Shocking High Calories in small bags of nuts

Options
I was about to eat 150g plain salted peanuts (It's only just over a handful), but thought Ill just log it on MFP before I eat them so I don't forget, to my shock nearly 950 calories if I consume that little bag.

So glad I logged before I ate, I discarded the peanuts and deleted my log entity cause I decided not to eat them.

Things like these existing just make me feel angry and how people can comsume them all day and not gain a single ounce.

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    150 grams is quite a lot of nuts. I eat nuts every day, but my servings are in the 100 calorie range. I weigh them and put them in my own snack baggies.
  • pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    The logging amounts can be a little wonky on here sometimes. Are you sure it was correct? A little baggie of peanuts should probably be 150 to 200 calories or so.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Yes, 150 grams of peanuts is over a cup. That is a lot of peanuts.
  • Saramelie
    Saramelie Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    The logging amounts can be a little wonky on here sometimes. Are you sure it was correct? A little baggie of peanuts should probably be 150 to 200 calories or so.
    Seems right to me. 150 grams is 5 oz, so it's a lot of nuts, lot's of calories.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    An ounce(28g) is generally a serving size of nuts? So that bag was 5 servings?
  • pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Seems right to me. 150 grams is 5 oz, so it's a lot of nuts, lot's of calories.

He said it was just over a handful. He would need to have huge hands.
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Haha! Yes I got huge hands, 150grams does not look like much to me, I think I could of eaten them all quickily in just 1 handful, but as SherryTeach states I expected it to read 150-250 calories, not over 900!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Things like these existing just make me feel angry and how people can comsume them all day and not gain a single ounce.

There are no such people.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    A heaping open handful....or a closed hand full? Go for a closed hand full and you'll be ok....nuts aren't the best thing to snack in if you've got an open bag. The hand to mouth action is addictive and the nuts aren't that satisfying so you can easily eat more than you need
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You just learned one more piece of information that will help you out when you are maintaining your weight. :happy:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I was about to eat 150g plain salted peanuts (It's only just over a handful), but thought Ill just log it on MFP before I eat them so I don't forget, to my shock nearly 950 calories if I consume that little bag.

So glad I logged before I ate, I discarded the peanuts and deleted my log entity cause I decided not to eat them.

When you say things like these...do you mean the actual food or the amount? Couldn't you have eaten a smaller amount of peanuts so that they could fit into your calorie goal?
  • PikaKnight
    Options

There are no such people.

^This too. If anyone consumes more than their maintenance calories, they will gain weight.
  • Spiderkeys
    Options
    I just learnt to log before you eat anything you unsure over, in my old habits I would eat an open hand of nuts in 1 mouthful. (my hands arnt that huge!)
  • Spiderkeys
    Options

When you say things like these...do you mean the actual food or the amount? Couldn't you have eaten a smaller amount of peanuts so that they could fit into your calorie goal?

I planned to eat the whole bag, anything less just didnt seem worth it.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Why is that?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I wish they had nuts listed by number, not volume or weight. I eat cashews and pistachios every day - like 5 at a time. I have done it often enough that I know what to log. But who eats 1/4 cup of pistachios? That's a LOT of nuts!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Yep, just carefully tucking this into my news feed.
  • Matt24442
    Options
    if you have a small bag of nuts, i bet you have trouble getting dates? Am i right? I mean the food, dates..cause you cant even finish the small bag of nuts..

2mHHgkm.gif
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

I totally get that. I am that way about ice cream. The small amount that's a "serving size" just ****es me off.