Monkey Branching

Options
DMZ_1
DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
What are your thoughts on monkey branching?

For those unaware of it, monkey branching is when someone actively starts to look for a new relationship before breaking up with the current partner. If executed correctly, when the break up happens, the person is already walking into a new relationship.

In a lot of ways, I think monkey branching makes sense. The downside to monkey branching is being monkey branched by someone.

Replies

• MM_1982
    MM_1982 Posts: 374
    Options
    People monkey branch all the time.

The old saying rings true "People are only as faithful as their options". I've seen this displayed MANY times among my male friends.
  • DMZ_1
    Options
    People monkey branch all the time.

The old saying rings true "People are only as faithful as their options". I've seen this displayed MANY times among my male friends.

I've observed women monkey branching more frequently than men.

But yes, anyone with options is more inclined to monkey branch. And usually, women have more options. Just look at online dating inboxes for proof.
  • FatHuMan1
    FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I'd say if you're actively looking for another partner then relationship is already over, you're just too much of a coward to admit it. Not to mention it shows a total lack of respect for your current partner, which, regardless of how you feel about them, is the bare minimum they deserve.

So yeah, no.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    shows lack of respect for yourself, your current partner and whoever the new branch is.

plenty of people do it, but those people are nutless *kitten*, so there ya go
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    OP, why are you trying to date monkeys? is that even legal? why do you want to date multiple monkeys?

i'm reporting you to the ASPCA.
  • Iceberg_Simpson
    Iceberg_Simpson Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    It's a bunch of monkey business, if you ask me.
  • junglejane12
    Options
    If you're not happy in your current relationship, end it first and take some time to think about what you really want! It's not fair to your current partner or any future partners. Lets face it, it's cheating, no matter what you call it.
  • sjsosu
    sjsosu Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    If I think it depends on the relationship. If your in a married relationship where both partners are relatively engaged, and there is hope to work on the relationship to increase the satisfaction for both partners, then looking for an upgrade outside of the relationship will destroy it, and is a despicable thing to do. You can't be actively engaged in a relationship with one foot out the door.

On the other hand, if both partners have thrown in the towel, there is no communication, or even a desire to improve a failing relationship then there are other considerations. If staying in a loveless relationship serves to avoid serious distress financially, socially, with family, or for other reasons, then it at least has some benefits if not contributing to companionship, or emotional support. If both partners understand where things stand, why cause unnecessary duress while other options are not available. Perhaps it's not wise to let go of one branch before you have the next one in sight.

edit - It's important point of reference that both partners be aware that either of them may be looking outside the relationship. In any circumstance where one partner has no idea that the other is potentially looking to upgrade, it would be nothing more than cheating and hurtful. No way to paint that in a positive light.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    sounds like someone who has issues with being alone and confrontation.

In the end someone is getting poop thrown at them.
  • defenderoftheuniverse
    Options
    You shouldn't monkey around with peoples feelings.
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    OP, why are you trying to date monkeys? is that even legal? why do you want to date multiple monkeys?

i'm reporting you to the ASPCA.

i think simian love is allowed in some states
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    this
    I'd say if you're actively looking for another partner then relationship is already over, you're just too much of a coward to admit it. Not to mention it shows a total lack of respect for your current partner, which, regardless of how you feel about them, is the bare minimum they deserve.

So yeah, no.

this
    \shows lack of respect for yourself, your current partner and whoever the new branch is.

plenty of people do it, but those people are nutless *kitten*, so there ya go

and this
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    sounds like someone who has issues with being alone and confrontation.

In the end someone is getting poop thrown at them.

+1
  • DMZ_1
    Options

LOL!
    If you're not happy in your current relationship, end it first and take some time to think about what you really want! It's not fair to your current partner or any future partners. Lets face it, it's cheating, no matter what you call it.

What about the idea that it is easier to find someone new when you already have someone? Sort of like the idea that it is easier to find a new job when currently employed. Does that line of thought apply here? What’s the difference?

In a way, monkey branching could be setting yourself up nicely going forward.
  • junglejane12
    Options

What about the idea that it is easier to find someone new when you already have someone? Sort of like the idea that it is easier to find a new job when currently employed. Does that line of thought apply here? What’s the difference?

[/quote]

But it's still cheating. How would you feel if your partner was setting herself up nicely and you were totally blindsided by it?
  • ldrosophila
    Options

LOL!

IDK at least your new employer understands when you have to give the old job a two week notice. The scheduling of two relationships is horrendous unless you can work out some sort of sister wife scenario.

Of course maybe the new relationship will understand when you have to give the old broad a two bang notice.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options

So yeah, no.

Truly this. And that's a disgusting way to treat someone you once loved/cared for and who may be completely oblivious to what's going on.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

LOL!

not a valid analogy to the job situation because there's no emotional attachments to jobs and it's just business. people move all the time and should do so for better opportunities, especially since economic trends since the 80's/90s largely result in employees being penalized in the long run for staying loyal to 1 employer for the majority of their working career.

in relationships, the only people who are attracted to people already in relationships with others are pretty much bottom feeders who want what other people have and usually end up not wanting to keep something so easily stolen

so i guess i come down to what type of relationship you want : if you want a mature grown up relationship built on trust, honesty, open communication, intimacy and mutual respect then monkey branching isn't the way to go
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options

Wow... Well, a relationship is a personal bond between two people that's hopefully based on some trust, open/honest communication and some form of committment. A job is when someone pays you to do something that benefits their business in some way.

When you go behind the back of the person who you're in a relationship with, searching for someone new because you're unhappy for some reason, you're betraying the trust of that person. In cased you missed it - betrayal of trust.

When you search for another job, that's just career advancement. Unless you've signed some sort of agreement or contract saying you won't look for anotehr job in a certain period of time, there's nothing immoral about it.

See the difference now? Monkey branching is douchey. Looking for another job is business, not personal.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    Im not one to do it ..mostly because its hard for me to find anyone I have any interest in..in the first place...

so doing this is not really plausible or even needed for me

but most people do seem to do this often and i dont really care.. i guess they do not want to be alone or are afraid of being alone more likely