Now what do I do???

Options
Since I found the website/app I've went from 235 lbs. down to 187 lbs.I eat right and I walk on the treadmill 4 to 8 miles at least 5 days a week.I'm a 51 year old male,6 feet tall.Now instead of looking like most guys my age(pot belly/couch potato type),I look like a bean pole!
I want to build my body but don't know where to start.I don't want to look like a muscle bound bodybuilder,I just want to be toned with good looking arms and chest.
So,my question is,where do I start as far as lifting?Or,should I just do push ups and pull ups?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Look into Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength of Strong Lifts 5x5. Both are good beginner weight training programs (am am partial to Starting Strength myself). You will not bulk up like a body builder unless you want to...it doesn't happen by accident; doing that is very deliberate and requires bodybuilding genetics, a spot on body building diet, years of bulking and cutting cycles, years and years of proper training, and most often a boat load of supplements and steroids.

Just start lifting and keep on getting your nutrition. It's a slow process to be sure, but I look substantially different today then I did last year today due in large part to my lifting routine.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I don't want to look like a muscle bound bodybuilder,I just want to be toned with good looking arms and chest.

Don't worry about that. You don't accidentally start looking like a bodybuilder. Congrats on your weight loss. This next part of your journey is going to require a bit more work and a whole lot more patience. As previous poster said, look for a beginner routine. I'm not sure I would jump straight into SS or 5x5 if I was 51 years old and new to weights.

Check out this website. He is basically a stable in the fitness community that is older and has nothing to sell you.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Yeah absolutely, it's a slow process. At the most, you can expect to gain 2 lbs of muscle with 2 lbs of fat, each month. And that's if your calories are on point and you're lifting heavy and continuously.

I second Stronglifts 5x5. Very simple program but about as fundamental as it gets.