Soldier looking for some help...

Hey everyone, I am currently Active Duty in the United States Army.
Since I have got back from deployment, I have gained some unnecessary weight and I am trying to kick it off.
I need a good, healthy, but semi - quick way to drop the weight.
I need to lose about 25 lbs.
I am active, PT'ing at least 2 times a day. 30-45 Minutes before PT'ing with my unit, and then 60 minutes with my unit.
I appreciate the help, and Merry Christmas to all!

Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Easiest and Sure fired way is to set a Caloric intake with a modest deficit to lose 1-2 lbs. a week and make sure you are hitting your macro's for each day... Continue to get in your exercise and make adjustments as needed... Beyond that there really is no magic pills or potions... Just put in the hard work and it will eventually pay off.... Best of Luck

Merry Christmas and Thank You for your Service.....
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Welcome back!
    Now start logging ;-)

Seriously though, an honest assessment of your eating will let you make intelligent decisions about how much to cut back and how to tweak the kinds of foods you're eating. Obviously you're already doing some working out.

Are there more extreme changes you can make? Sure, and you may need to if you've gotta make weight on a certain date - but find out what's going on now as your starting point so you can make sustainable changes for the long haul.
  • xrahelx
    xrahelx Posts: 11 Member
    under 50 carbs daily, or for real results ( and in my case super crankiness - for 2 weeks I did 15 carbs/ day. ) It worked but then I was hangry. Muscle milk light is awesome. Lost 20lbs in 2 months. Could have lost more if I was exercising every day. Now I am eating carbs again (bad) and gained an immediate 4lbs, damn.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,779 Member
    under 50 carbs daily, or for real results ( and in my case super crankiness - for 2 weeks I did 15 carbs/ day. ) It worked but then I was hangry. Muscle milk light is awesome. Lost 20lbs in 2 months. Could have lost more if I was exercising every day. Now I am eating carbs again (bad) and gained an immediate 4lbs, damn.

Carbs must be on Santa's "naughty" list. Poor little carbs.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member

No, no, no....do not listen to this. Low carbs are great if you dont' have an extremely active job, and aren't exercising with as much cardio as I know command PT can be. You will need the carbs, or it will affect your job. Just a heads up on this.

Quick question for you Mossy, is this to hit your weigh ins? If so when are yours? I know for the USCG, ours are April and October. If they are next month, the honest answer is that you should have started months ago. If they are next month, you might want to just suck it up and take the hit, if you have a few months you can maybe get there, but depends. The closer you get to goal the slower it will come off, and taping out might be what saves you.

As far as exercise, you sound like you have a good plan. Doing your own on top of the command PT is great.

But weight loss is all about calories in and calories out. I don't recommend going with too low of calories, your PT might suffer. And if I remember command PT, it is never something easy. Usually it is some form of plyometric/body weight/running mix. I always suggest TDEE/BMR for us military people...simply because of how demanding our jobs can be and how we typically have a high calorie intake anyway....well...unless you are like me and have a desk job lol. But I seriously recommend TDEE/BMR...it will allow you a lot of flexibility in what you can eat, and sometimes you need that if you eat at the galley or mess hall, and even better for when you want to go out with buddies in town. Here is the link to the group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/7965-in-place-of-a-road-map
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member

No, no, no....do not listen to this. Low carbs are great if you dont' have an extremely active job, and aren't exercising with as much cardio as I know command PT can be. You will need the carbs, or it will affect your job. Just a heads up on this.

Phew, TY rduhlir for saying this very important to maintain an adequate balance of all your macros especially with intense physical training!
  • jmlrh2
    jmlrh2 Posts: 10
    My platoon Sgt in the National Guard was the person who introduced me to this site a couple of years ago. It works well just be honest and log everything. Pay attention to your serving sizes and lay off the pogie bait and the weight will come off. Good luck and thank you for service.
  • Honestly, I don't know when my next height and weight is. Probably within the next 3 months, so that is why I am trying to get back into a good routine and make sure I am in regulations.
    I appreciate all the input from everyone!