You over ate today, when does it really show on the scale?

Options
You overate today, do you really think the extra 10 pounds on the scale was from yesterday, ONE day? I've always wondered this but to gain a pound it takes 3500 calories, and our weight fluctuates daily (mine does). So what is the science behind over eating on one day.

Replies

• focuseddiva
    focuseddiva Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Don't know... but usually I see the effects two days later. So my weight might not be up the very next day (unless I ate tons of salty stuff), but the following day it is. Even if the day after I overate I controlled my calories strictly. I think everyone is different when it comes to that.
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    Only one way to find out.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    water ... sodium and sugar can both cause higher water retention. also, the mass/volume of the food ... (digestive matter / fecal matter) on a lesser note. usually water is the larger culprit ... (and flushed out pretty easily if you don't continue with sodium/carb/sugar) ...
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I didn't gain all this weight by overeating one day. As long as I get back to eating properly, one day of over doing will not show up on the scale.
  • IdaBigelow
    Options
    I googled that same question one day and basically came up with it depending on the type of food you ate and how your body breaks down different foods it could take 24 to 72 hours