im confused again!! lol

lushy20
lushy20 Posts: 215 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
i had my weigh in today. it says iv gained 3lbs but measured my hips and waist and iv lost an inch of both.

how does that work out???

Replies

• pcw52
    pcw52 Posts: 26 Member
    You might be adding muscle and it weighs or could be fluid. You weight changes several times a day. You might weigh less tomorrow.
  • brettatk
    brettatk Posts: 12 Member
    A pound of muscle of course weighs the same as a pound of fat except that muscle takes up a lot less space. So that's how even though you aren't losing weight (or even a slight gain) you might still be losing inches.
  • I agree with the reply about gaining muscle weight ....
  • TammyBee
    TammyBee Posts: 178
    They are right. Don't get lost in the numbers just keep at it!
  • lushy20
    hopefully i see them numbers go back down soon tho lol
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    How often are you weighing? I would recommend once a week and never the day or two after a big workout because you will retain water, and in the end it isn't the number on the scale but how you look and feel :drinker:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    It probably isn't muscle, very VERY rarely can an individual eat at deficit and create muscle. And then, it is an extremely slow process. So, I'd say, congrats on the inches lost and don't worry a thing about the scale. Might be water retention or a full intestines, but either way, the inches matter more than the scale...:flowerforyou: :bigsmile:
  • lushy20
    How often are you weighing? I would recommend once a week and never the day or two after a big workout because you will retain water, and in the end it isn't the number on the scale but how you look and feel :drinker:

i did weigh early this week but today is a week from when i last weighed.
    i do exercise 3 - 5 days a week at between 40 - 60 mins a time then i walk everywhere too instead of buses unless its too far out of the way.
  • jac2lyn
    jac2lyn Posts: 90
    I would say this, keep up the good work. You are doing really well and their are really so mnay things that can impact your weight. For starters water weight is big. Always weigh first thing in the morning after you use the bathroom. Stress can cause weight gain (I have this issue) and even not eating enough cals can cause it. You body can go in to a starvation mode if you are eating too little. This is actually good news so make sure you are eating well and enough. You will see the scale jump back down soon!

Best of luck
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    So, one does not gain 3 lbs of either muscle or fat in 1 week. Muscle never that fast, fat, that would be a real feat (but ultimately possible). much more likely it's water weight. Normal adults can fluctuate up to 5 pounds either way of their real weight because of water and waste in their system. That's one of the main reasons I don't like the scale.

It is a pet peeve of mine when people say "it's muscle" because unless you're talking about months, it's not muscle. For someone to put on 10 lbs of muscle in a year is a major accomplishment (although doable), to do even 1 lb of muscle in a week would be a bit of a medical miracle.
  • The best points I've picked up recently have come from the Wii Fit stuff I do... the wee board pops up on screen and gives me some tips and hints every day. I'm taking them to not be made up because why would Nintendo make up lies on a Wii Fit game that is global?

Firstly the whole 8 glasses of water a day - totally helps.

Secondly, food after 9pm gets stored as fat.

But finally... to help you with your point - it recommends weighing yourself at the same time every day because your weight can change as much as +/- 2.2lbs in a day depending on water intake, eating a big dinner, exercising for an hour... so try and weigh yourself the same time every day.

And also - my weight didn't shift for the first couple of weeks and that was exercise every day and eating right every day. I now know this was my body starting to reshape itself and tone itself, the weight loss has only just recently started properly! So not every week will mean loss of lbs... but just keep doing what you're doing because it does all pay off in the end :)

xx

PS For anyone reading this I have found the Wii Fit to work wonders! The yoga workouts really do help me stretch the body out a bit and gives me a variation on going to the gym most evenings, plus I can do it in my room whilst looking out at the cold weather / rain. Seemples!
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Weight loss and the body are a strange couple. 7 years ago I gave up refined sugar, and haven't looked back. I only lost about 10lbs, but I went from a size 12 to a size 6. It was strange, every week my body just changed shape on me, until I had this whole new body. The weight was all still there, just more even distributed about my body. Then I stopped losing weight and I never had any trouble maintaining that 10lbs loss. So I think healthy eating can really effect the body in ways we haven't begun to understand.

Keep up the great work. lbs?? inches?? the important thing is that one of them goes in the direction you want.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    The best points I've picked up recently have come from the Wii Fit stuff I do... the wee board pops up on screen and gives me some tips and hints every day. I'm taking them to not be made up because why would Nintendo make up lies on a Wii Fit game that is global?

Firstly the whole 8 glasses of water a day - totally helps.

Secondly, food after 9pm gets stored as fat.

But finally... to help you with your point - it recommends weighing yourself at the same time every day because your weight can change as much as +/- 2.2lbs in a day depending on water intake, eating a big dinner, exercising for an hour... so try and weigh yourself the same time every day.

And also - my weight didn't shift for the first couple of weeks and that was exercise every day and eating right every day. I now know this was my body starting to reshape itself and tone itself, the weight loss has only just recently started properly! So not every week will mean loss of lbs... but just keep doing what you're doing because it does all pay off in the end :)

xx

PS For anyone reading this I have found the Wii Fit to work wonders! The yoga workouts really do help me stretch the body out a bit and gives me a variation on going to the gym most evenings, plus I can do it in my room whilst looking out at the cold weather / rain. Seemples!

food eaten after 9pm does not get turned into fat, any more than food at 10 am is turned into fat. Food right before bed is generally not a good idea but it's not a good idea because you don't need it, your body probably won't use it, and it can do odd things to your sleep patterns, not because it will immediately turn to fat.
This discussion has been closed.