Looking for a good treadmill

Options
I am looking to buy a treadmill for my home, but there are so many, I am not sure which one to get. I noticed that I like the ones that are more sturdy that do not make as much noise when you run on them. Tv or ipod features do not mean much to me as much as the shocks. I don't want to sound like a train when I run. lol. Gold's gym had some really nice ones that go up to a 30 incline and a -3 slope. I really like those. Does any one have any suggestions? I am not wanting to spend more than $2,000. Folding and storing it does not matter either. I just want a nice one that I can get a lot of use out of.

Replies

• MyIdaho54
    MyIdaho54 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have a gym membership and therefore do not own a treadmill. I like to use consumersearch.com when evaluating consumer items. Here is their current evaluation on treadmills: http://www.consumersearch.com/treadmills

Good luck!
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    amazon-logo-wallpaper.png
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I do not have one personally, but I use a Proform at work, and I like it a lot. They would be well within your price range. I have used a good mix of treadmills from doing a lot of travelling, and I enjoy walking on this one the most. I hear their customer service isn't the best, but since I do not own it I really could not say. I just can tell you it is comfortable to walk on, has a nice powerful motor, and usually have a lot of options included.
  • DownsizingAaron
    DownsizingAaron Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Reading reviews on Amazon.com is one of the best ways to research anything. They sell so much of things that most products have a healthy number of reviews. I read some of the positive but I also read a lot of the negative to find out what was bad about it too. Rarely disappointed!
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I think you'll be able to find a GREAT treadmill that meets your needs without even spending $2K. You can use online reviews and such to narrow your search but the best bet is to actually go into the store and try out the one you're gonna buy. I would hesitate to buy a treadmill online because they're not the easiest to put together and then if something goes wrong you have no one to call. In my case, I really had to try it out to see if my books fit in the book rack (you're probably laughing but most "book racks" don't work and this is very important to my motivation) and if the motor was quiet enough that I could watch a movie while I ran at usual 6mph and NOT wake up my son as I ran. It's like trying on clothes: some people can buy off the rack and some people can't.

I actually got a great one by Norditrack at Sears a couple years ago for under $1K. I don't know which one I got, and they probably don't make it, but it was the "second highest end" not the "highest end." Allows for high incline, heart rate and such, with the features that were important to me.

FWIW, this time around I paid full price but back in the day I had another of the same brand that got thrown out while I was away on military travel (yeah, that's why he's my ex). With that one we discovered that (especially this time of year) people buy them and return them and Sears would sell them for 1/3 of the price but still backed by the full warranty. Just a thought.

I love to run outside, but as a single mom who lives up north that's not always practical! My treadmill is one of the best fitness investments I've made. Best wishes to you in finding one that's right for you.
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    In Dec 2003 we bought a Smooth treadmill.
    Ten years on and it's still going strong. It's a workhorse, never any issues.
    I ordered a heavy duty one with an extended running surface since I'm tall.
    Our model is non-folding and it's a beast, but I like how heavy duty it it.

Look at
    http://www.smoothfitness.com/
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    In Dec 2003 we bought a Smooth treadmill.
    Ten years on and it's still going strong. It's a workhorse, never any issues.
    I ordered a heavy duty one with an extended running surface since I'm tall.
    Our model is non-folding and it's a beast, but I like how heavy duty it it.

Look at
    http://www.smoothfitness.com/

Oh wow, hey this is the company I was going to buy back in the day. The internet was brand new back then, so I'm not even sure how I found out about them (probably from someone at my gym) and my limited research made it a great choice. It was gonna cost a couple grand though, and I liked the NT one in the mall (only $600 which was a LOT more back then than it is now). Glad to know someone is enjoying their products!
  • chubbybunnee
    chubbybunnee Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I think you'll be able to find a GREAT treadmill that meets your needs without even spending $2K. You can use online reviews and such to narrow your search but the best bet is to actually go into the store and try out the one you're gonna buy. I would hesitate to buy a treadmill online because they're not the easiest to put together and then if something goes wrong you have no one to call. In my case, I really had to try it out to see if my books fit in the book rack (you're probably laughing but most "book racks" don't work and this is very important to my motivation) and if the motor was quiet enough that I could watch a movie while I ran at usual 6mph and NOT wake up my son as I ran. It's like trying on clothes: some people can buy off the rack and some people can't.

I actually got a great one by Norditrack at Sears a couple years ago for under $1K. I don't know which one I got, and they probably don't make it, but it was the "second highest end" not the "highest end." Allows for high incline, heart rate and such, with the features that were important to me.

FWIW, this time around I paid full price but back in the day I had another of the same brand that got thrown out while I was away on military travel (yeah, that's why he's my ex). With that one we discovered that (especially this time of year) people buy them and return them and Sears would sell them for 1/3 of the price but still backed by the full warranty. Just a thought.

I love to run outside, but as a single mom who lives up north that's not always practical! My treadmill is one of the best fitness investments I've made. Best wishes to you in finding one that's right for you.

Thanks for the tip! I wish there was a like button! I have a sears only a mile away! I will check them out and try them out in the store. I definitely need to find out which one is the quietest. That is my main concern as I have a room mate the sleeps in the room next to where the treadmill will be.
  • DigitalDiana
    DigitalDiana Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I bought a treadmill used and paid $150. it has ALL of the features... fat calories burned, total calories burned, heart rate monitor, foldable... it is possible to pick up a used treadmill that people have very gently used... as people buy new and then fall off the wagon, not use it ,and then sell it highly discounted. I would definitely check used prior to spending big bucks as there are some very good deals to be had out there on exercise equipment.