Is this True

Options
I am going to begin some strenth training and toning, next year. Being that MFP has no real way of tracking calories burned in this area, can I just eat as if I am in maintenance and then use exercising to create a deficit.

Replies

• Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Well that depends on what your goals are. However, MFP has a "strength training" item under cardio activities. Or you could wear a heart rate monitor and enter calories burned manually.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    the plan you propose would still have the same issue, that being that you didn't know how many calories you were burning. but i suppose it would create a defecit, and you would lose slowly over time.

actually now that i think of it, its really not a bad plan, and if you patient you should see results, but if you go under cardio and look up strength training the estimate it gives you is a good ball park.

i wouldn't use the HRM as its not designed for lifting workouts and would probably give you an inflated burn.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Well that depends on what your goals are. However, MFP has a "strength training" item under cardio activities. Or you could wear a heart rate monitor and enter calories burned manually.

The 1st suggestion is what I do.

The 2nd suggestion does not work, please don't do this.
  • nmiller0813
    Options
    my goal is to add to what I am currently doing, to not only speed up my weight loss, but to change my body composition. To help firm up some of this loose skin that I have started to develop due to my weight loss. To get rid of this.. ugly cellulite that I have on my thighs.. that has gotten even worse with my losing weight. And, to just feel better overall about my body.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I am going to begin some strength training and toning next year. Can I eat as if I am in maintenance and then use exercising to create a deficit?
    The only real way to find out is to do it for a few weeks. If you don't begin to lose (after an initial adjustment phase), then the answer is no.

I've found that losing weight takes a whole lot of trial & error until you find what works for you.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    my goal is to add to what I am currently doing, to not only speed up my weight loss, but to change my body composition. To help firm up some of this loose skin that I have started to develop due to my weight loss. To get rid of this.. ugly cellulite that I have on my thighs.. that has gotten even worse with my losing weight. And, to just feel better overall about my body.
    The previous poster is correct. I now remember a few people ranting that their HRM's don't properly track lifting calories. I don't use an HRM. So yes, she's right, don't do it that way.

FWIW, when I started my lifting routine, I set my calories at maintenance for my lifestyle and have stuck with that. I don't eat back lifting calories. I've lost a few pounds, but the real results are in the way my clothes fit. I'm wearing the same size now that I was when I was 15 pounds lighter! Plus I'm really starting to like my shape.

Good luck to you!
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    I am going to begin some strenth training and toning, next year. Being that MFP has no real way of tracking calories burned in this area, can I just eat as if I am in maintenance and then use exercising to create a deficit.

What you can do, is cardio then tone, and then repeat while wearing the HRM..
    this will give you calories burned whiile doing cardio and calories burned while at rest.