Not sweating, am i still burning good amount of calories?

Options
Today I worked out in an air conditioned gym in Japan, I did 35Minutes of hard weight training, 20minutes on the treadmill going like 7-8mph at a resistance level of 10 or higher, 12 minutes of running at around 7mph and 6 minutes of hard biking as well as sit ups(8-10 minutes) , during this entire workout i sweat a little bit(perspiration on the face and a little bit on the back) but i was not drenched in sweat as I often am after a good workout. Do you think this means I burned less calories? or is it still possible that I burned a lot of calories? upwards of 400 I mean

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Sweating is poorly correlated to calorie burn.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Sweating is poorly correlated to calorie burn.

/thread
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Sweating is the result of your body being too hot, it's how your body cools itself down. If it's a very hot day and you're sweating while sitting at your desk because it's so hot, you're not burning any extra calories compared to you sitting at your desk at normal office temperature. When you exercise, you burn more calories to give your body the energy to do all the extra moving. This does make you hotter because burning calories = producing heat, and so you'll sweat to get rid of the excess heat so you don't die of heat stroke. However if you're exercising in cold environment (i.e. same exercise), your body will still burn around the same number of calories and produce the same amount of heat, but because the room is colder, your body loses the heat much more easily and doesn't need to sweat anywhere near as much
  • jweindruch
    jweindruch Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about sweat…Keep going!!!…Don't stop moving.