WHERE do I start!?

Options
Goals. Not resolutions. Goals which are measured and more focused to accomplish.

My goal: Lose 100 pounds. Yikes.

i am 28 years old. PCOS. Disgusted with myself (physically). I have no confidence. I look at pictures of me after I had lost 50 pounds, and I think, wow that girl was HOT, what happened to her?! I want that back- and then some. For my health. For my happiness.

I have some challenges. I work full time- not an excuse, just an obstacle. The gym in my SMALL town is limited on equipment but it works. The grocery store in my town is even MORE limited. Considering the next closest grocery store is 80 miles away, I need to figure out how to make this one work with its seriously lacking produce department. I love fresh produce but don't buy as much anymore because the quality and selection here are dismal, and even if I travel the 80 miles to a chain grocer with a better selection, it still goes bad within a few days.

I got a heart rate monitor for Christmas, I am excited to use that to have a better idea of how effective my exercise sessions are in terms of calories burned.

I just don't know what to do to start. I need a plan that I can follow and stick to and keeps me focused. My time is precious and I want that hour at the gym to give me a lot of bang for my buck. I want to start with a goal of working out 3 times a week, starting with 20 minutes of cardio each time but building to 30-40, plus strength training.

Why I am posting this here: I want to hear what worked for people who have/had similar goals to mine. What workout plans did you follow? How did you stay on track with healthy eating? We hunt, so we have a freezer full of deer and elk meat. I'd like to use that as much as possible as my main "meat" instead of buying water pumped and antibiotic laden chicken at the store.

Replies

• bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Honestly, just plug all of your goals and info into MFP and eat the calorie goal it gives you plus exercise calories.

You can hit that calorie goal every day with whatever foods you choose. If you eat what you like, you're more likely to stick to it long-term, but aiming for a balanced diet is always good from a nutritional perspective.

Do whatever exercises you enjoy. Having a HRM will make it much easier to log accurate calorie burns.

Really, just keep it simple.

Calorie deficit for weight loss.
    Exercise for fitness.
    Log everything accurately and consistently.

It works. :smile:
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Have you considered frozen produce?
  • 2720cynthia
    2720cynthia Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Honestly, just plug all of your goals and info into MFP and eat the calorie goal it gives you plus exercise calories.

You can hit that calorie goal every day with whatever foods you choose. If you eat what you like, you're more likely to stick to it long-term, but aiming for a balanced diet is always good from a nutritional perspective.

Do whatever exercises you enjoy. Having a HRM will make it much easier to log accurate calorie burns.

Exercise for fitness.

This, exactly! Good luck--you can do it!
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Step 1: Log Everything.

You can't really set a plan until you know what you are currently doing. How many calories do you consume? How many calories do your regularly burn during exercise or during your daily life?

Step 2: Start making changes.

Once you have logged enough to know what you are currently doing, you can start making changes. If you have too much fat in a day, look at what you eat and see where you can swap out a high-fat item for a low-fat item. If you don't get enough protein, figure out what additional protein sources you can add. If you have problems with fiber, or sodium, or any other item, you can swap items into and out of your meals to solve the problem.

Step 3: Don't try to exactly replicate anyone else's plan.

There are lots of online diets, eating plans, etc. They might be perfect for someone else, but that doesn't mean anything about you. You need to base your plan on the things you actually eat and the things you actually do. If you just dump out everything you normally eat and instead start eating something that someone else said to eat, you will quickly get tired of how hard it is. But if you simply make your plan based on what you already eat, what you like, and what you will do, you are more likely to be able to stick with it.

Step 4: Exercise. Lift some weights.

When you start losing weight, you will lost fat, water, and muscle. You need to lift some weights to keep your lean muscle intact.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    No excuses...

is what you tell yourself. Everyday. When you're really tired and worn out from work just make yourself get up and go work out. The hardest part of going to the gym is.... going to the gym. Just like going to work really.

As far as a routine do some research online. Put something together that is a mix of cardio and lifting. Maybe you work out for an hour a day, 30 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of lifting.
  • squiggles409
    squiggles409 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It has already been said, but yes, KEEP IT SIMPLE. It's really hard to jump into something complicated and then stick to it. Definitely do log everything! And consider frozen produce. Even that can be steamed and still maintain positive nutritional benefits. You have a great attitude, and that's half the battle. I have friends with PCOS and it can be hard to drop weights, but DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED!! It can be done, just remember to hold yourself accountable, but at the same time, don't get down on yourself if you slip up. Tomorrow is always a new day to start fresh. Feel free to add me as a friend, and I'll help motivate too!

As for what to do in the gym, I have used freetrainers.com. You input your info and they create a free workout plan based on your fitness level and gym experience. It's a great place to get started! (and it's free!). There are videos for a lot of the exercises if you're unsure as to what they mean.

