Getting the best out of a fitbit one

Options
So Santa brought me a fitbit one and I've synced it up with my pc. Just wondered whether anyone has any tips to get the most from it? Like the best way to wear it? what exercise it works well with or doesn't - like does it work with cycling? Any quirks or surprising benefits? Did you find logging more or less accurate than using the MFP exercise logging? Did it motivate you to move more?

I'm sitting here with a chesty cold and wishing I could get moving and test it out already!

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Fitbit shows your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), which is your exercise + BMR (the calories you burn just being alive). When you set up your MFP account, you chose an activity level. MFP used that plus your age, sex & height to estimate your TDEE. Then you set a weight-loss goal, and MFP subtracted the appropriate deficit to calculate your daily calorie goal.

Once you go to http://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps/show/30 and link your accounts, Fitbit will tell MFP your TDEE. If it's more than MFP estimated, you'll get an exercise calorie adjustment (meaning more calories to eat). If you enable negative adjustments (and your goal is more than 1,200 calories), when your TDEE is less than the MFP estimate you get fewer calories to eat.

The connection is sometimes glitchy. You can usually force a sync by disconnecting & reconnecting your accounts. The first day, Fitbit estimates your BMR for the entire day, so it's usually way off. As the days go by, it gets more & more accurate, almost as if it's "learning" your routine.

MFP has a "Fitbit Users" group at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1307-fitbit-users
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    Wow that's such helpful info! I had a feeling that I could use it with MFP but didn't know what to do. Sounds like it will be really useful. Thank you!
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    To answer one of your other questions, yes my Fitbit Flex inspires me to move more. It's fun when the band vibrates to tell me I've met my goal. If I get home at night & see I'm thisclose to making goal, I'll walk around the block. It really adds up.

It will take some trial & error to find what settings work best for you. (For example, my goal is 8,000 steps per day. The default is 10,000.)
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    To answer one of your other questions, yes my Fitbit Flex inspires me to move more. It's fun when the band vibrates to tell me I've met my goal. If I get home at night & see I'm thisclose to making goal, I'll walk around the block. It really adds up.

It will take some trial & error to find what settings work best for you. (For example, my goal is 8,000 steps per day. The default is 10,000.)

^ this, my fitbit has been attached to me for almost 2 years
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    I was hoping to hear that it inspired extra movement, thank you! My TDEE is going to be awful today...but hope to get moving as soon as I feel a bit better. I'll have to look at goals and try to find something appropriate for me to start at.
  • sbdriver2
    sbdriver2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am finding my Fitbit one does not seem to be counting any "gentle" movements. For example, pushing a grocery cart in the store, walking around the living room and dusting. It is very accurate if I go for a walk. I have been wearing my fitbit and a pedometer for a couple of days just to compare and the fitbit is about 2000 steps lower each day. I have looked at my fitbit, done some chores, and checked it again when I finished to find I have take less than 40 steps after an hour of dusting and vacuuming. I know this can't be right. Does anyone else have this issue?
  • amanda9402
    amanda9402 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I either put my fitbit in a pocket or clip it to the front of my bra. The latter helps when wearing something without pockets (obviously), but it also helps that I can see it when I change clothes so that I don't accidentally leave it in that pocket.

I've found my one to be pretty accurate in general. It's much harder to fake out with little movements than my old pedometer (shifting on the couch would increment that thing, where the fitbit says, "not so fast, couch potato").

It's also encouraged a lot more honesty with myself about my activity level and I make a bigger effort to walk around during the day at work, or get my butt to the gym if I have really been a sloth.

When MFP deducts calories from my goal for inactivity, it's a good reality check.

Good luck, and enjoy!
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I got my Fitbit One for Christmas. I love it! I wear clipped to my bra most days. It really motivates me to move. I walk upstairs to go to the bathroom at work, just to get more steps and floors in for the day. I have hit 10,000 steps on a couple days....didn't how hard it was to do. I have the app on my phone and on my Ipad so it syncs frequently.
  • sbdriver2
    Options
    I have sent an e-mail to fitbit to see if I get a response. From googling around, it appears that they have it set to a certain "pace" and if you aren't moving they way they intend, it doesn't count. :( I haven't set it to sync with MFP yet. I didn't even know I could do it until today. I'll play around with it over the weekend and "start fresh" on Monday. This is going to be interesting! lol I did try clipping it to my bra, but I want to peek at it way too often, and flashing people is out of the question. ;)
  • hanab1987
    hanab1987 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've had my Fitbit One for about 4 weeks now and have it clipped to my bra everyday (unless I'm in my pjs then I clip it to my waist). I've had a couple of days over Christmas where I didn't the house and subsequently clocked up under 1000 steps as I was sat on my bum all day (the shame!!) and only 4/5 flights of stairs (parents have a downstairs loo which didn't help that!) yet Fitbit still says I burned over 2000 cals throughout the day. However... Last weekend I went out shipping, did over 8000 steps and climbed 14 flights of stairs. How many cals did it say I burned that day? A mere 1500 or so. I don't get it surely that can't be right?! Anyone else had that issue?
  • vaporhockey83
    vaporhockey83 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    There's a section in Fitbit settings where you need to measure your paces. The space between your steps. It has one for general walking and one for running. This might be why it isn't tracking correctly. It says to go out onto a track to do it, but I just did mine in my living room by walking ten feet (the length, not steps). Did the math and added it into these sections. Guessed on the running. I would imagine this would be essential, though I can't tell you for sure. I'll be doing some Google'ing for sure.

