Overweight with arthritis

Options
Just joined My Fitness Pal today. I need to lose over 100 pounds, I have arthritis and would love help and suggestions as to what low impact or cardio exercises are best for a beginner who has been sedentary for quite a while now. (How else do you think I got this way, silly?) I hope to start out doing something at least 3 times a week then increase from there. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I can walk for only about 10 minutes at a time right now, but want to know what more I could do for exercise. Thanks!

Replies

• MyIdaho54
    MyIdaho54 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Welcome and great question! I also have arthritis, mostly in my knees. Kudos for getting started on a program! In my case, I have found weight training helped, in particular leg presses to strengthen the knees. I use a treadmill at the gym and just walked at slow pace and for a short duration until I could walk faster and for a longer duration. Yes, I did feel a bit intimidated by the young folks that get on the next treadmill and run for long periods but most have been very encouraging and supportive. I suggest trying low impact exercise such as: swimming, water aerobics, recumbent bike, or an elliptical trainer. Good luck! :smile:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Welcome, both of you!

I hear swimming and water aerobics are good for people who have arthritis. They are both low impact.