Hello

Options
:smile: Well i have made the decision today that it is time for me to loose this excess weight. I was told by the doctors that if i didn't get my weight under control i wouldn't see my kids grow up. It has to do with my liver and it can be controled as long as i loose the weight. Im 260 lbs and want to get down to 200. I have done good in the past but fall off the wagon. I am hoping this site will help keep me on track. Anyone have any suggestions on a good excersize other than running. I tried to run and im too heavy my knees couldn't take the stress i put on them. Any Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• MaryTheIceCube
    MaryTheIceCube Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP! Congratulations on your decision to get fit. You sound very determined, and that's great! Maybe you could start out walking, and then build up to running as your body gets stronger and more used to physical exercise. You'll find everyone on this site to be very positive, encouraging and motivating. Feel free to friend request me if you'd like. :)

Also, if you're on Facebook, please feel free to check out the group I created over there, called Motivation. Many positive, encouraging people over that way, too! http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=268180696780&ref=ts

Best wishes on your fitness journey!

~ Chandra
  • Bellydance
    Bellydance Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Welcome here!! I too am new and done with being fat. I am going to get this weight off and with all the encouragement we can find on this site it's gonna happen this time!. I agree with the walking. I try to walk/run sometimes but don't like running very much. Too many things bouncing around LOL. Wash the floor with a rag and your legs and make it a workout (you don't have to log it of course but it's still burning calories!!). Park far away in the parking lot or better yet, walk to the store. Work out with the people on television with soup cans for lite weights. Just move all the time whenever you can and it burns calories and builds up your muscles so you can burn more calories at rest too. Do stretches and try yoga. There's some shows on TV or get a DVD. Yoga is freaking hard and is a great workout. It gets your organs to release toxins too which helps your body to learn to release all kinds of crap, including FAT! Add me as your friend if you like. Good eating to you today.!
  • Sutanith
    Options
    To Hello,
    I got a wake up call, when I was having a small heart attack. I knew and have tried many times to loose weight. But never can get past it. but when that day came, and I found that walking gives me the stress, that my heart closes up. and dont let oxygen in. That scared the crap out of me. And I do want to watch my grandson grow up, and see if I get any more grandkids ;) So the weight has to come off. I started out on this , as 312, but the day I went to the the Doctor I was 319. I HAVE to get this off.
    You dont have to run, Your right, we have too much that bounce around, and we can get Black eyes that way :) So walk a little bit.
    I walk two times a week, holding on to a grocery cart. for at least 2 hours. If I get Tired, I sit down and rest a little then go again.
    I have lost now, 22 pounds, I am at a platto, that I know I will pass soon. I just keep on going and write all down I do eat. YOU can do it. I know you can. As we get this weight off, we can walk or even run. Soon. :) just keep it up.. And you will make it.
    Hugs and keep it going.
    Sutanith
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I joined yesterday myself :laugh: I'd love to add you as a friend! I have found the people here to be SUPER friendly and very supportive!

I started my journey a year ago on my own then with weight watchers and I've lost 60 lbs so far. Now I am here!

I look forward to helping you keep that positive attitude flowing!

Tired of being fat,
    Jennifer
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    Hello,
    Do you have a fitness place near you that has a pool? I do water aerobics and let me tell you....................it is the easiest form of hard exercise you will ever do. I have been doing 1200 cals and water aerobics since February and have lost almost 40 lbs and went from a size 14 to a 7/8. :bigsmile:
  • johnthefatman
    Options
    Hi and welcome
    I have completely knackered knees - severe osteo-arthritis in both (due to being seriously heavy all my life) and then 18 months ago I had a fall and snapped my patella tendon - after 4 months in a leg splint and 2 on crutches I thought I couldn't exercise. I could see my thigh muscles were wasted - but then after doing no exercise for a year I decided to try the gym - they had a free sign up offer on - and discovered that while the treadmill and even the bikes were no use at all I can manage the Cross Trainer and Rowing machines .. been going every day for the last couple of weeks and I am amazed at the difference not just in my muscle tone but also in my outlook and attitude. I also use knee supports when exercising which are good if you have any instability in the knees.
    Keep focussed and you will get there.
    j
  • vgrassi
    vgrassi Posts: 2
    Options
    Hey Bellydance!
    If you like walking but aren't crazy about running...there's this great program that might help you...it's called the Couch to 5Km marathon.
    It basically gets you started with walking and the occasional 30 seconds of jogging, as the weeks go by, the jogging portion gets longer and the walking shorter. In 13 weeks, you'll be jogging or walking at a quick pace for 5km.
    The coolest part is that you can download it as an APP on your I-phone or I-Pod touch and it keeps track of everything for you...I downloaded the couch to 10km and I'm loving it...I'm only on week 3 and loving the progress!!
    Best of luck,
    Victor
  • aharmeson
    Options
    Thank you all. This is what i was hoping to get from this site lots of support and advice. Ill keep posting as i progress.