What to do with frozen cranberries?

Options
I bought 2 bags of fresh cranberries but they were so tart i couldn't finish it so i stuffed them in the freezer. What can I do with them now?

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    make cranberry sauce, cranberry bread, cranberry pancakes, cranberry and some kind of poultry, or give them to me! :bigsmile:
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Use them in smoothies, use them for cookies, make homemade cranberry jam, or divy them out into ice cube trays to cover with water and use as fancy ice cubes for drinks on New Year's Eve. Once they are frozen you can pop them out and put them in a plastic baggy to save space.
  • tinavflynn
    tinavflynn Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I know the obvious answer is cranberry sauce, but my sister makes a seriously awesome cranberry sauce.

1 cup sugar
    1 cup orange juice
    Dash (1/2 tsp or so) of Cinnamon

Add Orange juice and sugar together and heat until sugar dissolves, then add the cranberries and dash of cinnamon. Put the cranberries on a low boil until most of them have popped. Then put them in a bowl and in the fridge until a jelly consistency.

Enjoy!
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Edit: ^^ that recipe is AWESOME. I've made that a couple of times.

Plop those puppies in pancakes, waffles, muffins, any quick breads, even cookies. I wouldn't even bother thawing them out much first.
  • fangmouse
    Options
    If I put them as they are into muffins and such, will it make the baked goods taste overly tart? :/ just curious!
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    If I put them as they are into muffins and such, will it make the baked goods taste overly tart? :/ just curious!

When you bake them they become significantly less tart and more sweet.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    I know the obvious answer is cranberry sauce, but my sister makes a seriously awesome cranberry sauce.

1 cup sugar
    1 cup orange juice
    Dash (1/2 tsp or so) of Cinnamon

Add Orange juice and sugar together and heat until sugar dissolves, then add the cranberries and dash of cinnamon. Put the cranberries on a low boil until most of them have popped. Then put them in a bowl and in the fridge until a jelly consistency.

Enjoy!

I do this, but with half the sugar and add blackberries. It's very very good. Goes well on roast beef, leftover turkey, and pretty much any other meat.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

So typically dried cranberries are sweetened so recipes that call for those have less sugar than recipes with fresh cranberries.
    With fresh, I think it's like 2-3T for 1c cranberries.

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2008/11/meyer-lemon-and-fresh-cranberry-scones/

also cranberry BBQ sauce

They last for awhile in the freezer so don't worry about keeping them for a bit
  • krazeedr
    krazeedr Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Cranberry maple syrup yam casserole:

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/recipefinder/maple-cranberry-sweet-potatoes-recipes

I love this recipe and make it as often as I can. I skip the butter though. I find no reason for it.
  • marko320
    marko320 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Garnish your vodka cocktails with them.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/recipefinder/maple-cranberry-sweet-potatoes-recipes

I love this recipe and make it as often as I can. I skip the butter though. I find no reason for it.

Butter = deliciousness.
    it'd bring out other flavors in the food.
    Plus it's only 3T in a dish that serves 10.
    So that's only 30 more calories a serving
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    I know you dont want to use them for cranberry sauce but I made it yesterday with a can of mandarin oranges (big can) and used the juice from the oranges in place of the water and cut the sugar back to half it was soo good :)
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    throw them at people you don't like.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    throw them at people you don't like.

I recommend using a sling shot.

2iitkyg.jpg
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options

This. Heating them up some way makes them sweeter.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite thing to do with whole cranberries, and it's so easy, even an idiot like me can do it.
    http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbsidedishes/r/cransauce.htm
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    google some recipes. I make Cranberry/apple Bread. It is always a hit.
  • tfleischer
    tfleischer Posts: 199 Member
    Options

Kind of like people after they get baked.....:smokin:
  • krazeedr
    krazeedr Posts: 35 Member
    Options

Butter = deliciousness.
    it'd bring out other flavors in the food.
    Plus it's only 3T in a dish that serves 10.
    So that's only 30 more calories a serving

I'm not anti-butter, lol. I think it should be a food group unto itself - with bacon and cream cheese - for just delicious things. I don't find it adds much to this one though so I tend to skip it. I think the reduced maple syrup adds so much wonderful flavor on its own. It's a very rich flavor all by itself. Try it - if you're a fan of yams and cranberries, you'll be a fan of this!
  • marko320
    marko320 Posts: 84 Member
    Options

Kind of like people after they get baked.....:smokin:

Word.