is changing exercise after some time needed?

Options
I heard that we need to change the exercise that we are doing after some time because our body may get used to the exercise and resulting in burning less calories, is that really true? Do we have to change exercise after a certain period of time? If yes, how long should we do the same exercise before changing to a new one?

Replies

• arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I don't believe thats true. If your lifting heavy and always trying to add more weight then you can keep on doing the same routine. I've 5-3-1 for 2 years now and still see numbers going up.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    If your not improving on it, then it might be time for a change.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    for myself i noticed that at first long walks was boosting weight loss but then i plateaud, so then i started running. stopped losing again so i started hiking and that seemed to have continued to tone me up and lose a little until i eventually got too low and stopped losing. i think every now and then our bodies just need a change in pace. couldn't really tell you when to switch or what to switch to as we are all different. what exercise do you currently do and for how long have you been doing it?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Not really...there is some adaptation, but it is minimal. That said, if you're not getting better at whatever you're doing and/or not pushing yourself like you used to then it may be time to switch things up.

Really though it depends on your fitness goals. I do some cross train, but I primarily ride my bike as my main cardio...I don't really switch it up other than during the spring I log a lot of miles for longer rides/races and in the summer and fall I do more sprints for cyclocross season. In the winter I just do minimal cycling to maintain a base...but pretty much just hit the weight room where it's warm during the winter.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    You do if the routine doesn't change in intensity or increased resistance. Staying at the same resistance for an extended period of time will allow adaptability to the load. Same with cardio.
    Changing resistance and/or intensity will force the body to respond.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I heard that we need to change the exercise that we are doing after some time because our body may get used to the exercise and resulting in burning less calories, is that really true?

Your body does get more efficient at tasks, which is why they feel easier over time. But you can change any of the variables - the weight, the duration, the exercise, or the frequency of doing it. Wait until you hit a plateau in performance to make changes, don't change based on the calendar.
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I heard that we need to change the exercise that we are doing after some time because our body may get used to the exercise and resulting in burning less calories, is that really true?

If you've lost weight, your body burns fewer calories when you do the same amount of exercise. It's not related to the type of exercise. It's related to your decrease in mass.

This article explains:
    https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/weight-loss-plateau/MY01152

Excerpt:
    A plateau occurs because your metabolism — the process of burning calories for energy — slows as you lose muscle. You burn fewer calories than you did at your heavier weight even doing the same activities. Your weight-loss efforts result in a new equilibrium with your now slower metabolism.

At this new equilibrium, calories eaten equals calories expended. This means that to lose more weight, you need to increase activity or decrease the calories you eat. Using the same approach that worked initially may maintain your weight loss, but it won't lead to more weight loss.

For example, on Sept. 25, 2012, I pedaled 13.25 miles in 60 minutes at resistance level 3.5 on my mini-bike and burned 614 calories.
    About 15 months later, on Dec. 9, 2013, I performed exactly the same exercise (same distance, time, and resistance) and burned 350 calories.

The main difference was that I had lost 46 pounds in the interim.
    I also celebrated two birthdays between those dates. Each year older means I burn slightly more calories for the same exercise, but that difference is negligible.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between varying your training stimulus in order to achieve continued increases in fitness and "changing the exercise because your body gets used to it and burns fewer calories".

The first is a bedrock axiom of successful training. The second is trainer/infomercial gibberish.
  • Wingg_
    Wingg_ Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Okay so I shall just increase the intensity or duration of the exercise~ thanks for the help!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Not to any meaningful extent.
  • Wingg_
    Wingg_ Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Because some didn't state that one will burn less cal due to the weight lost so I was confused. I understand that one will burn less cal doing the same exercise because they now weigh less, but if a person weight the same will they still burn less cal doing the same exercise?