Why is there a protein limit?

Options
I always go over my protein limit, but I dont know why that would be a bad thing. Any ideas?

Replies

• ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I think the default setting on the site is pretty low for protein. You can change it to whatever you'd like. I have my breakdown set at 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fat.
  • wob722
    wob722 Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm not a dietitian but I don't think it's a bad thing either. The Mayo Clinic site gives a % range for your carbs, protein and fats and the top of the range would exceed the default setting that MyFitnessPal uses... if you're concerned, I'd check with a doctor or dietitian to be safe :)
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    MFP sets the protein kind of low ... it's recommended for women to have 25-40% protein when trying to lose weight. Protein is great for helping our muscles recover and grow. If you go over 40% consistently, you could develop kidney problems down the road.
  • PoppyK
    PoppyK Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Will be anxious to hear the feedback on your question. I am ALWAYS over on protein...and sugar as I eat a lot of fruit. Quite low on fat. Thanks for asking!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    It's not really a limit. It's a suggestion. :laugh:

But it's still set pretty low IMO. I just changed mine to what I wanted it to be.

As for it harming your kidneys down the road, you can eat a freakingly large amount of protein without any problems as long as you have normal kidney function. In one study, the people ate 2.8 g of protein per kg of body weight and didn't have any problems.

The kidneys do work hard to process protein so you can help them out by drinking more water. I consume 125 or more grams of protein a day but I also drink 80-100 oz of fluid.

As for sugar, the current US guidelines are for ADDED sugar in a day. The sugar in fruit is not added. It's there naturally. So it wouldn't even count. But there is no way to get MFP to only count added sugar so you have do some math to figure out what your added sugar is. Some people like to limit all sugar though -- it does have the advantage of not having to do extra math. But, if you are going to go that route, I would set your limit higher than the one for added sugar -- something that lets you have a piece or two of fruit a day as long as you stick to the low sugar fruits.
  • dcturcotte
    Options
    MFP does have the limits set pretty low by default.

In the short term, excess protein can be converted to fat, but that is far less likely then something like carbs and fat being stored. Your kidneys will work harder if your body takes in to much protein and in the long run you can damage them but thats only if you go way to far over for a very extended period of time.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    delete
  • PoppyK
    PoppyK Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the sugar explanation...I feel better about that!
  • amesserschmidt
    Options
    thanks guys. I really dont go wayyy over my limit just a little and I was just wondering if there was something I didn't know about protein. Now i feel comfortable going over my protein because I've been doing lots of muscle toning so I know its all going to good use. Thanks!
  • Mrbackslap
    Mrbackslap Posts: 145
    Options
    I get in anywhere from 160-180mg of protein and trust me I use every bit.
    Protein is a big key in muscle development and toning.
    If your working out very hard a good protein shake will help you right after a workout.
    You wont bulk so take in as much as you like :)