When you first started exercising?

Options
Did you hate it? Did it gradually become easier and even enjoy it? Or is it just something you make yourself do? I want to lose weight but I am also hoping exercising will make me feel better. I have no energy and just tired all the time. I wake up feeling horrible. Any suggestions?

Replies

• rockinmomto3
    rockinmomto3 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I don't enjoy working out...I never have. I make myself do it because in all honesty, when I'm done, I do feel better. I feel like I'm accomplishing something!
  • eastcoaster
    Options
    I love it now, but it does take awhile to feel that way.
    If you are that tired, and have no energy, you might want to go to the Dr. That happened to me a few years ago, and it turned out I had Type 1 Diabetes and didn't know. Not trying to scare you, but you might just want to get some tests done.
  • Michaela722
    Options
    It has taken a L.O.N.G. time for me to get to where I really enjoy working out. I started working out regularly after my son was born. Probably mid-April 2009. It took about 9 months before I felt like I craved the need to workout. And these days, if I don't work out 6 days a week, I get a bit stir crazy.

It'll come. But it might take you a long time to get there.
  • sibach
    sibach Posts: 24
    Options
    I usually like working out, especially classes...its getting the motivation to leave the house thats hard for me. Thats why I recently bought an elliptical for my living room so now I have no excuse to not at least do that. All in all I think working out does make you feel better, so force yourself thru it if you have to, in time once you establish a routine it does become easier! Good luck!
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    We bought an elliptical....the first time I used it I was on level 2 and I had to get off after 8 minutes.

Now I do level 6, 7, or 8 for 20 minutes depending on how I feel that day.

I NEVER feel like getting on the dang thing, but when I get off I feel a sense of accomplishment. Also, I truly believe that I burn more calories the rest of the day. My face feels warm for a long time and I feel like I really worked something off. Also, strengthening your heart is a wonderful thing.

Just do little things...a walk with a friend is better than nothing!
  • kwallen90
    kwallen90 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think I'm one of the rare breeds who actually love working out! I love the rush it gives me and the sense in knowing I'm doing something good for me. As a working mom with 3 kids and in grad school, I need an outlet and working out is my outlet.
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Yes, a class is a good suggestion. I am taking Zumba soon and I hope it is fun.
  • bkthomas2004
    bkthomas2004 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Exercising can become addicting but you have to get in the mind frame to do it. There are some days when I dread going to the gym. There used to be times when I would mess up eating then feel bad and not go to the gym. Then not go for a week and feel like crap cause I had to 'start all over'. But I no longer do this because weight loss and working out are all 'frames of mind' that we get it. Ive had personal trainers, friends who are gym rats to couch potatoes so at the end of the day its all about YOU and what you want for yourself. You just have to remember tht you may not see the numbers when you want as far as loss on the scale, but you will sleep so much better and if you dont feel like working out I can bet at the end of it you will have more energy than you did going in!

Ways I make it fun is choose a machine that works for me and my body on the days I do cardio, I LOVE the elliptical (treadmill makes me dizzy after I get off for some reason lol) so I will set my time to workout (ex. 45 min) and see how many miles i can do in that time frame, along with an EXCELLENT playlist, then I try to occupy my mind with as much positive energy and thoughts as possible. After working out for the day I have a beginners yoga dvd and I do the 10 min exercise to calm my mind and it really helps stretch your muscles after a crazy workout. lol, idk if this sounds like its doing too much, but it helps.
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    You haven't been logging your menu so it's hard to advise on this. Have you been eating enough of your exercise calories? If you don't eat enough that can make you tired the next day. Good luck!
  • fudJy23
    fudJy23 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Way back when I first started exercising, it sucked. I was always out of breath and I hated it but I made myself do it. Now it's not so bad and I even found something I really enjoy doing - mornings out on the local multi use trails on my bike.

As for feeling tired, about a month ago, just before I joined MFP, I had ramped up my exercising and after a week, I was feeling physically exhausted. I wasn't sure how I would make it through the second week because I was so tired. It wasn't anything different from what I had done. At about that time, I had also gotten my resting metabolic rate tested and had a VO2 max test done and found that my heart rate zones are about 10 BPM lower than what most calculators would give me. The woman was able to tell me that most likely, I spent way too much time in Zone 3 and 4, making it that much harder for my body to recover and so, yes, that would be why I felt so exhausted. Since then, I picked up a heart rate monitor and was more aware about where I worked and I haven't felt that physical exhaustion since.
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Yes, a class is a good suggestion. I am taking Zumba soon and I hope it is fun.

I'm taking zumba classes once or twice a week and I LIVE for them! They are such fun. The trick is doing something that you enjoy and fits into your life. If I could take a zumba class everyday, I would. We could never afford it and it's not even offered. I have a treadmill that I hate getting on, but I buy or borrow dvd's of a tv series that I've always wanted to watch. The only time I'm allowed to watch them is when i exercise so that motivates me to get on the treadmill! I try to incorporate other things that I love as much as I can- swimming, hiking, dancing, etc. Once you start exercising more, the weight will come off and you will start having the energy that you lack right now! Good luck to you. I think most of us are in that same boat!
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love doing cardio! I have a sickness. I don't know what it is, but I feel so good when I'm exercising and even better after I am done. That is part of my motivation. The other thing that motivates me is that if I exercise I get to eat more that day!

If I go workout for 5:30am then I have to pack my gym clothes the night before. Otherwise it's too easier to just reset the alarm and sleep in.
  • Teri716
    Teri716 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I started walking at first. It was the only thing I could do. As a life-long couch potato, I had to start slowly. 10 years later, do I like it? not really. Do I feel SO MUCH BETTER when I do - absolutely! The two things that totally keep me on track to workout 5 days a week is a workout buddy and my I-pod! Also find something to do that you really enjoy. I know for me i have to go to a class, I won't do it on my own every day.
  • lessjess1
    lessjess1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I don't love it (don't think I ever will). But I DO love how I feel when its over and what its done for my body.