Camping recipes

hawkgurl
hawkgurl Posts: 10
edited September 21 in Recipes
My family is going camping. In the past it's been non-stop (unhealthy) snacking. Since I'm 2 weeks into MFP and am staying on track, I'm going to make this the start of healthier camping. Anyone have any good camping recipes or ideas?

Replies

• kk_stephens
    kk_stephens Posts: 129 Member
    I would love to know this too -- as we are going camping this weekend.

I plan on taking homemade chicken salad, eggs, dried apples, celery sticks, lots of water, all beef dogs, and chicken sausage, cereal, milk......

what else would be good? Apples, ...?
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    pack lots of healthy foods (already ready to eat) i.e. cut up celery sticks packed in water in ziplock bags (best to pack them in usable amounts - for example if you have 3 family members - pack only what 3 people would eat at one time in a baggy); apples already cut up and placed in water with lemon juice (keeps them from turning brown), grapes (washed and individually packaged). Also, JUST DON"T BUY THE CHIPS, DIPS, Etc. Pack lots of bottled water - and instead of pop use things like drink mixes that are low in calories - my favorite is Crystal light Green tea raspberry - it doesn't taste like diet. Take lean meats (hamburger, steaks). Chicken is always good, but make sure it is frozen and use before it thaws. Hot dogs are terrible - they are easy, but so full of unneeded calories, sodium, etc. - TERRIBLE. Most importantly, try to get your family moving. Often my family camping trips are just being lazy, sitting around the fire, eating, and eating, and eating. Try to plan activities like hiking, exploring the area, biking, etc. My grandchildren like to do things like "trying to catch frogs". These are fun things that kids can do as well as adults.
  • Breakfast: Egg beaters topped with small amount of avacado and salsa. If you have kiddies, egg beaters on a thomas bagel thin with lowfat cheese..........mmmm.

Lunch: Ball park or Oscar mayer fat free hot dogs (40 cals) make them into chili dogs with canned hormel chili, Turkey wraps with lowfat vegetable cream cheese on a whole wheat or lowcal tortilla and roll it up (add lettuce, tomato or any other vegetable) You can do ham or turkey slice spread with cream cheese and add a whole dill pickle and roll it up..............heaven~

Dinner: Grilled wraps - these are fun for the whole family and very delicious - Tortillas, Cooked ground chicken or turkey with taco seasoning, lowfat shredded cheese, lowfat sour cream, refried vegetarian beans (optional), fold as you would a soft taco and place on your grill until everything is melted and you have grill marks. OR meat and vege shish kabobs marinated in any lowfat dressing.

Snacks: Salsa mixed with cottage cheese and baked scoops or raw veges..................sounds gross, but awesome!
    My sister takes and cooks the jumbo shell macaroni and stuffs them with either homemade egg salad or tuna fish salad....................they are delicious and the shells make for a nice finger food.

Hope this helps:) We camp alot and do all of the above......................mmmmm, I am now hungry and want to go camping!
  • We LOVE to camp. Plan your meals ahead of time (breakfast, lunch, dinner). You can stay on track! I love planning Kabobs... you can do srimp, chicken, beef, bell peppers, onions, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms.... it's good, easy to grill, and healthy!!! Have fun!
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Try bringing fresh fruit (apples and grapes since they are easy to pack and eat). Have a salad with meals as your main part of dinner and enjoy small portions or bites of whatever the group makes. My husband loves tri tip and I know I can have a thin slice and enjoy it with out worrying as long as I've watched what I eat every day.

When we went camping last month, I made a whole wheat pasta salad that came with us. It was whole wheat penne rigate, tomatoes, basil, garlic, and olives (kalamata). I also used Fat Free italian dressing (less then 1/4 cup on the whole batch). if you wanted you could add some string cheese to it cut into chunks. It was tasty and clean in flavors and held up for our 4 day trip in our ice chest.

we packed special K for breakfasts everyday and I pre measured and bagged the portions. we had triscuts to snack on and you can get sargento reduced fat string cheese (only 50 calories for the whole thing)

That's what I did but i'm looking forward to some good recipes for future use. Good luck!
  • hawkgurl
    hawkgurl Posts: 10
    Thanks everyone! Sounds like measuring out and pre-packing my HEALTHY food is what I hope helps. Thanks for all the ideas!
  • annecolorgreen
    annecolorgreen Posts: 116 Member
    If your family does smores, you could do a modified treat for you if you want. take a whole wheat tortilla and top with any of the following ingredients that you allow: reduced fat or natural peanut butter, mini chocolate chips, banana pieces, mini marshmallows and fold like a tortilla and then wrap in aluminum foil. Place in coals like you would a foil meal to heat. VERY tasty. Foil meals, in general, are a great way to cook some healthy stuff. Awesome for chicken and veggies.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,033 Member
    YUM thanks for all the ideas sounds great,
    When we go camping I cut up watermelon into chunks and put it in a container in the ice chest. This is so good, cold and refreshing when it is hot. Also we make banana boats. cut banana down the center place in aluminum foil put mini chocolate chips a spoon of peanut butter and mini marshmellow if you like then wrap it in the foil and place it in the coals for just a few minutes, it gets all melty and cooks the banana , so so yummy. You could also take rice cakes, and granola bars to munch on, popcorn also if you have a way to cook it. you can cook air popped popcorn on the camping stove.
This discussion has been closed.