Help new and need some suggestions

Options

Replies

• da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am new to MFP. I have found in the past that I can stick to a diet for about 2 weeks then I begin to get very tired. At that point I realize that I just need to eat. I try to make sure I eat enough carbs (not usually a problem since they are my favorite) to maintain the energy levels. But I only ever last a few weeks until I am exhausted all the time. I tried weight watchers and they gave me 26 points a day probably around the same 1450 calories that MFP gives me to use. Any helpful hints or anything to offer to keep from being exhausted in 2 weeks so I dont quit again? I didnt even try throwing in exercise last time I fear I wont even last the 2 weeks.

To be honest, carbs are really not the way to go ifyou're trying to avoid being tired. Carbs don't give you instant energy, they have to go through a pretty major conversion process for your body to even use them. Your body will use protein and fat first, and store the carbs for later. Also, carbs get converted to sugar, which will lead to spikes and drops in your blood sugar levels so you will feel energized for only a short while and then crash. Try to stick to lean proteins like chicken, turkey and fish; add fruits and vegetables for the main bulk of your food. Carbs should be minimized. Exercise will be easier for you as well, if you are consuming a good amount of protein and avoid the carbs.

This is completely incorrect. Carbs are the first source of energy your body uses. It only converts protein into carbs if it has to, and will store fat as fat as much as it can. If you are active then you need carbs for energy or else your body will not function optimally, especially during exercise.

sorry, you are incorrect. The body must covert carbohydrates,which are a complex organism, to a simple sugar, by chemical process in the liver. Once converted to sugar, the body will burn that if necessary, but if there have been any other foods (fats or simple sugars) ingested, these will have been used first, by the time the conversion process is complete, and the carbs will be stored. In the last 50 years Americans have moved away from eating saturated fats (which would be used first) to eating large and multiple serviings of carbohydrates (mainly in the form of white, refined starches). This is the reason for the obesity epidemic in our country.

did anybody else notice that she called a carb an organism?
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am new to MFP. I have found in the past that I can stick to a diet for about 2 weeks then I begin to get very tired. At that point I realize that I just need to eat. I try to make sure I eat enough carbs (not usually a problem since they are my favorite) to maintain the energy levels. But I only ever last a few weeks until I am exhausted all the time. I tried weight watchers and they gave me 26 points a day probably around the same 1450 calories that MFP gives me to use. Any helpful hints or anything to offer to keep from being exhausted in 2 weeks so I dont quit again? I didnt even try throwing in exercise last time I fear I wont even last the 2 weeks.

To be honest, carbs are really not the way to go ifyou're trying to avoid being tired. Carbs don't give you instant energy, they have to go through a pretty major conversion process for your body to even use them. Your body will use protein and fat first, and store the carbs for later. Also, carbs get converted to sugar, which will lead to spikes and drops in your blood sugar levels so you will feel energized for only a short while and then crash. Try to stick to lean proteins like chicken, turkey and fish; add fruits and vegetables for the main bulk of your food. Carbs should be minimized. Exercise will be easier for you as well, if you are consuming a good amount of protein and avoid the carbs.

This is completely incorrect. Carbs are the first source of energy your body uses. It only converts protein into carbs if it has to, and will store fat as fat as much as it can. If you are active then you need carbs for energy or else your body will not function optimally, especially during exercise.

sorry, you are incorrect. The body must covert carbohydrates,which are a complex organism, to a simple sugar, by chemical process in the liver. Once converted to sugar, the body will burn that if necessary, but if there have been any other foods (fats or simple sugars) ingested, these will have been used first, by the time the conversion process is complete, and the carbs will be stored. In the last 50 years Americans have moved away from eating saturated fats (which would be used first) to eating large and multiple serviings of carbohydrates (mainly in the form of white, refined starches). This is the reason for the obesity epidemic in our country.

*raises hand*
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I work in the medical field

I'm just curious...What do you do? You've posted that you work in the medical field in a couple of posts but never state what you do. I also work in the medical field, but it's in administration, so I'd never run around MFP saying I work in the medical field. I'm not trying to be rude, just trying to find out what you do...because that's pretty broad working in the medical field. Someone could be a janitor at a hospital, technically, they work in the medical field. Again, not trying to be rude...
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

I'm just curious...What do you do? You've posted that you work in the medical field in a couple of posts but never state what you do. I also work in the medical field, but it's in administration, so I'd never run around MFP saying I work in the medical field. I'm not trying to be rude, just trying to find out what you do...because that's pretty broad working in the medical field. Someone could be a janitor at a hospital, technically, they work in the medical field. Again, not trying to be rude...

