Cold. All the time.

Options
I've almost always had problems with being cold. It got a bit less obtrusive when I was up in weight, but now that I'm down (the overall difference from max to now is probably between 10 and 15 pounds; I'm just under 5'2") and trying to run a deficit I find myself cold the majority of the time unless I'm wearing 2+ layers. My hands, feet, and nose are the absolute worst. Disclaimer: I go to school in Boston and my hometown is Pittsburgh.
I find myself feeling less cold when I eat more (at maintenance rather than a deficit), and I wonder if part of the reason for the chronic coldness is a (subclinical) degree of hypoglycemia.

So my questions are thus:
1. What do other people do on an acute basis to deal with being cold?
2. Have others found ways to improve their overall thermogenesis over time?

Replies

• janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Not that it matters but even though I'm in CA I'm also freezing all the time. The only way I found to combat it is cardio, then I warm up for a while, or walking. I'm either super cold or super hot in the summer. It's just the way my body seems to work.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Has your doctor given you a blood test to check for low thyroid?
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    about 70 pounds ago I was just right.. My hands have always gotten really cold and my feet have always gotten really hot (I would wear flip flops even in the snow) but other than that I was the perfect temperature. These days I'm looking at 3 or 4 layers and it doesn't even get that cold in my area of Canada. It's rarely below freezing but I have to wear a sweater, a big ol' puffy vest and 2 ski jackets to feel warm enough.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options

^^^^^ this!!
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Me too!! And I live in the South!! I have had that problem all my life, I think it's because I don't eat red meat!! Not enough iron.
  • LeahFerri
    LeahFerri Posts: 186 Member
    Options

No, but I don't have any other signs or symptoms of hypothyroidism.

ETA: Without other signs or symptoms, I wouldn't want to medicate even if I was hypothyroid. My mother was at one point on Synthroid and had a goofy side effect profile.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    How is your iron intake? It is not uncommon for women in general to be iron deficient because they don't eat as much red meat, dark meat poultry, etc as men...and they eat even less when they're dieting so often go anemic which will make you cold all of the time.

Look on the app to see what your iron intake is like and has been...get to the doctor and get some blood work to test for deficiency of that as well as any other potential medical issues or deficiencies.
  • LeahFerri
    LeahFerri Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    How is your iron intake? It is not uncommon for women in general to be iron deficient because they don't eat as much red meat, dark meat poultry, etc as men...and they eat even less when they're dieting so often go anemic which will make you cold all of the time.

Look on the app to see what your iron intake is like and has been...get to the doctor and get some blood work to test for deficiency of that as well as any other potential medical issues or deficiencies.

This is fair; my iron intake is probably garbage. Supplementation would probably be my route, unfortunately... I'm not big on red meat or dark greens.
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I GET THE SAME THING!! I'm cutting right now, and am just freezing my @** off all the time. This is the first time in my life I'm experiencing this--grew up in Michigan, am usually fine with the cold--I'm the one who doesn't need a coat and is always turning down the thermostat.

I figure it's the combination of less insulation (fat), plus the calorie deficit making it tough for the body to generate heat.

Have been reacting the same way--always wearing 2 layers inside, and 4 layers outside. My wife and now daughters tease me for being such a wimp on a regular basis. I have learned my lesson, and will never, never, never plan a cut cycle during the winter again.

Summer is coming!

ETA: just checked, and iron intake is fine. I'm just freakin' cold!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Same here. I've had my thyroid tested within the past six months and it's fine. Unless I just came back from the gym or eaten a really big meal, I'm cold. My feet are cold right now and I'm fully clothed.

I have clinical depression. Of course, this means all bodily processes are slowed, so I wonder if that has anything to do with my case. It's not for lack of insulation-- I have at least 20 lbs. to lose!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Do you eat enough carbs?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Good thread too. Yesterday husband came home and told me it was 80 degrees outside. I was bundled up with layers and sheepskin slippers a heavy blanket and still shivering, on day 5 of a "draining" TOM spell. I felt anemia might be the culprit and ate lots of chicken. also took iron pills. today I'm in a tank top and giving my husband bare midriff for xmas. try eating more of what you think you need and see if it helps.