Eating 3 times a day vs. 5 times a day

Options
I've been doing the Walk away the Pounds DVD since Aug 2013 while doing the Atkins diet and I have lost 30 lbs. Then I hit a plateau for 2 months. No weight loss, no weight gain. I just got the Insanity work out and they are saying to eat 5 times a day. I don't want to do that. I've tried that in the past and that does not work for me. I'm not interested in buying any of their food products either. I like what Atkins has done for me and plan on sticking with it. My question is, does it really make a difference in the number of times you eat a day so long as you are getting the right numbers or calories/carbs your body needs for working out?

Replies

• Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    no it doesn't matter....next caller....
  • Saramelie
    Saramelie Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    You can eat as many times you wish, or not, and it won't matter in the end, you will lose if you eat at deficit and that's it. I also prefer eating without snacking, working on this right now.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    The only way it could possibly make a difference is if you fast like 16-18 hours and do some LISS cardio just before you eat the first time each day. If that was the case, you could theoretically be actively burning into fat stores just before you refuel. The difference it could make is virtually negligible, though.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Eat as many times as you like! I personally feel better (more satisfied) eating bigger meals less frequently. No hunger, no energy dips...
  • westendcurls
    westendcurls Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    No it doesn't matter. its 100% up to personal preferences. I like snacks and smaller meals but thats just me. As long as you have a calorie deficit you'll lose weight.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    ^^ What they said. Regarding your plateau, have you adjusted your weight and goal settings in MFP? Now that you weigh less, your daily burn and cardio burns are lower than when you started.
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    If you can split the meals you are currently eating 3 times a day into 5/day(same amount) go for it.

Add more water each meal to fill the hunger.

This way the biggest factor is that your body won't feel 'hungry' and you won't go on binges.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. For people who prefer eating smaller, more frequent meals, it helps them not feel as hungry, which makes them eat less/stick to their calorie goal. Personally, I only have time to eat 2 or 3 times per day, so my meals are larger and less frequent, and I'm losing weight anyway.