I've been a Respiratory Therapist for 8 years, and now I've moved into a Supervisory position. Studying to work in the medical field is what got me started on the road; but extensive research on my own fitness journey while dealing with multiple medical problems is where most of the knowledge I have comes from. I stick to medical websites and sources, and interaction with physicians as well.
    In Respiratory, there is a large area where knowing about nutrition is very important, especially if you work in Pulmonary Rehab, which I have. My own medical problems have made it necessary for me to find out as much as I can about proper nutrition and safe fitness.
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options

mccindy72- you are the one who is incorrect. Carbohydrates are the body's first source of energy used (before protein, fat, and alcohol).
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

*raises hand*

Yep. That, coupled with a few other erroneous phrases, have led me to discount most of what she says.
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options

I have only just realised that you said 'Try to stick to lean proteins like chicken, turkey and fish; add fruits and vegetables for the main bulk of your food'. Now this I can agree with this to a degree, as protein is important, as are the micronutrients from fruits and vegetables, but this diet would have too little fat. Also fruit and veg are carbs, so getting the main bulk of your food from these wouldn't be minimizing carbs, and I don't understand the lack of fat when you've said how important fat is.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

I've been a Respiratory Therapist for 8 years, and now I've moved into a Supervisory position. Studying to work in the medical field is what got me started on the road; but extensive research on my own fitness journey while dealing with multiple medical problems is where most of the knowledge I have comes from. I stick to medical websites and sources, and interaction with physicians as well.
    In Respiratory, there is a large area where knowing about nutrition is very important, especially if you work in Pulmonary Rehab, which I have. My own medical problems have made it necessary for me to find out as much as I can about proper nutrition and safe fitness.

keep reading till all lines converge
  • DC_run_lift
    Options
    Only accept physiology suggestions and advice from those who work within the medical field...IMO. Carbs being burned first is the most rediculous thing I've heard EVER.
  • alexandriax03
    Options
    Absolutely incorrect. Simple sugars (carbs) are burned first. Amino acids and fats are dead last and are too expensive to "burn" so the body holds off until it's the last resort.

Amen. Carbs are burned first, fats are burned second, and protein is burned last.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    If you're too tired you either aren't eating enough calories, aren't getting enough rest, aren't eating the right things, you're ill, or you're too stressed. Try to figure out which of these it could be and make a change to see if there is any improvement.

This!^

You need to experiment to see what works for you. Dieting should not make you tired. Find your BMR & your TDEE.....see if 1450 is appropriate. Then find the right balance for your macros (protien, fat, carbs)....it's not the same for everyone.

BMR - basal metabolic rate ..... calories needed if you stayed in bed all day

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/bmr-calculator.html

TDEE - total daily energy expenditure .... calories you use based on activity level (including exercise)

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Keep in mind that MFPs numbers do NOT include exercise. MFP will give you extra calories for that.....so 1450 is actually a "net" number.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Glucose is already a carbohydrate, as is absorbed straight into the blood from the intestines. The other types of carbohydrates which aren't glucose are converted to glucose by the liver and then used as energy. If the body doesn't need these carbohydrates they are stored as glycogen in the muscles, ready to be used. Any further excess is stored as fat.
    Athletes consume a lot of carbohydrates to give them the optimal performance during exercise. This is because carbohydrates are used for energy.
    When carbs and protein are eaten together, the carbs prevent the protein being used as energy. You don't want the protein being used as energy, that's not what protein is for.

Glucose is a simple carbohydrate. Consumed carbohydrates like bread and pasta are COMPLEX carbohydrates and have to be converted to simple carbohydrates by the liver, as I said before. Simple sugars are used immediately for energy, which is why drinking soda or juice will give you energy quickly, and then in a short while, you will crash without backup energy.

If you pay attention to what athletes do, they carbo-load HOURS before an event so that their body has time to convert the complex carbs to simples and store them for energy to be used during an endurance event. When carbs and protein are eaten together, the protein is used immediately, while the carbohydrates are broken down (a long process) and then stored.

I suggest that you look up the process of how protein is converted to energy.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    respiratory therapist does not an expert make

hilarious !
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Only accept physiology suggestions and advice from those who work within the medical field...IMO. Carbs being burned first is the most rediculous thing I've heard EVER.

Umm... That's mostly true. Discounting alcohol, carbs are the first macro burned.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    OUr current food pyramid is incorrect, as it lists too many servings of carbohydrates and ignores the body's need for healthy saturated fats.

Is the food pyramid still in use? I thought it got replaced by MyPlate. Are they coexisting? (I like MyPlate better.)
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Which reminds me, OP, that the MyPlate site has a lot of nutrition information. I would check it out to make sure you are eating a balanced enough diet. There is a free diet/exercise tracker similar to MFP's, you could try putting in your info to see if you are getting enough calories. If you are, I'd look at being sure that you are getting enough protein, fats, iron, and B vitamins.

