Do you correct people on weight loss myths?

Options
I'm not sure if this is the right board for this, but no other board seemed to fit, so....

So my cousin is having a destination wedding in 2015, so yesterday at Christmas dinner all my aunts and uncles and cousins were discussing the "group diet" they all plan on embarking on Jan 6th. I didn't really join in, because I already started my own weight loss and fitness journey a while ago, so I just listened to them come up with TERRIBLE ideas.

A couple times I pointed out when something was flat out wrong, but they are so convinced that these crash diets and miracle pills work.

In a different instance, my co-worker started selling those "It Works" wraps, and I listened to her one day telling someone how you can lose 10 inches in 45 minutes, and it's permanent. The person asked how it works, and the explanation was "It pulls the lipids right out of your fat cells". I just cringed.

So my question is, when you encounter something like this, do you speak up and correct people when their information is so far off? I sometimes do, but I'm doing it less and less because it seems so futile... but at the same time, it seems like if I don't say something, I will feel responsible if they harm themselves with dangerous diet methods.... or in the case of the It Works wraps, waste their money!!

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Depends on who it is, but for the most part I would assume grown adults can make their own decisions (no matter how wrong those decisions may be) and they're unlikely to listen to reason anyway.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Depends on who it is, but for the most part I would assume grown adults can make their own decisions (no matter how wrong those decisions may be) and they're unlikely to listen to reason anyway.
    this.

i will if asked but otherwise, it's not worth it. plus people are less likely to take your advice (especially the good advice) if you're overweight :laugh: which i never understood because i'd figure someone overweight telling me "no your juice cleanse won't work" would be a lot more believable than hearing "an easy way to lose weight is wearing a sauna suit" from an overweight person. i guess the thing is, people dont like hearing there's no easy way
  • Ant_the_old_keith_lemon
    Options
    the ones who say "i lost 10lbs in a week with [name your diet]"

i always jump in with...

were you stiffing your face the previous week and showed restraint the week you were on it? so you had 10 lbs of food inside you?

i then tell them nobody can shift 10lbs of fat in a week

These are usually the ones who get disheartened with the seconds weeks no loss and on the third are back to their old ways.
  • skinny0000
    skinny0000 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I think there is a great value in people learning for themselves that some things in life require hard work, not "one weird trick." I remember I went on a fad diet and I shared my goals with one of my co-workers who had lost over 150 lbs. She told me that that diet (the one I was trying) hadn't worked for her, but she gave me the support I needed. And I ended up failing.
    Now, I know in retrospect, that girl knew it was a fad diet... She could have torn it to pieces in front of me and told me I was stupid, but she decided that it was more important to love me and support me and let me find my own methods and learn as much as I could in the process.
    On the other hand, I might say something if it is potentially dangerous, starving themselves, taking diet pills from foreign countries, crystals that expand and fill your stomach, etc.
    Also, Ready2rock is right, I wouldn't have listened to reason: it wasn't that I was so sure of myself, it was more that I NEEDED so badly for this to work.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I tried to correct someone on Facebook that stated obese people shouldn't be lifting, and that when he sees them at the gym he thinks they should put down the weights and get in the cardio area. The reason.....because they need to create as big of deficit as possible.

When I told him to do some research on the benefits of lifting in a deficit, how no matter what you do if you're under TDEE you'll lose weight he stated I spent too much time studying theory in a book and how third doesn't apply to the real world.

Went down hill from there...
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person. Generally I don't waste my breath, because most people don't want to hear "move more eat less" and will reject that advice right out of the water. With my partner, I have spoken up a few times, because I'm the one that has to deal with the fallout when the raspberry ketones don't work or when the crash diet inevitably results in him crashing.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Nope. People believe what they want to believe.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    if it's my best friend I would just offer my opinion. If it's people like my aunts and uncles who still see me as a snooty 13 year old (I haven't been that age for more then 20 years) I don't bother since they don't think I know anything anyways. When they asked how I lost weight and I said that I calorie counted, they replied that that doesn't work ... sigh
  • MeredithDeVoe
    Options
    It just depends on the conversation and the relationship you have with the person. I'm a peacemaker so I tend to drop things that turn into arguments anyway, and the older I get the more I'm okay with letting people have their delusions... you can offer your voice of reason, but if people are resting their hope on popping a few African Mango tablets and losing 40 lbs, they'll find out soon enough.
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    My best friend insists she gained a lot of weight while she was only eating one meal a day and not getting enough calories. When has a friend who puts her on fad juicing cleanses (you can't have grapefruit or other citrus fruits, OMG!!!) Who told her the common myth of the body storing any fat when you don't eat enough. I tried to explain to her she cant gain weight while in deficit, But she is convinced, because she lost on the juice cleanse. She is vegetarian, But doesn't eat much protein, mostly potatoes, pasta with lots of cream and cheese, and I can see how one meal a day could potentially put her over, especially if her body doesn't have the energy tomove as kmuch as she normally would. Also she drinks alcohol so there's that.

