Need Support During the Food Season, please

Options
Hello Community,

I'm rather new here, so I'm a bit uncomfortable posting, but I thought I would give it a chance.

As we all know the holiday season is upon us and that it also means there are Christmas parties, family get togethers, quick dinners...lots and lots of food and unhealthy choices.

I've been struggling with trying to find a good balance during the holiday of treating myself and watching. Since I haven't been able to, I usually just "watch" meaning counting calories and working out. Tomorrow is Christmas. I'm pathetic. I'm scared of all of the food we will have and my lack of self control getting in the way of my progress.

I'm in need of advice. I'm in need of kind words. If anyone would like to offer some up to me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

Replies

• seliinac
    seliinac Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about tomorrow too much. Try to do your best but don't beat yourself up if you slip up.

Many people eat at maintenance calories on Christmas day, or even for the a week or two around Christmas.

Just remember it takes overeating by 3500 calories to gain one pound.
  • AnnaZimm70
    AnnaZimm70 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    The holidays are really hard for me as well. I'm just hoping not to gain (much)! I don't have any great words of wisdom, but can say that you are not alone. Try to keep logging -- it will help keep you accountable. If you go over, you go over (I have many, many times, by A LOT the last couple of weeks). Tomorrow is another day and soon the Food Season will be behind us! Hang in there.
  • EvelynWeatherby
    Options
    I appreciate the advice! It's just..so hard to wrap my head around it being "okay." I am going to workout at least. That definitely makes me feel a little better about eating more than the norm. Thank you!
  • nedtoloseme
    nedtoloseme Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    As long as you are aware you'll be fine. Like someone else said make sure you log your calories. I already know I will go off tomorrow so I tried exercising more over the last few days and probably will Thursday. It's only one day or even a few days. I will say don't let it go over a week. Get back on track soon. Have fun & Merry Christmas!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    change the focus...first no guilt! It's just food it doesnt equal more than nourishment. Next this is a special holiday we only eat most of this food one day of the year our ancestors practiced this Holiday to celebrate that life still continued despite the cold, long, hard winters. They brought out the best meat, the best vegetables and they celebrated their good fortunes. Let's celebrate, celebrate your family, celebrate your health, celebrate that you are getting healthier mind, body and spirit.

Oh and savor every bite, slowly, and indulgently. Enjoy and be happy!
  • EvelynWeatherby
    Options
    As long as you are aware you'll be fine. Like someone else said make sure you log your calories. I already know I will go off tomorrow so I tried exercising more over the last few days and probably will Thursday. It's only one day or even a few days. I will say don't let it go over a week. Get back on track soon. Have fun & Merry Christmas!

If only it were a few days! We tend to make it a week long feast. It's nerve racking at best. Thank you for the advice!
  • EvelynWeatherby
    Options
    change the focus...first no guilt! It's just food it doesnt equal more than nourishment. Next this is a special holiday we only eat most of this food one day of the year our ancestors practiced this Holiday to celebrate that life still continued despite the cold, long, hard winters. They brought out the best meat, the best vegetables and they celebrated their good fortunes. Let's celebrate, celebrate your family, celebrate your health, celebrate that you are getting healthier mind, body and spirit.

Oh and savor every bite, slowly, and indulgently. Enjoy and be happy!

I'm trying! Thank you.