Running shoes?

Options
I'm a beginner runner, and I'm wonder exactly *how* important good running shoes are... I can't afford to spend $200+ on a pair of running shoes, but I've found some that I can probably afford... Can I get some advice on these shoes? I run on roads and I have a normal arch (and I'm a bad girl and tend to land on my heels), and I usually walk/run 2 - 3 km at a time, but I'm building up to 5km+

http://www.shoeshed.com.au/womens-shoes/sports-street/11572-switchback.html
http://www.shoeshed.com.au/womens-shoes/sports-street/14055-supersonic.html
http://www.shoeshed.com.au/womens-shoes/sports-street/14353-strides.html
http://www.shoeshed.com.au/womens-shoes/sports-street/11936-ultimate.html

Replies

• the_dude00
    the_dude00 Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Go to a specialty running store. They will be able to see what your stride looks like and recommend specific shoes to match it.

I used to get skin pain pretty bad until I did that a few years ago.

That's still what I do
  • rie_q
    rie_q Posts: 73
    Options
    The problem is, as I said, I cannot afford $200+ for shoes, which is what these places will charge me. I went to one a few months back and they didn't check that at all, just pointed me at shoes which I can't afford.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I would go get fitted at a running store. ITs better to invest then to end up with huge medical bills from screwed up knees or ankles. I got mine for only $130.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Then you didn't go to the right store.
    Not all good shoes have to be $200 plus. Don't forget even if they point you in the direction of expensive shoes, you may be able to find them online for cheaper. If nothing else, try various shoes on. You would probably be surprised by how much the feel of a shoe can vary
    Personally I am loving my Innov-8 shoes. Not cheap, but not over $200 either, prices seem to range between about $130-$170
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    The problem is, as I said, I cannot afford $200+ for shoes, which is what these places will charge me. I went to one a few months back and they didn't check that at all, just pointed me at shoes which I can't afford.

Try a different store...a GOOD store will fit you for shoes. Also, there's no law that says you have to purchase them at that store. Get fitted, and buy off Amazon. I'm all for supporting small businesses, but sometimes money is tight. I'd rather purchase at a cheaper store than risk injury.
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    I'm a beginner runner, and I'm wonder exactly *how* important good running shoes are... I can't afford to spend $200+ on a pair of running shoes, but I've found some that I can probably afford... Can I get some advice on these shoes? I run on roads and I have a normal arch (and I'm a bad girl and tend to land on my heels), and I usually walk/run 2 - 3 km at a time, but I'm building up to 5km+

http://www.shoeshed.com.au/womens-shoes/sports-street/11572-switchback.html
    http://www.shoeshed.com.au/womens-shoes/sports-street/14055-supersonic.html
    http://www.shoeshed.com.au/womens-shoes/sports-street/14353-strides.html
    http://www.shoeshed.com.au/womens-shoes/sports-street/11936-ultimate.html

if you know what shoe you need then my recommendation is to buy online. I have been purchasing my running shoes online -from the US- for the last 2 years...I save around 60-70dollars by shipping it in - the pair I wear costs 220+ in stores in Sydney - only 170or so with delivery from the States. Yes you gotta wait around 3 weeks until the parcel comes through but I simply make sure I put my order in on time....I would not compromise on the shoes - I rather hunt down a better deal but would not buy a different shoe just because the one that works for me is more expensive...having the right pair of shoe for you is essential..I say there are 2 things which one must not compromise on when coming to workout gear - shoes and bras.the rest does not matter but these 2 are critical to your health and wellbeing :)
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    if you are in Australia and have a really really tight budget then check out BigW's athletic range - they had done an upgrade in the last year or so, their shoes are just as good as any non-high end brand..but you have to go there and try them on..
  • rie_q
    Options
    I literally cannot afford more than $80 for shoes, even that is a stretch. I've looked online at the brands they have at my local running store - even online, taking into account shipping they're out of my price range. And I'm not entirely comfortable going into a store and taking up the assistant's time and then just walking away.

Can I at least make do with a $50 pair for three or four months until I can afford better ones?
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

I only go to specialty running store for my shoes and the last two pairs I have purchased there, the one was 100 bucks regularly 150 bucks and the last pair they gave me a discount on top of in store sale price and got them for 60 bucks (same running shoe) the deals are there... I never paid 200 bucks for my fitted shoes.... Best of Luck
  • rie_q
    Options
    if you are in Australia and have a really really tight budget then check out BigW's athletic range - they had done an upgrade in the last year or so, their shoes are just as good as any non-high end brand..but you have to go there and try them on..

