acpgee Posts: 7,656 Member
I'm trying to get more water soluble fibre in my diet to lower cholesterol. Eating oatmeal a couple of mornings during the week. Would like to make more use of barley. I substitute it for arborio rice in risottos and found this recipe online.

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Barley-Pilaf-Martha-Stewart?columns=4&position=4/61

I'll be trying this tonight with some adaptations. Mushroom stock, no pine nuts, and tossing in some left over salsa verde.

Any other ideas for barley side dishes? Recipes for other sources of water soluble fibre welcome too.

Replies

• BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    This has become one of my family's very favorite dinners. I put more zucchini and carrot in it than the recipe calls for.

Barley Beef Skillet
    Source: Slightly adapted from Taste of Home

Ingredients:
    1 pound 95% lean ground beef
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 can (14.5 oz) Beef Broth
    1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
    1 cup water
    2 small carrots, chopped
    1 small tomato, seeded and chopped
    1 small zucchini, chopped
    1 cup medium pearl barley
    2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon pepper

Directions:
    1. I put my carrots and zucchini in my food processor to finely chop them and I liked the results so I recommend doing that first. I did chop the tomatoes and onions by hand with my awesome new Paula Deen knives (thanks Santa!)
    2. Bring a large skillet to medium heat and cook ground beef and onion together, breaking up meat until it is browned. Drain if necessary (it was for me). Add minced garlic and cook for an additional minute. Add the broth, tomato sauce and water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, stir in the vegetables, barley and seasonings.
    3. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 45-50 minutes until barley is tender.

Yields 4 (1-½ c) servings. Weight Watchers Points Plus: 9 per serving
    Nutrition Info per serving calculated by myfitnesspal.com: 382 calories, 7 g fat, 49 g carbs, 32 g prot
  • foxygirlact
    foxygirlact Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    bumping for later
  • MiddieLou
    MiddieLou Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year!

One of my favorite barley recipes comes from
    the Skinny Taste Website.

Beef Barley Soup - Delicious!!!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/09/beef-barley-soup.html

This soup can be prepared in a crockpot/slowcooker.

***I'm looking forward to trying BalmyD's Beef Barley Skillet Recipe.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    draft_beer2.jpg

The absolute best thing made with Barley, without question.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Hey, here is a great recipe you can use with oatmeal and barley. makes about 5 gallons.

8.82 lb Pale Ale Malt
    1.10 lb Oats, quick Flaked (
    0.99 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt Dark
    0.66 lb Chocolate Malt
    0.55 lb Cara-Pils
    0.44 lb Roasted Malt
    1.23 oz Target Hops
    0.53 oz Pride of Ringwood Hops
    1 Pkgs Dry English Ale Yeast-Ale
  • lightinfl
    lightinfl Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    BalmyD- thank you, thank you, thank you for the wonderful Beef Barley Skillet dinner recipe!! It is absolutely fabulous and I can see it is going to be a regular on my menu. I made some for dinner tonight and couldn't ask for a yummier meal.
    I didn't have any tomato sauce or Italian seasoning on hand so what I did was add a can of diced tomatoes in Italian seasoning :) Worked out just fine and the flavor was sooooo good.

So, thanks again. Anyone who has not tried it yet is missing a really good meal.
  • gsgitu
    gsgitu Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year!

One of my favorite barley recipes comes from
    the Skinny Taste Website.

Beef Barley Soup - Delicious!!!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/09/beef-barley-soup.html

This soup can be prepared in a crockpot/slowcooker.

***I'm looking forward to trying BalmyD's Beef Barley Skillet Recipe.

i have made this recipe before, i give it a thumbs up,
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    BalmyD- thank you, thank you, thank you for the wonderful Beef Barley Skillet dinner recipe!! It is absolutely fabulous and I can see it is going to be a regular on my menu. I made some for dinner tonight and couldn't ask for a yummier meal.
    I didn't have any tomato sauce or Italian seasoning on hand so what I did was add a can of diced tomatoes in Italian seasoning :) Worked out just fine and the flavor was sooooo good.

So, thanks again. Anyone who has not tried it yet is missing a really good meal.

I'm glad you liked it! You can pump it up with more vegetables without sacrificing taste if you're into volume.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Crush it up, let it sit in warm water (150-154 degrees F) for about an hour, remove the barley. Add hops, boil for about an hour, keep adding hops (or not, as necessary) at different points in the boil. Maybe some irish moss. Cool quickly, add yeast, let ferment for 1-3 weeks. Bottle, let condition for 2-10 weeks. Drink the beer you just made.

Best thing to do with barley. Not going to help with your fiber intake though...
  • Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    gonna try the skillet as well :)