Are you shooting for 1 or 2 lbs a week? If 2, go for 1. You'll get there faster than if you quit due to fatigue.
  • Karina6712
    Options

I'm not sure how your welcome post turned into a huge debate. If you want to know how to get started here are a few tips that have worked for me, on battling fatigue:

- exercise gently each day. It may be a short walk or some yoga, but you will be surprised at how even a little exercise will boost your energy
    - drink plenty of water
    - avoid refined sugars and processed food as much as humanly possible. Sure, we all crave a cookie now and again. Make it a special treat, not an everyday occurrence. Plus, these kinds of food will spike your blood sugar, giving you a false sense of energy. The crash is what sucks. Caffeine should be limited also. I used to consume so much caffeine for energy. I have found I feel better when I skip the caffeine in the morning.
    - Cook your own food as much as possible. I mean sauces and seasonings, even cereal bars. The simpler the ingredients, the better. Limit buying packaged food.
    - As for carbs, choose complex carbs. Previously in this thread someone explained how your body digests carbs from an apple differently than carbs from rice. Anything that is a whole food, such as fruit, vegetables such as sweet potatoes, are better carbs than the carbs you will get out of things made with white flour and sugar or grains that are overly processed, and you will find you have more energy from eating those kinds of food.

Also, there was a suggestion that maybe you need more than 1450 calories. Try upping it a couple hundred calories for a couple weeks and see if you are losing weight and if you have energy. If you still are fatigued, you might need to look into how you are eating. Hope these suggestions help!
  • alexandriax03
    Options
    This post turned into a huge debate because McCindy posted a lot of inaccurate information, after she posted a forum titled "Beware of uninformed." Thought that was kind of funny.

We wanted to make sure that the OP is getting the correct information. At least I wanted to make sure the OP was accurately informed!

I agree with everything Karina posted. Definitely try to stick to whole foods. When you go to the grocery store, the "good stuff" will be on the outside walls of the store. The aisles in the middle are the foods you should avoid (processed foods). I'm not saying ALL foods in the middle aisles are bad but a majority of it is.

I would definitely start with modifying your diet first. If you don't see an improvement in your energy level after a few weeks, then make an appointment with your doctor. Have blood work done. You might be anemic. Make sure you are taking a women's daily multiple vitamin. Also look into taking a super B complex vitamin daily. If you are on other medications, those might be the culprit of your fatigue.

To give you an idea of healthy foods you should be eating… Here's a list of foods I eat:

Protein:
    Greek yogurt
    Ground beef (95% lean)
    Steak tips
    Salmon
    Chicken
    Cheese (rarely)

Fats:
    Almonds (any other nuts are also healthy fats… walnuts have the highest amount of fat)
    Avocado
    Olive oil

Carbs:
    Sweet potatoes
    Brown rice
    Whole wheat bread
    Whole wheat crackers
    Low-fat granola

Fruits:
    Bananas (high carb)
    Green and red apples (green apples have less sugar than red apples)
    Grapes (green grapes have less sugar than red grapes)
    Raspberries (low glycemic index)
    Blueberries (low glycemic index)
    Strawberries (low glycemic index)
    Peaches (I buy Dole frozen peaches for smoothies)
    Mango (I buy Dole frozen mango chunks for smoothies)
    Pineapple (I buy Dole frozen pineapple chunks for smoothies)
    Pomegranate

(Try to avoid dried fruits because they contain A LOT of sugar)

Veggies:
    Asparagus
    Broccoli
    Carrots
    Celery
    Cucumbers
    Mushrooms

For treats, I usually buy Dole's chocolate covered banana slices (with or without almonds). One pack is 100 calories. I hear they also make chocolate covered strawberry slices as well but I haven't been able to find them.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

To give you an idea of healthy foods you should be eating… Here's a list of foods I eat:

Protein:
    Greek yogurt
    Ground beef (95% lean)
    Steak tips
    Salmon
    Chicken
    Cheese (rarely)

Fats:
    Almonds (any other nuts are also healthy fats… walnuts have the highest amount of fat)
    Avocado
    Olive oil

Carbs:
    Sweet potatoes
    Brown rice
    Whole wheat bread
    Whole wheat crackers
    Low-fat granola

Fruits:
    Bananas (high carb)
    Green and red apples (green apples have less sugar than red apples)
    Grapes (green grapes have less sugar than red grapes)
    Raspberries (low glycemic index)
    Blueberries (low glycemic index)
    Strawberries (low glycemic index)
    Peaches (I buy Dole frozen peaches for smoothies)
    Mango (I buy Dole frozen mango chunks for smoothies)
    Pineapple (I buy Dole frozen pineapple chunks for smoothies)
    Pomegranate

(Try to avoid dried fruits because they contain A LOT of sugar)

Veggies:
    Asparagus
    Broccoli
    Carrots
    Celery
    Cucumbers
    Mushrooms

For treats, I usually buy Dole's chocolate covered banana slices (with or without almonds). One pack is 100 calories. I hear they also make chocolate covered strawberry slices as well but I haven't been able to find them.

Is it healthy because you eat it?
    (Macadamias have more fat than walnuts, btw)

Surely the op can eat what she likes as long as it fits her macros and she gets sufficient fiber?
This discussion has been closed.