Now she's happy with her weight since when she gained she got boobs along with the other fat. Her new goal is to "firm up ". I am not even trying to explain to her that you can't firm up fat. Sigh.
  • Laura3BB
    Laura3BB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Well I do tend to comment - but I'm working in health so people believe me more :-)
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I do hear it quite a bit around my gym and occasionally at work. I for the most part don't say anything unless I am asked. Last time I ever said anything was to one of my younger cousins on FB. She isn't super obese like I was in the past but wanted to "diet" to lose weight. She updated her FB status about some 7 day diet thing. I don't recall the name of it but it involved cycling foods every day like eating only bananas and milk day 1, veggies and water day 2, etc etc. She had tons of FB friends giving her support. I told her diets don't work, gave my 2 cents mentioning MFP and even tossed up a Before/Current pic to show my progress on there. I was pretty much dismissed. I haven't brought it up since. Oh and she stopped updating her dieting progress after day 4 I think. XD I don't bring it up anymore but if she ever does ask I will help her.
  • ashiii1
    ashiii1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The kinds of people who tend to loudly proclaim those ridiculous myths often have poor critical reasoning skills. Also, they may lack the ability to accept or admit their own ignorance. This lovely combination of traits mean it's often hopeless to try and offer a viewpoint that counters their own. The wikipedia article on the Dunning-Kruger effect is a relevant little piece of reading.

Of course not all people who believe myths are like that, but it's important to choose your battles wisely.
  • rella_1003
    rella_1003 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My best friend insists she gained a lot of weight while she was only eating one meal a day and not getting enough calories. When has a friend who puts her on fad juicing cleanses (you can't have grapefruit or other citrus fruits, OMG!!!) Who told her the common myth of the body storing any fat when you don't eat enough. I tried to explain to her she cant gain weight while in deficit, But she is convinced, because she lost on the juice cleanse. She is vegetarian, But doesn't eat much protein, mostly potatoes, pasta with lots of cream and cheese, and I can see how one meal a day could potentially put her over, especially if her body doesn't have the energy tomove as kmuch as she normally would. Also she drinks alcohol so there's that.

Now she's happy with her weight since when she gained she got boobs along with the other fat. Her new goal is to "firm up ". I am not even trying to explain to her that you can't firm up fat. Sigh.

Can you explain what you mean by you can't firm up fat please?
  • feast4theebeast
    Options
    I gave up on correcting people a long time ago. People tend to make their own choices not always based on well researched information. In my experience some people panic and go for the illogical option - but not everyone :) It is their body they can do as they wish :)
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options

^^^This^^^

Politics, Religion and Diet are three areas in which it is nearly impossible to reason with people. For the most part, people believe what they want to believe. That has at the very least been my experience.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I don't bring up weight loss, but if someone else brings it up and says something false, yes, I correct them.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

In case you're serious, fat is fat, it's soft, flabby tissue. You can't do anything to change that, other than lose it.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I don't bring up weight loss, but if someone else brings it up and says something false, yes, I correct them.

This! Just went through this Christmas Eve, my 2 sister-in-laws were both discussing how they keep bouncing between the same 5 lb weight loss, and that they were going to try the "wraps" and some new diet pill. I couldn't help myself and said you can just give me the money you will waste on those, and do this miracle diet: Weigh your food, and Get off your butt.

So it just spiraled down from there, with every reason they can't lose: I'm getting older, I ruined my metabolism, I eat 1 meal a day, I eat too late, blah blah blah.

My last response was: Well I'm 8 years older than both of you, I eat 1-2 meals a day, my last meal is usually eaten in bed followed by ice cream or some other treat, and I've lost 93 lbs so want to rethink your excuses. (My husband decided it was time to go home after this) lol
  • rella_1003
    rella_1003 Posts: 70 Member
    Options

In case you're serious, fat is fat, it's soft, flabby tissue. You can't do anything to change that, other than lose it.

So would I have to eat at a calorie deficit until I have a flat stomach before I try and make it look leaner?