I'm Really Frustrated With How to Eat to Lose Fat

Options
2»

Replies

• catpea33
    catpea33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've found the best way to lose fat has been to tweak my macros. I eat a gluten-free low carb high fat and have lost 13lb and about 3% body fat in 8 weeks (I'm 5'5" and weigh 130lb). I've gained muscle in that time. Before that I was maintaining a calorie deficit at about 70% carbs, working out with weights and HIIT and not losing fat or weight. Obviously this is just an N=1 study but it works for me and it's worked for my friends.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Stretching the muscles and using them will lengthen them.

How I can lengthen my muscles without increasing the distance between joints?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Since it's not really a good idea to try to build muscle while trying to lose fat, it might be a good idea to run at a calorie deficit, following MFP's recommendations. That will help you lose the weight. Start doing Pilates, build up to a good intensity level. PIlates is very good at creating toned muscle and lengthening those muscles. Add strength training to strengthen the muscles and get them ready for the building. Then when you've hit your weight loss goal, start the building process.

What distinction are you making between "toning" and "building" - what's the difference? Also, please explain how a muscle can be "lengthened".

Stretching the muscles and using them will lengthen them. Muscles tends to be tight and bunch up more when not used or stretched regularly. Toning is simply defining them and improving how they work and react to use each day. Building is actually adding muscle fiber to them (bulk) to make them larger. Men have an easier time bulking, women have an easier time toning. Toned and defined muscle looks better and gives a leaner sillhouette. It will also make you feel better when your muscles are used to stretching and working - conditioning. It's why there are so many injuries in the NFL this year; their new agreement means they have to work out and practice much less, and those less conditioned muscles are much more prone to injury.

facepalm.gif

FACEPALM_Dean_Winchester.gif
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    When did Hy-Vee (which is a grocery store) get dieticians and why would you pick one from there over say one linked to a medical facility?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Since it's not really a good idea to try to build muscle while trying to lose fat, it might be a good idea to run at a calorie deficit, following MFP's recommendations. That will help you lose the weight. Start doing Pilates, build up to a good intensity level. PIlates is very good at creating toned muscle and lengthening those muscles. Add strength training to strengthen the muscles and get them ready for the building. Then when you've hit your weight loss goal, start the building process.

What distinction are you making between "toning" and "building" - what's the difference? Also, please explain how a muscle can be "lengthened".

Stretching the muscles and using them will lengthen them. Muscles tends to be tight and bunch up more when not used or stretched regularly. Toning is simply defining them and improving how they work and react to use each day. Building is actually adding muscle fiber to them (bulk) to make them larger. Men have an easier time bulking, women have an easier time toning. Toned and defined muscle looks better and gives a leaner sillhouette. It will also make you feel better when your muscles are used to stretching and working - conditioning. It's why there are so many injuries in the NFL this year; their new agreement means they have to work out and practice much less, and those less conditioned muscles are much more prone to injury.

You're in a hole. Stop digging
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Stretching the muscles and using them will lengthen them. Muscles tends to be tight and bunch up more when not used or stretched regularly. Toning is simply defining them and improving how they work and react to use each day. Building is actually adding muscle fiber to them (bulk) to make them larger. Men have an easier time bulking, women have an easier time toning. Toned and defined muscle looks better and gives a leaner sillhouette. It will also make you feel better when your muscles are used to stretching and working - conditioning.

So much wrong going on here..I can't even.

Tracy Anderson devotee perhaps? :noway:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I feel like a dietitian would be really beneficial because I have so many questions, and it would be nice to have someone to be able to ask questions to. I'm also so confused about healthy eating.

I thought that too - then I went to a dietitian. Complete waste of time. Log everything and go from there.

^this. I've been to dieticians before. I nodded politely but left feeling like I know more than they do. unless they were dumbing it down for me? IDK. just do your own research, from reputable sources.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Stretching the muscles and using them will lengthen them. Muscles tends to be tight and bunch up more when not used or stretched regularly. Toning is simply defining them and improving how they work and react to use each day. Building is actually adding muscle fiber to them (bulk) to make them larger. Men have an easier time bulking, women have an easier time toning. Toned and defined muscle looks better and gives a leaner sillhouette. It will also make you feel better when your muscles are used to stretching and working - conditioning.

So much wrong going on here..I can't even.

Tracy Anderson devotee perhaps? :noway:

Oh god..."no woman should lift more than 3 pounds"...perhaps. :frown:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

facepalm.gif

FACEPALM_Dean_Winchester.gif

giphy.gif
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

You're in a hole. Stop digging

dog-digging-o.gif...and and the toxinz, and and the waters, and and the ketones..and and...