Welcome to the fitness journey! I know you'll do great!
  • fallenoaks50
    Options
    Have you considered frozen produce?

You could also start planning a garden for spring if you have some backyard space.
  • Matt24442
    Options
    Eat, lift, and sleep
  • Ladyluna39
    Options
    Get a fitness video, check out team beachbody.com and look at some of those programs!
  • Matt24442
    Options
    Get a fitness video, check out team beachbody.com and look at some of those programs!

yRrow2U.gif
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=path+to+sexy+pants

Start by reading that to help you get started.

I'd also advice that you adjust your goal of 100lbs to something more reasonable such as 50lbs. 100lbs would require you to lose roughly 2lbs per week. While that is possible and very doable during the beginning, your progress will begin to slow as you drop fat mass.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Exercise for fitness.

This!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    find and sign up for a race that is in about 6 months. like a spartan race or something. it's a great goal, because it gives you a day that you need to be ready by. it's a 5k run, plus obstacles, so you know you have to do both cardio and strength training.

and if you sign up for spartan, you get daily emails of their work out of the day. you can also get these work outs without signing up for a race. lol. i'm a new yorker too, and i've swam in both the East River and Hudson. The waters have gotten increasingly better over time, and are very safe to swim in.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I love fresh produce but don't buy as much anymore because the quality and selection here are dismal, and even if I travel the 80 miles to a chain grocer with a better selection, it still goes bad within a few days.
    There are probably other places, but VegetarianTimes.com has a great section on how to store all types of vegetables and fruits so that they stay fresh longer. You'd be surprised at what should or should not be stored together. I have saved myself plenty of $$ now that I know how to store it all properly.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Goals. Not resolutions. Goals which are measured and more focused to accomplish.

My goal: Lose 100 pounds. Yikes.
    I like that about goals, not resolutions.
    And yes, set yourself smaller goals that aren't so intimidating. Like losing just 10% of the weight as a first goal. Then 10% of your weight for the next goal. It's much easier to stick with losing say, 35 pounds, mentally.
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I looked at your profile and then found this on the web; these are farmer's markets in your area:
    http://nfmd.org/wy/dubois/1003281.html

I also live in a small town, though one with a decent supermarket. The gym near me, however, had no locker room or showers in hot, humid Florida. I tried it for a while, a couple of times. Didn't work for me.

What did work, however, was getting a mini-bike that sits right by my desk (I work at home). Everything I need is within arm's reach, and I don't have to get dressed to go to the gym. :-)

As others have said, find what works for you. Find what makes your commitment easy/easier.

I outlined what worked for me here, but your mileage may differ:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1095703-mfp-1-year-anniversary
    Here's a follow-up:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1153938-next-stop-maintenance

I like the suggestion of smaller goals. I had a 51-pound loss goal throughout, but I didn't set any kind of deadline on that. I kept saying I'll get there when I get there, and eventually I did. No pressure, just a lot of patience and consistency. That consistency continues now in maintenance.

You've got this. One day, one step at a time. Just keep on keepin' on.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    YAY you for getting started!!!
    I began by logging my food. Once i was able to see the numbers i had a better idea of where I adjust my choices.

Cool gift HRM....I used mine to get an accurate count of my daily caloric burn without exercise. This made it easier for me to set up my food diary numbers.
    It took a couple weeks to really get a good feel for using that part accurately.

All the while I went walking when I could. Work breaks, lunch and after work.
    After 3mos. Of tracking, light exercise and using all the information I could search on MFP about how to lose efficiently and successfully I was able to come up with a real nutrition plan and workout routine that allowed me to utilize the rescources I had available.

I also learned early on that strength and weight training gave me the quickest weight loss and most pleasing changes to my overall body composition. I lift weights 2-3 times a week followed by a 10-15min high intensity caloric burn thru a HIIT program (google it) easy peasy for me cause I don't like cardio. I still walk n hike often.

Start slow, begin excercise and LOG,LOG, LOG!!!

Best of luck to you:flowerforyou:
  • macybean
    macybean Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    You live in Dubois. You don't need a gym…you have one of the most amazing outdoor recreation areas in the world out your backdoor. Hike, ski, snowshoe. Seriously I'm totally jealous! I've spent several vacations based in Dubois. On a bad day you can go look at the Jackalope and laugh off the calories!

I do think that if I lived in Dubois frozen veggies would be the best bet…other than your short farmer's market season.

Good luck to you…and when the weather is right, go hike up whiskey mountain for me!
  • dlbredesen
    dlbredesen Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Even small grocery stores will usually order what customers request. Frozen and canned vegetables can be just as good as fresh. In spring and summer the farmers market has a wonderful selection of fresh produce. Find an exercise you love (or at least tolerate) be it walking, running, zumba, yoga, lifting and stick to it. Add or try other forms of exercise later. Best of everything to you in you quest for better health!!