Becoming a biker

Options
Last fall I moved to a very bicycle friendly city and have been thinking about taking up biking... but I have no idea where to start.

Why are there 3 million types/kinds/styles?? And what on Earth are the differences?

Replies

• sempernova
    sempernova Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I"m new too and the choices are overwhelming! Check out TeamEstrogen.com...their forum has tons of great tips for newbies.
    Happy cycling!
  • fudJy23
    fudJy23 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Different bikes are built for different purposes. So you'll want to figure out what you want to do with the bike. Do you want to commute or run errands? Do you want ride on dirt trails? Do you want to ride it for general exercise? The other thing you'd want to ask yourself is how much you want to spend on a bike. There are definitely others here who can probably answer this question better but I figured those questions should at least point you in the right direction.

I own two bikes. One is a road bike that I take out on the trials for when it's just me and my bike, and a bottle of water, my keys, and a cell phone. It's when I just want to ride and go fast. The other bike I own is a hybrid. It's a little heavier than the road bike and so it rides more stable. I use it to commute to work and I hope to put a back rack on it and maybe some saddle bags so I can ride around town and haul stuff around. Certainly, I could have done both with one bike, but hey, I wanted an excuse to buy a second one :)