As for the Fitbit One...it definitely has encouraged me to keep moving. Especially while at work. If I sit around too much and have nothing immediate to do, I might go for a quick walk around the inside of the office. I'll climb more stairs to see that range rise. Since using it, I've lost an additional ten pounds. On top of all of that, their customer service is beyond awesome. I lost mine somewhere reaching into my pocket I'd imagine, and they replaced it with a brand new one for no cost whatsoever. My fault completely and I received a new one.

Google complete...stride is a must : https://help.fitbit.com/customer/portal/articles/176045-how-do-i-measure-and-adjust-my-stride-length-
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    I didn't leave the house and subsequently clocked up under 1000 steps as I was sat on my bum all day (the shame!!) Fitbit still says I burned over 2000 cals throughout the day.
    Fitbit measures your BMR, the calories you burn just being alive.
    I did over 8000 steps and climbed 14 flights of stairs. How many cals did it say I burned that day? A mere 1500 or so. I don't get it surely that can't be right?
    People way overestimate how many calories walking burns. That said, your burn shouldn't have been higher on a lazy day than on an active one. I would contact Fitbit customer service. They're super helpful.

As I said above, it took a while for the exercise adjustments to "learn" my routine. But this is an accuracy issue. You may have a defective One.

Edited to add that my TDEE is 1,500-ish, but I'm only 5'1 or 2".
  • sbdriver2
    Options
    I did put my stride in, but only for walking (around the house walking, not exercise walking) I did it on the second day I had the fitbit. I don't run at all, so didn't calculate the stride. I just find it doesn't count anything unless it's a "forceful" movement. General walking around the house dusting, making the bed, unloading the diswasher doesn't register at all. Nothing, zilch, nada. :( It definitely has made me aware of just how sedentary I am.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    sbdriver2- Ask for a new one. That's not right. I've had 3 and they all track housework. There are some pedometers that are programmed to only count 'fitness type walking' but the Fitbits aren't that way.

Your stride should only matter to your distance estimate. It has nothing to do with your calorie burn estimate. There is default stride data in there so not setting it doesn't affect much.

OP- The One is programmed to be worn on the torso. The bra or waistband usually works well. It doesn't track cycling or anything else where you're on some vehicle under some resistance. Well, it might track something but it's assuming you're unencumbered and on the ground, so it's not going to be accurate for the calorie burn.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    The One is programmed to be worn on the torso. The bra or waistband usually works well. It doesn't track cycling or anything else where you're on some vehicle under some resistance. Well, it might track something but it's assuming you're unencumbered and on the ground, so it's not going to be accurate for the calorie burn.
    You have to log all non-step activity, either in Fitbit (I do) or MFP (as MFP recommends--you have to enter start & end times).
  • sbdriver2
    Options
    I'm waiting for a reply from fitbit, bit I think I will ask for a new one. This was a gift. I have no receipt. Not sure how to handle it.
  • sbdriver2
    Options
    I just spent 1 1/2 hours taking down our tree and Christmas decorations. Fitbit recorded about 1500 steps, as well as 9 flights of stairs (I was stomping my feet while walking and doing extra laps on the stairs while I was working. lol) Fitbit transferred to MFP that I burned 13 extra calories through exercise. Can that be right? Onlly 13 calories? Sigh.... :(
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    What Fitbit transfer to MFP as your adjustment doesn't have much to do with it. Look at the Fitbit site itself. Does the calorie burn and steps data for THAT 90 minutes look reasonable? 1500 steps for 90 minutes on your feet sounds way too low. Do a little test. Hold down the button on your Fitbit to start a 'recording'. Then walk around your house while counting out 100 steps. Then end the recording. Did it count 100-ish steps? If not, tell Fitbit. They won't need a receipt.
  • sbdriver2
    Options
    I tried the timing thing twice. Both times it counted about 85 steps. I walked around just the way I would have if I was unloading the dishwasher and tidying up the kitchen. I think the fitbit charts look o.k. for the time I was taking the tree down. It does show fairly active when I was going up and down the stairs like a mad man. I'm still new to this, and fairly computer illiterate, so it's not helping. I belong to Curves and usually my curves workout is around 1800 to 2000 steps, and since using fitbit it records about 1500. It is definitely counting low. I sent my e-mail to fitbit on Friday, so I don't expect I'll get a reply until next week. In the mean time, I'll just keep plodding along.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    bump