lost all christmas spirit

Options
well im feeling down on Christmas. I ate up all my calories through the day and well im upstairs while everyone is enjoying themselves at the table. could really use a friend, because I lost all my Christmas spirit. im trying to repress the cravings cause they have duck downstairs, caviar, rice....I could really go for a piece of duck but no calories.

anyone feel free to add me, im dieing here. I really want something but im upstairs, drinking water all night.

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    why cant you go down and join them?
  • JBcat123
    JBcat123 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I would but then I know ill pig out on something. I don't want to ruin my week. I want to smile this Saturday and hope that I lost that extra pound. I just went downstairs and everyone wanted me to sit with them and all I said was " no I just want water, no food for me right now...". and then I left.
  • why cant you go down and join them?

Agree. Go downstairs and enjoy your family. MFP will still be here tomorrow.
  • JBcat123
    Options
    ok I guess ill go, im going to bring my bottle of water and take sips.
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    I would but then I know ill pig out on something. I don't want to ruin my week. I want to smile this Saturday and hope that I lost that extra pound. I just went downstairs and everyone wanted me to sit with them and all I said was " no I just want water, no food for me right now...". and then I left.

bless youre heart do you really want to feel this miserable every christmas? Go down smile, hug your family, (there are many of us who dont have the opportunity to be with our loved ones), eat a small piece of duck, have a few spoonfuls of caviar, and laugh. A pound on Saturday shouldnt be the driving force that makes you smile it should be "wow, I had a great Christmas I ate some beautiful special food, I got to share this day with my family, and I didnt eat crazy I ate within reason. You have all year to log and track you wont remember any of that, but you will remember the Christmas you spent up in your room moping because of a self imposed diet.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    It's one day. No one got fat in one day or even a week. You still have all week to balance everything out.

http://body-improvements.com/2013/05/24/undiet-your-diet/

ETA: The fact that you're hiding from family because your scared of possibly going way over on cals isn't healthy. Healthy isn't just a physical thing, it is a mental thing too. Please, go spend time with your loved ones and don't let fear of food or calories rule you like this.
  • EvelynWeatherby
    Options
    I feel you on this. It's very hard to control myself when it comes to sitting at a table full of food...especially when your family doesn't understand what you are trying to achieve as well as they don't understand "No, thanks." Chew gum. Drink lots of water...

If I know I am going to have a family meal, I try to eat less during the day so I can enjoy it with them..but I usually just end up feeling guilty because I know how many calories were in that such and such. It's a hard mindset to break. I've been doing this for ten years now, too. Not MFP, but the whole watching what I eat.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    well im feeling down on Christmas. I ate up all my calories through the day and well im upstairs while everyone is enjoying themselves at the table. could really use a friend, because I lost all my Christmas spirit. im trying to repress the cravings cause they have duck downstairs, caviar, rice....I could really go for a piece of duck but no calories.

anyone feel free to add me, im dieing here. I really want something but im upstairs, drinking water all night.

No no no! You so not want to relate dieting with missing time with family and friends. You will only and up resenting dieting and will end up quitting and then you are back at square one. Forget today. Tomorrow you will get back on track. Have some duck for quacks sake. I give you permission to not log it or anything else tonight. Hers what you do, eat with your family and wait an extra week before weighing do your body has time to readjust to your normal squedule. I promise you it will be alright. Please please please dont moss out on family time because you worry about your diet. Promise nw you will get down there.

Edited for typo.
  • ldrosophila
    Options

good go down there smile, laugh, and taste and slowly savor that beautiful special holiday food
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Youve been here almost a year and haven't learned that going over won't kill you?

Youd rather be miserable, alone upstairs and lose a pound than downstairs with friends and family? Seriously?!
  • Wenchiness
    Wenchiness Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm proud of you for sticking it out..... but you still need to live life. Go down, enjoy the company and spirit. Pretend the goodies are poison. You're changing habits for a better life I hope, not to hide out from your current one.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options

Missed this post. I just really wanted you to enjoy the day and hit reply as soon as I saw your pain.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I'm proud of you for sticking it out..... but you still need to live life. Go down, enjoy the company and spirit. Pretend the goodies are poison. You're changing habits for a better life I hope, not to hide out from your current one.

How is pretending food is poison(ed) a good habit?
  • JBcat123
    Options
    thanks everyone. I just went up to see the comments, and I went down, half the food was gone so im gonna go back to taking sips of water downstairs!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

How is pretending food is poison(ed) a good habit?

Thats not any healthier than hiding alone upstairs.
    Such bad advice
  • EvelynWeatherby
    Options
    LishieFruit89,

Having a healthy idea of food is extremely difficult when it is something you have struggled with consistently. Going over in calories isn't an idea that is easily understood as okay when you are struggling. It's easy for some, but not for all.
  • euonymust
    Options
    The more you resist, the more it'll persist. I say you should go downstairs, enjoy the company of your loved ones, and eat if you want to, without going overboard…..however, I'm an all or nothing type of gal too, so I can see where you're coming from with trying to resist it all if possible.
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    LishieFruit89,

Having a healthy idea of food is extremely difficult when it is something you have struggled with consistently. Going over in calories isn't an idea that is easily understood as okay when you are struggling. It's easy for some, but not for all.

is it not possible to allow one day where you dont have to control everything? Would this be a good day to focus more on a spiritual or meditative balance instead of food? I think most of us arent concerned with the idea of healthy food but a healthy mind. I'll be frank it sounds borderline as if one is almost suffering from an ED to self isolate or have to feel guilty for putting food in the mouth that is usually only saved for special occasions. We all know intuitively that a day of allowing yourself an indulgence is not going to put a lot of weight on the body. Most of that is lost when you start back on a healthful eating plan and moderate exercise.

I didnt get to 365lbs because I ate a little extra on Christmas. I got to 365lbs because I was not conscious and didnt practice mindful, moderate, sensible eating.
  • SheFitWalks
    SheFitWalks Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yay! Good for you! I hope you have a wonderful time with everyone!!
  • RaceMTB
    Options

There you go. Focus on something positive, get lost in conversation.. and hey, it is Christmas after all! You'll be back at it again to worry about one holiday. Spend time with your loved ones. MFP will be here for you after. :)

Merry Christmas.