Logging housework?

Options
How many people log daily housework. I figured that was built into the program calories already. Also if it is something you already do then it shouldn't be added. Am I wrong???

Replies

• hellokatee
    hellokatee Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I don't log cleaning or anything like that. I feel like I am fishing for more calories to eat when I do. Personally, I feel like if I clean one day and don't clean the next it balances out.
  • mrsf17
    mrsf17 Posts: 32
    Options
    I don't log it either, though it can be quite a workout when you're short on time :)
  • Raina0512
    Raina0512 Posts: 216
    Options
    During the weekend when I do my 'big-time' house cleaning (dusting, vaccumming, mopping, laundry, etc.) I do log it...
  • Joyjmb
    Joyjmb Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I did a MASSIVE 4 hour clean last weekend for family coming into town. Multiple times up and down the stairs, 6 loads laundry, mopping, vacuuming, cooking, sweeping. You betcha I counted it!!
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    I log the calories when I am over exerting myself like cleaning out my shed, mowing the lawn, anything excessive.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    I only log house work if I am doing it instensly for a long period of time. Otherwise I dont
  • TammyBee
    TammyBee Posts: 178
    Options
    I would only log it say if it were an afternoon spent cleaning garage or spring cleaning, etc. Like out of the ordinary "special" cleaning.
  • schoen185
    Options
    Like lots of others I plan on only logging when it's the "big cleaning" and things like mowing which I don't do normally and when I do them I feel like it was a BIG workout. My daily cleaning I figure is just part of my daily activity.
  • tkrall
    tkrall Posts: 109
    Options
    I log it sometimes. It depends on how hard I clean. If its basic housework like laundry, dishes, picking up... I don't log it. But once a month I do a "spring cleaning" routine. This usually takes 8 hours or so, this I log. Mainly because I'm moving furniture, scrubbing walls, and shampooing the carpet. All extra things not done on a normal basis. I don't log the full 8 hours of cleaning, usually log it around 4 hours. Most women really bust their butts cleaning and deserve to be rewarded for it :drinker:
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    well, I only clean once a week or so and then its a total overhaul of the house...moving the furniture and everything.
    the bf and i live with two cats and are just allergic enough that i feel moving the furniture to get as much fur up as i can is for the best.
    besides the fact that ive got all hardwood and tile floors so i have to vacuum and swiffer up the whole place.
    so, yes, i log that.

but if i were to clean daily i would just change my activity setting.
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    If I am doing my normal everyday housework, I do not log it. My body is already use to it. If I do a whole house scrub that takes longer than an hour, then I log it. For example, we are remodeling our bathroom. There is drywall dust and saw dust all over my house. I had to literally strip it from room to room and clean floors, walls and all furniture. It took a couple of hours, I think I logged only 1 hour for good measure.
  • tissyazd
    tissyazd Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    During the weekend when I do my 'big-time' house cleaning (dusting, vaccumming, mopping, laundry, etc.) I do log it...

This is what I do. I only log it if it feels like exercise. Just doing the daily stuff doesn't count for me.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I dont log it
  • mommypennylane
    mommypennylane Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I don't daily clean so when I clean it usually is a lot of work. I would log it regardless though because I personally don't try to make up the burned calories. I aim for a set calorie intake no matter how many calories I burned that day. If I exercise a ton today but don't do anything tomorrow but I had the same amount of calories both days I hope it evens out.
  • AndriaLL
    AndriaLL Posts: 162
    Options
    I don't log regular everyday housework. However, last weekend I cleaned a friends house who had recent surgery, and did her windows (outside in 90*+ heat), which was a lot of up and down on a ladder, not to mention moving the ladder (2 stories tall), for 4 hours, so I wore my HRM. It burned close to 400 extra calories and I felt hungry and exhausted afterward. So I logged it.
  • TammyK777
    TammyK777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I log it! My setting is for sedentary (sp?), so I log just about everything.
  • happy_jax
    happy_jax Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I agree with with what lots of other people have responded...little day to day things (like I do a quick vaccum every day because we have cats...goodness knows how they can create so much mess in 24hours!!) I do not log - however, every other weekend I spend virtually a whole day cleaning the house top to bottom - and then I do log for sure!! I usually wear my HRM to make sure it's accurate but you do burn a hell of a lot of calories (and are always tired that night as though you've had a good workout!) So why not!?
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I don't log in house work. However, one day I wore my heart rate monitor while I washed my car. I burned 100 calories. LOL
  • jodiking
    jodiking Posts: 30
    Options
    I clean my parents house for them every other week...since it is a good sized house and usually takes me a few to several hours to clean it and I only clean it every two weeks ,I do log that time as an extra workout. Now when it comes to my own house, I do not because it is just part of my regular daily life. Even when I do a deep clean on my own house I do not log it...just would seem weird for me to do that for some reason lol
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    This is a fine line when you log house work because you are not aways in motion as you may assume. Sweating and continuous motion is not the same thing. I will log mowing the lawn but I would not trouble the other things because it sets up an excuse to over eat. I focus my logs on any exercise that takes me over 20 minutes on continuous motion. I do not log those 10 minute and 15 minute walks. The body needs at least 20 minutes to start burning.