HELP! - Losing weight with Exercise-induced asthma

Options
2»

Replies

• workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but this is not even safe. Asthma is not something to mess with. Why not diagnose it.

I have it, use and inhaler and it is fine. I am a long distance runner, do HIIT workouts, lift, ect.

There 're several Olympians with exercise induced asthma. They would not be were they are today without treatment.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Please reconsider the inhaler--you should always carry a rescue inhaler with you. People die from asthma attacks. I am not trying to be a scare monger, but at the very least you could damage your lungs by refusing to use medication.

I completely agree with this! And so will your doctor -- any doctor will give you a prescription for albuterol (or another sample inhaler) if you tell them you sometimes experience asthma symptoms. They expire after a while (1-2 years) so you should replace it periodically even if you haven't used it.

I developed asthma as an adult after a respiratory infection. Allergies and exercising in the cold were both triggers, but regular exercise resulted in a HUGE improvement in my asthma. I almost never have any symptoms now (once a year, perhaps), but I still carry an inhaler in my purse, just in case.

As others have mentioned, getting the right treatment and taking medication allowed me to do the exercise that in turn improved my symptoms enough that I no longer needed medicine.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Why in the world wouldn't you use an inhaler? I have allergy-induced asthma and make sure mine is on me at all times, just in case. It makes a world of difference. Not being able to breathe is the worst feeling in the world.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I've had asthma since I was a little kid as well-- even went to the hospital on a few occasions. The symptoms slowly disappeared as I got into better shape, but I still keep an inhaler with me. Certain (non-exercise) things will still irritate it.

As you mentioned, weight loss itself will probably help tremendously, and you can lose all the weight you want by just eating the right amount of calories. If a 30 minute walk, four times a week, doesn't irritate your asthma, you can add that as well. But keep your inhaler with you.

You can always try jogging or some other more intense exercise after you've brought your weight down, if you're so inclined. That's what I did, but I had to use my inhaler every single time.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    yep i have to hit the inhaler before i walk in the gym or ill be sorry.
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    My sister has exercise induced asthma along with climate induced asthma and she does Barre (spelling?) like the ballet workouts. She has seen great results and loves it.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    You need to get on the right meds. I have EIA and I can run, dance, etc. The meds help delay the asthma and then you have to train your endurance. You'll need to find out how hard you can work out to set off your asthma then work out at just UNDER that level. Over time, it improves.

I'm on Singulair once a day. Wonder drug. I have to be in really adverse conditions (too hot/cold/humid pretty much) before it kicks in.

I was switched over to one called Dulera, which is non-albuterol (and incredible). The albuterol inhalers tended to give me bronchitis, since they weren't as strong and I had to use them too much. :P
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    You need to get on the right meds. I have EIA and I can run, dance, etc. The meds help delay the asthma and then you have to train your endurance. You'll need to find out how hard you can work out to set off your asthma then work out at just UNDER that level. Over time, it improves.

I'm on Singulair once a day. Wonder drug. I have to be in really adverse conditions (too hot/cold/humid pretty much) before it kicks in.

I was switched over to one called Dulera, which is non-albuterol (and incredible). The albuterol inhalers tended to give me bronchitis, since they weren't as strong and I had to use them too much. :P

I actually don't use an inhaler at all. I have one (albuterol) but the only thing it did was make my mouh taste like pennies. Never helped my EIA. Singulair takes it away almost completely.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't you take your medication?
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights makes me regulate my breathing but not gasp for air like cardio.

Check out Stronglifts 5x5.
  • fitnessisearned
    fitnessisearned Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi...I was diagnosed with asthma as a child. My Dad and Grandmother have had it so it is hereditary. As a child, I could barely run, dance or do high intensity exercises without getting an attack. It's not just exercise induced, I can get it from allergies, cold etc as well. I am 29 now and I can do spin classes, zumba, hiking and am currently attending a high-intensity fitness bootcamp 3 days a week. I still can't run for long periods but I am definitely running longer than I could as a child. I DO NOT take puffs from my inhaler before or after exercises since I don't believe in being dependent on medicines. Although I do carry my rescue inhaler all the time for emergencies (which I haven't encountered yet fortunately :) )

The answer to EIA is not to stop or reduce cardio in your workout but to start slow and pick up pace eventually. The key to increasing your lung capacity for high-intensity cardio is Interval training along with strength training. I started off with walking on the treadmill at a relatively fast pace. Think of it as just a notch below jogging speed. So if you can jog at 4-4.5 mph start with 3.5 mph speed and try to increase the speed every week. Take long steps rather than short quick steps.

