Morbidly Obese to Obese & Why BMI Is Weird

Options
I was just looking through some old Christmas photos and I decided to show my success in the last 2 years. I decided I wanted to get healthy for my 40s so I started my most recent journey shortly before I was about to turn 39. I am 40 now. The funny thing about it is that I am still approaching 30 BMI, even though my body fat is in the healthy range. According to the BMI charts, I would need to lose another 30 pounds to be at the very top of my "healthy range." My body fat and waist to height ratio indicate I'm healthy NOW. So right now my goal is increased fitness, not increased weight loss.

013_zps0cc2a3c2.jpg

IMG_2833_zps4b3971e7.jpg

IMG_2906_zps1e5b8d67.jpg

I went from 235 to 190 in the first 6 months not tracking, just eating much cleaner with controlled portions. I tried tracking for about 4-5 months but reverted back into binge eating disorder patterns so I quit tracking all spring and summer. I am tracking again off and on. I have been exercising consistently since August 2012. I started my weight loss journey in March 2012 and lost the first 30 pounds not tracking AND not exercising AND not drinking extra water. I have been on a "diet' off an on since 2nd grade so nothing surprises me in terms of calorie counting. I've been practicing for over 30 years.

Since I started weight lifting and exercising consistently again, my body has been changing dramatically even though the scale has not. I have been roughly the same weight for the last 12 months but I've gone from a size XL in tops and 14's/12's to loose 10/11's and I can wear mediums in exercise pants, larges in tops. I've lost 3 belt holes without losing weight.

Right now I'm doing CrossFit, yoga, weights and swimming 6-12 hours per week. In the summer I will add back in hiking and running as part of the mix. Exercising has really helped me with my Binge Eating Disorder and I've only had one small binge in the last several months--the best run in my 30 years of fighting BED and bulimia (been purge free for about 10 years). Less stress=less disordered eating. I use MyFitnessPal for exercise support and to connect with other folks recovering from eating disorders.

My goals right now are to keep maintaining my recovery and stay active. I am starting Eat to Perform in January and hope to increase my proficiency in CrossFit through more effort now that I'm getting more adjusted to it. I would optimally like to lose some additional body fat percentage but honestly, I am pretty happy where I am at. I like having a boob, butt, and some softness in my tummy and thighs. I also love having muscles, so a nice balance is fine with me. Right now it's not about weight loss; it's about performance and being happy with myself. :smile:

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic!! Don't worry about bmi, it's a rubbish measurement of health especially for people with muscle! I'm also "overweight", at less than 20% body fat!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Thanks! It's hard not to focus on BMI when it has been beaten into our heads for so long.:smile:
  • NoTry_JustDo
    Options
    Amazing transformation. Wow.
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    You look fabulous!!!!!!
  • kelly_e_montana
    Options
    Thanks! :) Merry Christmas.
  • shad1018
    shad1018 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Merry Christmas, you look so healthy and beautiful. Thank you for the inspiration.
  • seliinac
    seliinac Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic! Such a great transformation!

Ignore that stupid BMI!

Merry Christmas!
  • ozSeptember
    Options
    BMI is a good indication, but it doesn't take in to consideration of muscle mass vs fat body.

It's very possible to have an unhealthy BMI range due to muscle mass, while being perfectly healthy.
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Congrats, you look great! Sometimes you just have to ignore BMI. :-)
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic! I'm about 2lbs away from "obese" to "overweight". Then it will be another 30lbs to break into "healthy". I hope I can get to healthy, but it seems like too low of a number for me.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    congrats on your loss, you are doing a great job!

BMI is a garbage stat…I would focus more on body fat% ..
    According to BMI I am "obese" but I maintain about 12% body fat..LOL..do you think that someone with 12% body fat is obese?? I would think not..

plus BMI does not account for muscle mass….
  • 00NL
    00NL Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    i think it is better to have bf tested and rely on it.
    and bmi chart even suggest in the end that people may be same weight with different muscle and fat ratios.
  • TexasOFT76
    TexasOFT76 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and you look fantastic! Great job!!

BMI is hooey....Keep rockin along as you are doing!!! :)
  • divainsneakers
    divainsneakers Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    You look great! Congrats.
  • mslee369
    Options
    Congrats! You look wonderful
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite. My BMI is 24.3, but my Aria scale says I'm 36.1% fat. I feel better and look better, so I ignore the numbers.
  • itsforme1106
    itsforme1106 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    That's why BMI can be a terrible indicator of health status in some cases.

Focus on the body fat % and the waist to hip ratio those are better indicators of mortality and cardiovascular health.

Just keep doing what you are doing celebrate the improvements that you see in your body and fitness and be proud!
  • kelly_e_montana
    Options
    thanks for the positive comments. i appreciate them. i have a problem seeing myself accurately at any weight.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    thanks for the positive comments. i appreciate them. i have a problem seeing myself accurately at any weight.

you look perfect, very well done. i now see that bmi is not the greatest measurement.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!