How and where to get started?

Options
Hello all,

I'm a new member of this forum and I'm still figuring out how things work here.

I joined a month ago and then didn't get a chance to start my workout routine properly and hence didn't get a chance to stay active here. But I guess, I'm finally done with my excuses and it's really time for me to face the reality.

I'm a tall female (5'11'') and 31 years old. My weight is 239 lbs and I want to lose around 50 lbs. What makes my case of weight lose a bit difficult is that I've PCOS ... Are there any females with PCOS here?

I've started a gym routine recently (almost a month now but I've done it on and off so I don't call it a routine) ... Currently I'm focusing more on Cardio and Elliptical but I'm also doing weights. I start with weights for almost 15 - 20 minutes ... Currently I'm using 12.5 lbs weight and doing reps of 15 for 2,3 times.

I then do treadmill for 45 minutes with Incline: 3 and Avg Speed: 3.5 - 4 ... I usually cover around 2.70 - 2.80 miles during this time and I do sweat a lot and the treadmill shows that I burn 450 - 480 calories in the session ... After that I use elliptical for 20 minutes and cover around 3.80 - 3.90 miles ...

My problem somehow has been that I have started eating well for the past one month and I've been doing exercise on and off but still the scale is not moving a bit. My weight is exactly the same as I started ... This is what really pisses me off and I get distracted easily ...

Any suggestions regarding my work out or how to eat properly are welcome ... Please feel free to advice if I'm not able to see the scale moving because of my PCOS?

Replies

• jillr527
    jillr527 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Your workout sounds like it is on track. I've had success with a treadmill workout and 1500 calorie diet. I started at 245 in early August, and am at 198 now. I workout 5-6 times a week for about 65 minutes. Give it some time logging and see if you start to see the scale move. I found that before logging I was eating "healthy" but far more calories than I realized.
  • JuliRamone
    JuliRamone Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    First of all: Give it time!
    Weightloss takes time. Yeah, you'll read about people losing 2lbs a week or even more... but don't get discouraged.
    Three years ago I tried to lose some weight and although I sticked to my diet and workout, the scale didn't move for 2 months.

Try to take some photos, they are so much greater! Because on the scale you cannot know if it's water or fat or muscle or whatever.

Stick to your diet and workout - and lets see in 3-4 months from now :)
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    A few tips from someone with PCOS: measure your food with a scale. Everyone on here will tell you how important that is--and IT IS!!!!! You might think you can measure a "cup" of something, but weigh it. I guarantee a cup doesn't match the weight listed on the item. Second--working out won't be the source of losing weight. Your diet with a calorie deficit will lose you weight. Working out will just aid in your efforts. Log everything you eat. Hold yourself accountable. Dont give up. It can take your body a while to realize what you are doing. Stick with it.
  • BudhiRooh
    BudhiRooh Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Your workout sounds like it is on track. I've had success with a treadmill workout and 1500 calorie diet. I started at 245 in early August, and am at 198 now. I workout 5-6 times a week for about 65 minutes. Give it some time logging and see if you start to see the scale move. I found that before logging I was eating "healthy" but far more calories than I realized.

According to MFP my daily calorie intake should be 2030 and I find it really hard to eat that much. I'm trying to avoid carbs {although m such a bread lover :(} and fats but managing my food would be a little tough. I don't even know if I should really consume 2030 calories a day?
    I'm aiming for 90 minutes Cardio daily with Weight training (20 minutes) 5-6 days a week. I've started logging my food intake and exercise routine here at MFP and hopefully it'll work for me ... I'll see how it works in the next couple of weeks ...
  • BudhiRooh
    Options
    First of all: Give it time!
    Weightloss takes time. Yeah, you'll read about people losing 2lbs a week or even more... but don't get discouraged.
    Three years ago I tried to lose some weight and although I sticked to my diet and workout, the scale didn't move for 2 months.

Try to take some photos, they are so much greater! Because on the scale you cannot know if it's water or fat or muscle or whatever.

Stick to your diet and workout - and lets see in 3-4 months from now :)

Thanks for letting me know that it took you 2 months to see the scale moving. I'm hoping the scale will start moving in a couple of weeks ... I'll be taking pictures for motivation as well :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    i would recommend familiarizing yourself with compound lifts…squat, deadliest, overhead press, rows, chin up/pull up, bench press….starting strength and/or new rules of lifting for woman are good books to familiarize yourself with, and make sure that you learn proper form for all the exercises.

Once you have these moves down build a total body program around them where you hit arms/legs/back/shoulders/chest three times a week and do cardio two to three times a week..

I would keep your cardio and weight sessions separate…
  • BudhiRooh
    Options
    A few tips from someone with PCOS: measure your food with a scale. Everyone on here will tell you how important that is--and IT IS!!!!! You might think you can measure a "cup" of something, but weigh it. I guarantee a cup doesn't match the weight listed on the item. Second--working out won't be the source of losing weight. Your diet with a calorie deficit will lose you weight. Working out will just aid in your efforts. Log everything you eat. Hold yourself accountable. Dont give up. It can take your body a while to realize what you are doing. Stick with it.

I would really need advice from you as you've the same condition. What I've looked over internet it says I should cut carbs n fats from my diet but I've to consume 2030 calories daily as per MFP ... Can you guide me how can I do it but avoiding carbs n fats?