Wear a heart rate monitor. I have found that my heart rate shoots up very quickly when I run or do high-intensity exercises. Your heart rate needs to be between 150-175. So as soon as you see you heart rate nearing 170, slow down, take a sip of water, relax and start again slowly when you feel better. Repeat. Always breathe through your nose while exercising and try to keep your body cool. Breathing through mouth can let germs and dust get in the lungs which can act as a trigger for asthma. Also, you need to keep your body cool, which means regular sips of water during the exercise.

If you are planning to run or exercise outdoors, consider getting a fleece mask or cold weather mask to cover your nose and mouth while running.

You can also do low intensity cardio like cycling or spinning. If you are joining a spin class, let your instructor know that you have EIA. He/she would tell you to take it at your own pace and also, to stop when it gets uncomfortable. Always know your limits.

Another thing that has helped me is doing weights. I started doing strength training last year and it has increased my stamina drastically. If you are like me, your leg and arm muscles aren't very strong because of lack of physical activity earlier in life. I do lunges (all kinds - side,front, back), planks, burpees, push ups, ab crunches, squats and weights for arms.

Swimming is a great low-intensity cardio workout for someone with asthma. It increases your lung capacity as well. However, it will take longer if you plan to lose weight just by swimming as it is a low intensity workout.

Dance and Zumba are also great for cardio if you are into them. I alternate between regular cardio & strength training, Dance, Zumba, swimming and High-Intensity Interval training to avoid boredom and to prevent my body from getting used to one kind of activity. Also, always always always warm up before starting any exercise. Warming up well (that is, getting you heart to a good rate of around 120-150) greatly reduces the chances of getting an attack while exercising later.

Do not let exercise-induced asthma let you think that you have limited exercising options for getting fitter. I have lost a around a stone (14 lbs or 6 kgs) and am on my way to losing another 6 kgs to reach my ideal weight. I am not letting EIA stop me from doing cardio so shouldn't you.

Hope it helps :)
  • Jdett79
    Jdett79 Posts: 2
    Options
    Have you heard of couch to 5k or similar apps? They start out as a combination of running and walking, in the beginning it is very short bursts of running and a majority of walking that gradually increases till you run the whole thing. I am preparing to run a 5k in September 2014 and I will be doing it with a group of more experienced runners. I too have EIA, as well as asthma induced by allergies (dust being a huge culprit!) anyway I wanted to try and encourage you since it sounds like you would like to run. I have completed the whole Couch2 5K once on the treadmill and now have restarted the program and run outdoors, I don't know if it is a combination of the outside air, the lack of the treadmill's assistance in pushing me along or my nemesis 'dust' or what the difference is...but I am finding it much more difficult running outside! I don't know where you may try to run, but in my experience with having EIA it seems it was a helpful start indoors. I don't think I would have completed the first time through if I had started outdoors, but doing it was something I don't regret and I am ready do do it again!
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Years ago, I had exercise induced asthma. I had to use an albuterol inhaler every time I exercised. Later I came to realize that my symptoms were worse when I exercised outside. A lot of my symptoms went away after years of allergy injections for environmental allergens (grass and tree pollens, etc.). In other words, many of my asthma problems weren't EXERCISE induced, they were ALLERGY induced. So give that some thought, just in case that might be contributing to your problem. Also, consider this . . . for some people, including me, caffeinated coffee is helpful in opening the airways. Try drinking it right before you exercise and see if it helps.

This has been my experience, too. After allergy shots, and taking Claritin religiously every day, I have no issues with reactive airways, even in cold, dry weather. Make sure you deal with the environmental issues (allergies to mold, dust, pollen, pets, and dry, cold air) and see if that makes a difference. A lot of asthma is related to allergies.
  • MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with everyone.

I don't quite understand why you're so adverse to taking medication that will lessen your symptoms. There isn't really a point in asking for advice if you're not willing to take it. But anyways.

I've had asthma since about grade 6. I was originally told that it was exercise-induced but during the last couple of years it's progressed to being something that I generally deal with on a daily basis. I have a steroid inhaler that I try to take twice a day (two puffs in the morning, two at night (with an aerochamber)) and I always have salbutamol handy. However, I only take my rescue inhaler right before I exercise if I find that I've been having trouble during the day. Otherwise, I don't, and then I won't need it during or after.

But something that I haven't seen mentioned on here is that it's beneficial for asthmatic people to breathe through their nose during exercise. What happens is that when you become fatigued you take in large gulps of air through your mouth and it immediately hits your lungs. Without first passing through your nasal area, your body hasn't been able to clean or warm it up before it gets into your lungs and that is something that can trigger an asthmatic response in people. So whenever I exercise, I try to focus on breathing through my nose and I have found that I've needed my inhaler far less while doing this.