Milk?!?!

Options

Replies

• nicenhealthy
    Options
    So i never in my life used to drink milk, I have always hated the taste and the smell. I am training myself to like more healthy things and I have always known that milk is good for you, but how is it for someone trying to lose weight? I feel like its calories that may not always be necessary to consume...is it worth to my body what its weight in calories is?? Any thoughts on this?? keep in mind i am only starting out with a small glass one meal a day :)

It's not life-changing either way. Is it worth it for the cals? IIFYM (http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/)
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    You can get more calcium from a vitamin and more protein from an egg. Milk is made for babies to gain weight. Dieting people don't need it.
    You don't need the cheese or pizza that's in your ticker either...

Well, YOU don't.

Wtf is that supposed to mean? Everyone loves pizza. Anyways OP said they don't even like milk but wondering if they should force themselves to drink it. Simply stating protein and calcium come from other sources other than hormone injected water.
  • RaggedyPond
    Options
    They get to save 20 whole calories! Wooo!

Huh?

1 cup skim milk 80 cals
    1 cup almond milk 60 cals = 20 cal difference

1081.gif
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    They get to save 20 whole calories! Wooo!

Huh?

1 cup skim milk 80 cals
    1 cup almond milk 60 cals = 20 cal difference

1081.gif

Edited to clarify .... is that eye roll is directed at me or the OP?
  • RaggedyPond
    Options
    Indeed it is used as an ingredient in things. The point is not having to drink it when you don't want to not list what you can make with milk.

OP said nothing about almond milk. The replies are saying almond milk saves SOOO many calories.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Indeed it is used as an ingredient in things. The point is not having to drink it when you don't want to not list what you can make with milk.

What was the point of the baby cow and should not be drunk when dieting comments if your actual point was don't drink it if you don't like it (which was pretty much what everyone else was saying anyway).?

Also...quotes help.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    I'm spending the holidays at home, and my dad drinks the fattiest milk they sell. Geesuscrist, I am never going back to 2%. Tastes like milky heaven. This is what angels drink to stay white and fluffy.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I drink milk. Real milk. Whole milk. I'm not here for almond/coconut/soy water or low fat milks because...Well, they aren't the same. They don't taste the same and frankly when I want milk I want milk. Not smushed nuts.

Also almond milk tastes awful. Sorrynotsorryjustsaying
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    OP said nothing about almond milk. The replies are saying almond milk saves SOOO many calories.

I am not sure where you shop, but I can get almond milk at 30 cals a cup. That's actually quite a big difference % wise.

However, I only use it for cooking as it tastes nasty (plus the texture is bleh!).
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    You can get more calcium from a vitamin and more protein from an egg. Milk is made for babies to gain weight. Dieting people don't need it.
    You don't need the cheese or pizza that's in your ticker either...

Well, YOU don't.

Wtf is that supposed to mean? Everyone loves pizza. Anyways OP said they don't even like milk but wondering if they should force themselves to drink it. Simply stating protein and calcium come from other sources other than hormone injected water.

Unless you are getting organic pizzas maybe there is "hormone injected water" turned into cheese on your pizza. Confused about what you are saying.
  • RaggedyPond
    Options

What was the point of the baby cow and should not be drunk when dieting comments if your actual point was don't drink it if you don't like it (which was pretty much what everyone else was saying anyway).?

Also...quotes help.

*Still using quotes. Maybe they aren't showing up on your computer

Why parrot the same advice already given?
  • RaggedyPond
    Options

I am not sure where you shop, but I can get almond milk at 30 cals a cup. That's actually quite a big difference % wise.

However, I only use it for cooking as it tastes nasty (plus the texture is bleh!).

We are very limited on American products here.
  • laxheart16
    laxheart16 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don't drink regular milk. I grew up on rice milk but recently switched to almond milk and coconut milk. They're so delicious, and I think they're also better for you.
  • Henrichette
    Henrichette Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you don't like milk, try vegetable milk! There are many kinds as soy, almond and rice milk ; moreover they usually contain less fat.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Make the switch to Almond Milk less calories

Impossible. Almonds do not have teats.

Perhaps you are referring to strained sweetened almond water instead?

:heart:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

We are very limited on American products here.

Well...the OP is from the States. Also, you can get it in the UK...so not an "American" product.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    If you don't like milk, try vegetable milk! There are many kinds as soy, almond and rice milk ; moreover they usually contain less fat.

Is less fat a selling point? What's wrong with the fat from milk?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Also...quotes help.

*Still using quotes. Maybe they aren't showing up on your computer

Why parrot the same advice already given?

No, you were not using quotes.

Also. I am not sure what you are getting at with your second line. Because advice had been given you think you need to give other advice?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Like many others, I am going to urge you to try almond milk. I use the unsweetened for my cereal 30 calories a cup, more calcium than normal milk. The biggest benefit is that, if you are not much of a milk drinker this stuff lasts 6-8 weeks in the fridge. Woot. What really surprised me is that my dairy farm raised husband claimed that "Our official milk is now almond milk", and it only took me 2 years to get him to try it. Although, to be honest, for straight up drinking the dude prefers fully fatted buttermilk. I make him drink it in glasses I can't see through, because ewwwwwwwww. He likes the almond for cereal, dunking and adding chocolate to, or Ovaltine.

And like, uh, no one else apparently, I'm going to urge you *not* to drink strained almond water...because it's ridiculously overpriced for what it is...and because it's an abomination of nature and WHO should orchestrate a worldwide campaign to eradicate this vile substance.

Perhaps I should draft a petition to this effect.
    Almond milk is for baby almonds.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Milk is a good, easy, non-supplement source of protein and calcium. As long as you enjoy it and it fits your calories and macros and you aren't lactose intolerant. You could add chocolate and have chocolate milk, or add coffee and have a latte.