Loving Home Made Soups

Options

Replies

• gsnavley
    gsnavley Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just had Pasta E Fagoli for the 1st time a couple days ago... OMG!!! My buddy made it from a recipe and added kidney beans instead of garbanzo and WOW it was so good. I told him that he needs to give me his recipe.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Our favorite soup is Spicy Italian Tortellini made with spicy Italian turkey sausage, tortellini, low sodium chicken broth, onion, garlic, crushed red pepper flakes, fresh spinach and fresh basil, and, it is low calorie.
  • bf43005
    bf43005 Posts: 287
    Options
    My husband and I love this one soup which of course at 7am I can't think of the name LOL! But one day we will cook a beef brisket in the slow cooker (and that's dinner), the left overs get made into a soup and it's fantastic. I'm a fan of canning so a lot of times I will make a very large amount of soup and then can it. If you aren't into that you could always freeze it too. This makes for a quick lunch/dinner if you forgot to take something out or are running late. The thing I love best about making my own soup is the sodium. The sodium is so high in canned soups, when you make your own you can really cut that down.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Bump, I love soup!!
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Our favorite soup is Spicy Italian Tortellini made with spicy Italian turkey sausage, tortellini, low sodium chicken broth, onion, garlic, crushed red pepper flakes, fresh spinach and fresh basil, and, it is low calorie.
    I am so making this next week!
  • Lovey50
    Lovey50 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
  • Lovey50
    Lovey50 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Tonight's soup is:
    Left Over Lentils
    Spinach
    Green Onions
    Cilantro
    Garlic
    Lemon
    and Cayenne (because everything is better spicy)

Other favorite add ins:
    Broccoli
    Brown Rice
    Turkey Breast
    Chicken Breast
    Squash (In cubes)
    Sweet Mini Bell Peppers
    Sweet Potatos
    Peas

I have yet to try a combination that isn't delicious... Can't wait to try some of these ideas you guys! Yay!

If you like Indian flavors, you can add turmeric and cumin to your lentils. I also love spinach with them; also have added okra, kale, peas, whatever I have. LOVE lentils!
  • TheDarkestStar87
    TheDarkestStar87 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I had carrot and sweet potato soup today, flavoured with some chilli and garlic and I made some coriander and cashew nut pesto to drizzle over it. Love soup at this time of the year, nothing's better when you come in from the freezing cold outside.
  • Sewilban
    Sewilban Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Creamy tomato bisque with goat cheese is an all-time favorite! Super low-calorie but still really filling.

Copy/past for recipe: http://healthyrecipeexchange.tumblr.com/post/69691270869/creamy-tomato-bisque-with-goat-cheese
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    My favorites:

Split Pea with Ham
    Navy Bean with Ham
    Chili
    Red Beans with Andouille Sausage
    Beef Stew
    Turkey with Wild Rice
    Lentil with Smoked Sausage

Soup is awesome!
  • ag27404
    ag27404 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Creamy tomato bisque with goat cheese is an all-time favorite! Super low-calorie but still really filling.

Copy/past for recipe: http://healthyrecipeexchange.tumblr.com/post/69691270869/creamy-tomato-bisque-with-goat-cheese

This looks awesome. Thanks for posting the link!
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Yay soups! I made my yummy pumpkin soup today.

Canned pumpkin
    Container of vegetable stock
    One onion
    3 bay leaves
    Sprinkle or two of cinnamon
    Tablespoon of dried parsley
    Salt/Pepper
    2-3 cloves of garlic
    I also added some frozen roasted butternut squash I had previously roasted
    1/4 cup of half and half (I sometimes use almond milk)

Cook all ingredients except the half and half until the onions are soft. Remove the bay leaves. Puree. Add back to pan and add back the bay leaves. Simmer a little longer, remove from heat and add half and half.
  • SuperWhoLock24601
    SuperWhoLock24601 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    My husband absolutely loves soups. I am always searching pinterest for recipes for them. We had homemade Broccoli Cheddar tonight and homemade Cream of Mushroom a few days ago.
  • chriamaria
    chriamaria Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Its all in the broth! The best soup is made by roasting the meat in a roasting pan rather than boiling it in a pot. I'll use salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and cayenne pepper. Its incredible. Well that is for chicken. Haven't tried anything else yet. I put lotsa veggies though- anything I can think of. I also like to do bean or lentil soup in the crock pot. Salt, pepper, cumin, garlic, onion and turkey bacon to flavor it. I usually add carrots and tomatoes to the lentils. It never turns out bad.
  • flagator11
    flagator11 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I love adding elbow macaroni and ground turkey to tomato soup. Yum!
  • SkaterGirl704
    SkaterGirl704 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Here is my recipie and everybody loves it. I only use organic ingredients.

Turkey Veggie Soup

2 large turkey breasts cut up. Save the bone to throw in then discard
    3 carrots
    2 celery
    2 handfuls of fresh spinach
    1 tomato
    1 large onion
    3 garlic cloves
    1 container of liquid chicken broth
    2 bay leaves
    1 tsp rosemary
    1 tsp basil
    1 tsp
    salt and pepper to taste

Bring chickn broth to a boil
    Throw in turkey meat with bones. Let cook
    Skim fat from top
    Add veggies and spices chopped up
    let cook until meat and veggies are done

This soup is so tasty and very easy to make.
  • bhsishtla
    bhsishtla Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jackson7478
    jackson7478 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    bumo
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Just made this yesterday! A small head of cabbage chopped, carrots, onions sauteed, San Marzano whole tomatoes that I squish, and organic chicken broth. Throw it all together after sauteeing the veggies, till everything is softened. Add a little salt, a can of Cannelini beans, Franks' hot sauce and voila!
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    We love soup here! Especially with our long, cold Winters. My most recent was a smoked sausage and vegie soup. I love cheese soups, but too fattening!