Thanks, that's the sort of thing I was wondering about, I posted the links because they were just examples of the sort of shoe... I've been told in the past that these shoes are really bad, but if they've changed I might give them a go.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Get fitted at a specialty shop. Then do your research online. Not only can you usually find the exact shoe cheaper, but most of the time? You can find LAST YEAR'S MODEL of the same shoe. Or the "previous model".

It's the bane of any runner's existence - you find the shoe you love and then they quit carrying it. Great news is that the major manufacturers realize people don't want to play guessing games on replacements, and there's usually a "replaces ___" for new shoes. Difference? Most often color, fabric, or some other factor that won't dink with your running experience.

Trust your feet/legs, btw. No matter how good the brand and fit is, it just might not be the right shoe for you. I went through 3 major brands before I found the right one for me - no more shin splints! We're all different :-)
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Without being fitted for shoes you are asking for trouble. I know they are expensive but quite honestly you won't ever make a better investment when it comes to running! I just switched to New Balance from the Puma's that I loved but are no longer being made. I was fitted for them based on what I was wearing and told if for any reason they did not feel good to bring them right back for a exchange or full refund. These were $90 and there is no rule that says expensive is better. I was looking at another similar pair of NB's but they were $40 more than the ones I purchased; glad I didn't spend the extra $40 :happy: Get your first pair there and then look for them online. I am a huge buy local advocate but sometimes we have to do what is best for our personal running budget and that may be finding the shoes online for a better price. Take it from this runner, the wrong shoes will do nothing but cause problems from the start and you'll wish you had spent the money to get the right ones!
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options

Thanks, that's the sort of thing I was wondering about, I posted the links because they were just examples of the sort of shoe... I've been told in the past that these shoes are really bad, but if they've changed I might give them a go.

I have seen the quality of their range improve in 2012 and this year - from a functional point of view (eg level of support on your ankles, cushoning etc) Now their range is very short termed (only on sale for a couple of months) so I dont know what their current range is like...BUT I definately recommend checking them out as 1, you can try them on 2, even if they dont work for you you havent lost 100s of AUDs...but..if you buy one and notice any issues then just throw it away..

Target used to have a good range when they were working with a famous athlete (a GUY) but that range has stopped. I had their 30AUD running shoe for 2 years and it was perfect for my feet (perfect amount of cushioning) then they changed to this range called spandling or whatever and I didnt like their shoes at all...

you might want to go to some of the stores this time around...Rebel and Athlete's Foot have a sale....you can get good brand shoes for cheaper..Footlocker has a "clearance table" all year around...shop around
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    if you put a cheap foundation underneath a house, you better believe you're going to be having a whole mess of structural issues sooner rather than later.
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    regarding price range....for a long time I assumed that only fools pay more than 100 for a pair of running shoe..then I found MY shoe :) an ASICS...and that is aint cheap..
    BUT it is worth every dollar ...the amount of cushioning and flexibility, hold I get in that shoe is way beyond that I ever imagined I would ever get. I couldnt run for ages..literaly. Now I can run 2-3K in 1 go - it is still not a lot but a lot for going from zero...in my ASICS..I have used up 2 pairs already and onto my 3rd but I absolutely love them. I cringe when I see people -especially heavy people like I am- in bad shoes in the gym....the investment I make with my ASICS means I dont get knee pain, I dont get hip pain..in fact when I had a fall a couple of weeks ago and had a bruised knee I could do some running whilst still getting treatment from my physioteraphist just because I was walking and jogging in those ASICS....any other shoe would have worsened the situation but with the ASICS I could ease myself back to it..
    I have awful balance as well - I used to trip over and fall in other shoes...I am still yet to trip and fall in my ASICS...I am not getting paid by ASICS and yes they are one of the most expensive brands on the market - but hey they are worh every dollar for me...
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    Also if you have some pre-existing conditions (high arch, low arch, pronation etc..) ever hurt your knee etc..you really have to be careful about your shoe...and might have to invest a bit more than 80 - think about putting it on a credit card? or layby?
    But if you have no issues and dont plan to run a marathon in your shoes then a cheaper but carefully chosen shoe might just be fine to get started with..
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Orthotics made by the podiatrist (usually covered by insurance, you get reimbursed, so in theory (my case) they can end up being "free"), and put into a moderately priced running shoe ...