Weight Loss Myths?

Options
I just had a visit with my nutritionist where she cleared some things up for me! From countless tries with Weight Watcher's I thought that saving calories for the weekend, a big meal, or a party was acceptable. She said this is a big NO NO! Any meal that contains more than 600 calories will be converted to fat. I had no idea!

Another myth she helped me with was the 'No eating after 7 rule' or 6, or 8, or whatever. She said the rule of thumb is to have your last snack/meal an hour before you go to sleep! I don't go to bed until 11 so the whole don't eat after a certain time does not work for me. It's such a relief to know that I can have a snack at 9 or 10 and its OKAY!

I would love to hear about some other weight loss myths!

Thanks! Sam :)

Replies

• Winter0916
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for the tips!
  • unocentavo
    unocentavo Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I even know personal trainers that tell their clients they "save" calories for a big meal and to count your cals for the week, not the day. That is so wrong.

The "don't eat after 7pm" rule...I read an article not long ago that this was proven false, in which I was glad to hear because I've never followed it,lol. I'm a late night eater and usually never hungry in the morning and afternoon. It makes sense though if you think about it...we're getting ready to fast for basically 8 hours, so a light meal an hour before bedtime would have to help more than hurt.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Oprah was wrong haha. She always went on about how you shouldn't eat 3 hours before you go to bed, "not even a grape!" But the one hour before going to bed makes more sense and would be much more easier to do.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Good to know about the 600 calorie meals! Makes sense!
  • MDVOID
    MDVOID Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Here is one more:

"Myth #6: Cut out desserts
    Fact: Don’t deprive yourself sweets
    Deprivation is the downfall of all diets. You can have a small portion of dessert to satisfy your sweet tooth and still stick to your diet. You just don’t want to eat a large portion, or more! Food is pleasurable for many people. So, treat yourself but don’t overindulge. You can create a diet that lets you eat a sweet once a day or once a week. Dieters who deprive themselves tend to go overboard when they have candy, cake, or cookies. So make a good choice of what you include in your diet. Maybe you can have a small dessert after dinner or lunch."

via http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/13897378
  • SharonsJetSet
    Options
    great information thanks for sharing
  • SharonsJetSet
    Options
    Here is one more:

"Myth #6: Cut out desserts
    Fact: Don’t deprive yourself sweets
    Deprivation is the downfall of all diets. You can have a small portion of dessert to satisfy your sweet tooth and still stick to your diet. You just don’t want to eat a large portion, or more! Food is pleasurable for many people. So, treat yourself but don’t overindulge. You can create a diet that lets you eat a sweet once a day or once a week. Dieters who deprive themselves tend to go overboard when they have candy, cake, or cookies. So make a good choice of what you include in your diet. Maybe you can have a small dessert after dinner or lunch."

via http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/13897378

This is a proven FACT!! ok maybe not but it is with me. if I deprive myself some small indulgence, I end up shoveling food - not just food but REALLY FATTENING food. If I give into temptation just a little bit (reasonably like not a tone of sugar, fat or calories) then psychologically, emotionally and physically I feel satisfied.

Thanks for posting this
  • Pendragn
    Pendragn Posts: 15
    Options
    I used to be very worried about the no eating after 7 "rule" because my taekwondo classes don't generally get out until 8 or 8:30pm. By the time I get home, shower and change clothes, and make it down to the kitchen to cook dinner, it's well after 9. I'm happy to say that eating that late hasn't slowed my progress at all. Paraphrasing what someone on another site told me, it's far better to eat late after an intense workout than not to work out because you're worried about eating too late.

As far as other myths, a common one is that all you need to do is count calories. This is a myth because not all calories are created equal for each individual. Knowing your body's protein, carb, and fat needs can help you eat the right combination of calories. If you have an auto-immune disorder (chronic fatigue, thyroid, celiac, etc.), too many carbs can inhibit weight loss even if you're not eating a lot of calories overall. Carbs are important for energy, though, especially if you're exercising while dieting. If you work out a lot, not eating enough protein can inhibit muscle growth, so you won't get the full benefits of all that exercise. Protein also stays in your system for awhile, making you feel full longer. Cutting back on fats is generally good, but not getting enough healthy fat (olive oil, avocado, etc.) can sap your energy and affect your HDL/LDL balance. Also, if you're staying under your calorie goals but eating a lot of processed foods, all the extra sodium in your diet can cause water retention. So if you find that you're still struggling even though you're staying under your calorie limits, try playing with your proportions of macro-nutrients and look at your sodium intake to see if changing those up breaks the plateau.
  • SweatinSammie
    Options
    Great feed back and tips guys - it's so helpful!!!
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Good to know about the 600 cal meal!!!!

The other- I always work out later, and eat later, so I generally eat around 8/9 and go to bed around 11.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I love my minni snack befor bed. If I go to bed without one I can't sleep for thinking of food. It's usualy just a very small fruit,yogurt w sweet granola spinkled on it. Less then 100 calories. Or a cup of hot milk is about the same calories. I think it is a blood sugar thing, but I've always felt guilt about the "rule"
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    I love that article....I am so sick of the low carb high protein b.s. so many people are pushing all the time.
    sorry to those running with that theory, but its just silly.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    600 calorie meals being converted to fat?

That's a myth in itself, people.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I love that article....I am so sick of the low carb high protein b.s. so many people are pushing all the time.

If it works for them, then who cares? No one is forcing you to eat that way.
  • spaniel
    spaniel Posts: 468
    Options
    Interesting info - thanks!!
  • Maggie1960
    Maggie1960 Posts: 322
    Options
    I love my minni snack befor bed. If I go to bed without one I can't sleep for thinking of food. It's usualy just a very small fruit,yogurt w sweet granola spinkled on it. Less then 100 calories. Or a cup of hot milk is about the same calories. I think it is a blood sugar thing, but I've always felt guilt about the "rule"

You're the same as me! I can't sleep if I feel hungry and I always save 100 calories or so so I can have something to eat before retiring for the night. Otherwise I just lie there fantasizing about food. With something in my belly, I can turn my thoughts to more appropriate fantasies for bedtime:wink:
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options

It's not bs, nor is it silly. Cutting down on crappy, processed white carbs is great for you. It's a necessity for some people and it's how some of us have decided to be healthy. Who's to say that counting calories but still eating a bunch of processed crappy carbs isn't silly bs?

Don't knock what you don't understand.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    600 calorie meals being converted to fat?

That's a myth in itself, people.
    That's kinda what I was thinking but I don't actually have any proof.
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options

If it works for them, then who cares? No one is forcing you to eat that way.
    no no, i dont mind that people do it or that it works for them....
    ive just got some pushy friends and id like to remind them that what i do works just as well.

sorry, a friend had just posted a "holier than thou" tweet about their diet not long ago and so my post turned out a little aggressive.
    believe me, Im all for the "to each their own"
    and ive switched to almost all whole grains, myself. just the occasional donut or serving of white rice doesnt even cross my mind as a bad idea haha

(i really need to not post places when im flustered with something)