What are you doing to recharge for the new year?

Options
Especially if you've lost steam during the last month or two. I've been maintaining the past couple of months, and while I'm happy that I haven't gained, I really should have continued on to reach my goal weight. I need to get back into that determined and motivated way of thinking.
So if you're in the same boat, what is your plan? Adding new friends for support, accountability, motivation? Adjusting your calories or workouts? Following fitness blogs? Trying a new workout? Any tips you want to share?

My issue has never been working out. I like exercising. It's my calorie count. My plan is to start counting calories close to maintenance and then lower them until I'm at a reasonable deficit. If I lower them too quickly I start to imagine that the bit of hunger I feel must mean I'm starving the death and therefor must eat all the cake in the whole world.

Replies

• GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Making sure I get enough sleep.

When tired, my "charge level" is low (i.e. poorer attitude, less stamina, less resolve to not eat all the xmas candy, etc.).
  • glove2u
    glove2u Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Getting my run down pact. I had gotten away from my fitness pal and went from 187 up to 195. That won't happen again. I'm down to 191 in the 10 days I have been back on it. Hopefully I can be under 190 to start the new year.
  • greattimes
    greattimes Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Try to get back to exercising more. Walking and lifting weights. There is always some excuse its to cold, I'm depressed. Its time to forget the excuses and make myself do it.
  • EvaStrange
    EvaStrange Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about spicing it up by ordering meal plans from Happy Herbivore or Meghan Telpner and do three or four days of super-clean eating to rewind and reset my body and mind, so to say. I've also ordered the book "Thrive" by Brendan Brazier earlier, because I need something to make/keep me exited about nutrition and healthy eating. It's too easy to fall into a "Whatever!"-state of mind when your regimen was interrupted by a food orgy of christmas-y proportions…

All in all, I think that now that I've eaten my fill of cookies and candy, I'm going to focus on eating clean instead of restricting calories, because I've grown tired of the latter. And it usually has the same results. :smile:
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments. It's nice to hear what your thought processes are. I ordered some workout DVDs that I think will help me stay motivated with working out. Now I need to get on that food plan...:ohwell:
  • mrsjones2point0
    mrsjones2point0 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I committed this morning to doing the 12-week challenge at Gold's Gym. But, as part of that challenge, I'm making my 12 week challenge more about learning to be a runner than just focusing on weight loss. I'm about to marry in to a family of runners, and while my fiance isn't a runner so much, his family does every 5K in town and they do it together. . . so guess who's gotta get in shape for that?
  • ChiaGnome
    ChiaGnome Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm taking a Spring semester class that will focus on both cardio and weight lifting. I'm super pumped about increasing my endurance and learning how to lift heavy. Pretty much four months, twice a week. I'm still scared, though, because I used to FEAR gym classes in high/middle school.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Completely new set of base daily recipes. Seasonal, fast and packed with flavor. Whole grains only -severe reduction in any food made with a ground grain flour. Breads, crackers and pastas have been a problem for me- no matter what the were made of. I am editing them from my daily diet. 30 days without them has really cut my food cravings by 90%. I am replacing fast carbs with healthy fats.
  • fallenoaks50
    Options
    I'm going to organize and deep clean my house this weekend. It's easier for me to focus on my goals when I'm not living in chaos.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Completely new set of base daily recipes. Seasonal, fast and packed with flavor. Whole grains only -severe reduction in any food made with a ground grain flour. Breads, crackers and pastas have been a problem for me- no matter what the were made of. I am editing them from my daily diet. 30 days without them has really cut my food cravings by 90%. I am replacing fast carbs with healthy fats.

The more pasta I eat the more I want! Increasing protein helps me stop the cravings for sweets and pasta.